mailto: link is sending some contacts to create an outlook account

littlegemresorts
Participant

mailto: link is sending some contacts to create an outlook account

I've had a few people when clicking a mailto: link from their phone state that it opens a window for them to create an outlook account. I have tested this myself and have no issues with it opening up my gmail account. What is causing this issue and is there a way to solve the problem?

1 REPLY 1
William_D

Hello @littlegemresorts ,

This would be a trigger caused by the contacts' device / email settings. If they're using a PC, then they will most likely cause whatever internal mail / Outlook program is already on their device, unless they've changed its settings. This is common practice across pretty much any device capable of opening mailto links. Apple devices will try to default to Apple mail unless their settings have been altered, PC's will typically default to Outlook or a similar Microsoft email program, Androids to their default email app, etc.

I'd suggest you recommend the affected contacts update their device and/or email settings to trigger mailto links to only open for their preferred email client. Or you can recommend that they just copy-paste the mailto email address and open their preferred email client / app on their own, 

William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.