In recognition of Martin Luther King Day, our Support Centers will be open with limited hours on Monday (1/18) from 10AM ET to 6PM ET. Visit our Help Center to see all of the ways you can find answers to your questions.

"Suspended" Bounces

SOLVED
Go to solution
Real Estate

"Suspended" Bounces

I've just exported bounces from the last email sent and there are 11 contacts showing "Suspended" as a bounce reason.  I review bounces following each email send and I've not come across this before, so what does it mean?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Updated: September 2017

Hi all,

Suspended is a new bounce category! Previously, if you were sending to an email address that was quarantined it would bounce as non-existent. The suspended category now shows you which email addresses we are preventing you from emailing because it's bounced as non-existent once already in the last 15 days.

example_of_suspended_category.png

If you continue to send to non-existent email addresses it can hurt your sending reputation so you will want to be careful about emailing these addresses over and over. 

We've got a detailed post here in the Community and a FAQ available for you on this category, hope this helps!

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!

View solution in original post

298 REPLIES 298
Regular Participant

Thanks for the reply, but it still doesn't make sense. This was our very first campaign, sent May 5. When I look up this particular contact, it has this as the engagement history:

5/5/15 2:04 pm Sent EOLCNY First Announcement

5/5/15 2:04 pm Email bounced as Suspended for EOLCNY First Announcement

How could it be suspended on the very first day it was sent? There does not appear to be any record of a second bounce. (The email is defintely existant, I send other emails to the contact at this address all the time).

HI @SusanL268

Thanks for the details. It sounds like this address was most likely sent to from another Constant Contact user. As I mentioned, if it bounces from any Constant Contact email (your account or not) it would go though this process. Can you give our delivery team a call for help getting it unblocked?

Thanks, 

Hannah M.

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Participant

My Suspended bounces are all due to "On vacation until ..." messages as explanations for the bounces. How do I re-send those contacts the email after they have returned to their offices? Do I have to each address and make a new list?

Hi @ChrisS219

Thanks for posting. If the address is showing as suspended it's not being sent to so it shouldn't send an autoreply. Are you getting the "On Vacation" messages at your reply to address or somewhere else?

Here's an FAQ on how suspended bounces get into this state. If this is how they are bouncing you will have to call out delivery team to be able to email them in the future. 

If the contacts are bouncing as vacation auto-reply you can resend using the resend feature and paste the email addresses in or you can add the bounces to the new list and copy the email.

Thanks,

Hannah M.

Employee

Hello @JackieG12484

If you are seeing a contact added to the suspend category without first bouncing as non-existent, the contact that you are sending to is most likely within another Constant Contact account where they bounced as non-existent first.  While we do not have a way for you to see whether the contact is on the temporary or permanent part of the suspend, we do have some recommendations.  If the contact has been bouncing for a few campaigns (over more than a two week period), then they are most likely within the permanent suspend state and should be removed from your account.  

If you feel that there is a contact that is bouncing as suspended that should not be, our Delivery team is more than happy to assist you.  They are available currently by phone through calling the main support line and choosing option 2 for "Delivery."

Regular Participant

Two main points: 1) I cannot believe when I review a single contact that there is not a field for STATUS showing if they are or are not an active functioning email address. 2) I cannot believe you do not have a report or a way to identify which of my SUSPENDED Contacts are on YOUR GLOBAL List. That means I have added functioning customer email addresses at their request and they may have never received my emails because they are on a Global list labeled as non-existent addresses, that I have no control over! If that is the case I should be informed somehow of that fact and/or be able to identify those that are on a list I have no control over, to make direct personal contact to allow them to become functional contacts as per my customers original request. With that said; "How can I identify (report) which contacts in my lists are Listed on the Constant Contact Global List of NON-EXISTENT email addresses? I just identified one where the upper management of a company has been complaining they had not been receiving our emails. I find out, he was placed on a non-existent global email list by constant contact, in 2008. My service with Constant Contact did not begin until 2011, and he was not added to my list until recent years. And now, I find out he has never received any emails from us due to someone else's bounces as a non-existent email address, but we correspond directly. This should not happen with a new Constant Contact operator!!! How can I obtain a list of all of my contacts that reside on your (Constant Contact) Global non-existent email address list??? J. R. A. Marketing Manager P.S. How is a contact notified they are no longer existent?

Please add a Suspended group just as you have an Unsubscribed group in the Contact Management Landing page of the Contacts tab view. Really would help me to resolve the issues if I could see them in a group instead of going through each campaign. Thank you Jessica

Hi @CheriM3

Thanks for posting. This is a good idea for the future!

Can you tell me more about how you are managing these contacts? What actions are you taking with the contacts who are showing as suspended?

Thanks!

Hannah M.

Hannah M.

Alot of those e-mails are good.

Some of them are being bounced as Suspended. What does that mean? How do I fix it?

Hi, We recently sent out an eblast where my email (khanh-tran.nguyen@spectrumhealth.org) was on the bounce list and suspended. However, I helped set up the eblast AND that is my correct work email. Is there a way to remove this from the suspended list? It may have been suspended since there was a time I had left the organization and would have caused the bounce. However, there are two other emails from SH, one in particular is Patrick O'Hare, our SVP and CIO. It is imperative that he is able to receive these eblasts. Please let me know if there is any steps that need to be taken to remove emails from the suspended list. Thanks! Tran

Hello @J. R.A-146972908

Thank you for passing along your feedback on this.  We do not have a report available to let you know which contacts are within our non-existent global list. You can generally see if a contact is within that list by seeing the bounce history for a contact where they have been bouncing as suspended more than once within a period of time (i.e. one month).  Also, we do not have a notification system to tell these contacts that they are within this global list because the emails will have bounced as non-existent in order to get into this state.  

Regular Participant

Every week a subscriber opened my email. Then suddenly it is marked Bounced as Suspended. WHY??!?!?

Hi @MarilynH22

If your contact is bouncing as suspended then that means that it's already bounced as non-existent once in the past 15 days. The email address could have bounced previously by someone else who has that same contact on their email list, not necessarily from a previous email that you sent them. Continuing to send to contacts who bounce as non-existent can hurt your sending reputation which is why after a contact bounces as non-existent it is put into the suspended category for 15 days. 

Since this is a contact that you regularly correspond with that is now showing up as suspended, please send them the information within this FAQ: What Should I do if my contact's ISP is blocking Constant Contact mail?. Also, once that is completed on your contact's side, please email us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username, the contact's email address, and reference this post so that we may see if that email address is still within our Quarantine. 

Thanks!

Natalie B.
Social Media Marketing Manager

If you are going to impose the sharing of the suspended entry you should also share the non-existing entry in everyones records to see. 

Participant

What does "suspended" mean on a bounce back email?

Hi @KarenT771

That's a great question, thank you for posting!

You can find out more about our Suspended Bounce category here and there's also more information about it in this FAQ.

I hope those help you to find the answer you're looking for, but please let us know if you have any other questions that we can help with. 

Thanks!

Natalie B.
Social Media Marketing Manager

What does suspended mean under bounced emails?

Hello @wichitabutler

I would be happy to go over what the status "suspended" means in our bounced category.

Repeatedly sending to the same non-existent email addresses can have a negative impact on our customers' deliverability rate. That's why we have protections in place to prevent us from continuously sending campaigns to email addresses that bounce. When an email address bounces as non-existent, Constant Contact will first place that address on a temporary hold for 15 days. During this time, our system will not attempt to send any campaigns to this address from any account. When an account attempts to send to an address in this state, the address will be included in that campaign's Suspended Bounce Category.

After the temporary hold is lifted, we will again attempt to send to that address the next time a campaign is scheduled to it. If it bounces as non-existent again, the email address will be assumed non-existent and placed on indefinite hold. During this time the email address will continue to appear in the Suspended bounce category in campaigns that attempt to send to it.

Like any bounce category, Constant Contact does not automatically remove these addresses from your account. However, we do include this category in the “Recommended for removal” filter when you manage your bounces. If an email address bounces back as non-existent or suspended, they should be permanently removed from your contact list because they are not likely to become active again.

I truly hope this helps,

Amy J

Community &
Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question,
please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in
the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Hi - I would like to remove suspended email addresses that are in the indefinite hold category.  I do not want to remove suspended email addresses that are in the 15 day hold category.  If an email in the 15 day hold category can be called Suspended and and email in the indefinite hold category is also called Suspended how can I tell the difference between them so that I only remove Suspended emails that are assumed non-existent and placed on indefinite hold?  You seem to be using the same name for two different set of circumstances.

Thanks

"temporary hold for 15 days. During this time, our system will not attempt to send any campaigns to this address from any account. When an account attempts to send to an address in this state, the address will be included in that campaign's Suspended Bounce Category".

"assumed non-existent and placed on indefinite hold. During this time the email address will continue to appear in the Suspended bounce category in campaigns that attempt to send to it."