duplicates

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

duplicates

How do I have the system check for duplicates?
Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: duplicates

Hi @LeeT65

That's a really good question. This FAQ on duplicate contacts should help to answer your question- it explains the ways in which our system identifies those contacts. Also, if there's anyone that's signed up for your list with various different email addresses then this FAQ can help show you how to merge them into one contact. I hope those help, but if you have any other questions please let us know!

Natalie B.
Social Media Marketing Manager
Highlighted
Consulting & Training

Hi,

I am also trying to find ways to find duplicates. In my case, I create lists with bunch of emails at once. So although possible, I don't want to check each email address to check if it is already in my previous list. That will take hours if I have hundreds of emails.

According to the FAQ, it says...

Finding Duplicate Contacts

To find duplicate contacts in your account, all you have to do is search for them. Use the search field to find contacts by first name, last name, and email address. If you suspect you have two "John Smiths" in your account, for example, "John Smith" and "Jonathan Smith", use the last name Smith to find both records.

So, isn't there any function that Constant Contact can list out all duplicates before automatically merging or any other solution automatically?

Thank you!

Highlighted

Hello @user41549 ,

It looks like you're responding to a four year old thread. Our contact system shouldn't have issues with dupes, since an email address constitutes a unique contact, and whenever you upload new contacts it always checks for pre-existing email addresses. You can easily sort out your Active contacts to see if any older contacts somehow did become duped (or are off just slightly in their spelling so as to appears to be dupes). Then you can get rid of the dupes / misspellings you need to, to help clean up your lists.

If you're worried about contacts being on multiple email lists constituting "dupes," that is not the case. A single contact on multiple lists is still just a single contact.

William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted
Consulting & Training

Hello,

First of all, thank you for your response.

When I imported additional emails, I noticed a message indicating that there were duplicates, but I don't recall it did show me to check before proceeding.

It's important to know which contacts are duplicated as I use multiple lists, and some times I would need certain contacts to be in multiple lists. So I definitely don't want the deleted automatically by the system.

But I guess that's how it works? I hope it could have a feature to look into those duplicates before the system does something to them automatically.

Thank you!

Highlighted

That's correct, @user41549 . By default our system doesn't ever "delete" duplicates. It simply automatically merges them / updates them with the new information provided (if applicable). This would include adding them to different lists, as well as updating contact fields such as first name, last name, street address, etc.

William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Register for our "Making Sense of Online Marketing for Education" Webinar

Join us on Thursday, August 27th at 2pm ET for a free one-hour webinar where we will be covering how to incorporate online marketing into your educational marketing strategy.

Read More
Featured