Some customers are not able to log into their account. We are working on resolving this as quickly as possible.

"Suspended" Bounces

SOLVED
Go to solution
KarenP24318
Real Estate

"Suspended" Bounces

I've just exported bounces from the last email sent and there are 11 contacts showing "Suspended" as a bounce reason.  I review bounces following each email send and I've not come across this before, so what does it mean?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Updated: September 2017

Hi all,

Suspended is a new bounce category! Previously, if you were sending to an email address that was quarantined it would bounce as non-existent. The suspended category now shows you which email addresses we are preventing you from emailing because it's bounced as non-existent once already in the last 15 days.

example_of_suspended_category.png

If you continue to send to non-existent email addresses it can hurt your sending reputation so you will want to be careful about emailing these addresses over and over. 

We've got a detailed post here in the Community and a FAQ available for you on this category, hope this helps!

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!

View solution in original post

298 REPLIES 298

Hello @TomK52. Removing suspended emails that are on an indefinite hold is something that can be handled by our Deliverability department. You can contact them at 866-433-8499 Monday through Thursday 7am-11pm ET and Friday 7am-9pm ET. 

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

Hi Caitlin - Thank you but that was not my question.  The question is when an email address is classified as Suspended how can you look at it and tell whether it is suspended on a temporary hold or suspended on an indefinite hold because it appears that it could be either situation?

Thanks,

Tom K.

Hello @TomK52,

I apologize about the frustration you're dealing with regarding suspended contacts. Currently there is no way to distinguish between temporary Suspends and indefinite Suspends in reporting. I will follow up with our product teams and promote to have the feature included.

However, if you contact our Deliverability team they will be able to help distinguish which contacts are temporary and which are indefinite. 

Their direct line is 866.433.8499 and their hours are 7am-11pm EST Monday through Thursday and 7am-9pm EST Friday.

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
mchristo
Established Member

I agree with TomK in that these two bounce types should be distinguished.  If an email address is on permanent suspend, change your programming that flags the second bounce, so that it's classified for us as Non-Existent.  Am I missing something?  Is there a reason you didn't design it that way from the outset?

It's so tiresome that we have to vote on little things like this that would improve our accuracy and streamline our maintenance, and wait for years with no relief.  No one wants to call and wait on hold and then go over such little details by phone month after month.  It needs to be programmed for us.

Michael

Thanks for your reply about suspended emails.  If you edit the email, will it default back in to the list and be able to be sent another email?  

Hello @MargieS09,

Great question. If you're specifically talking about fixing a misspelling or changing the email completely it would register as a new email in our system (though it would be tied to the engagement history of the existing contact profile). Going forward, assuming there are no issues with the changed address, you will be able to send email campaigns to it. 

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

KimS473
Participant

I noticed that my own email is suspended. I'm not sure why because the spelling is correct...it's MY email address. How can this be reset?

HI @KimS473

A suspended bounce indicates that emails to this address have bounced more than once as non-existent. Is this a company address? Have there been any updates to your email system?

To get this looked more into it would be best to call our delivery team. They will be able to dig into the cause and unblock the address if available.

Thanks, 

Hannah M.

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

WilliamT4
Occasional Participant

What does suspended emails mean?

HI @WilliamT4

A suspended bounce indicates that the email address has bounced previously as non-existent. What happens is that an address bounces as nonexistent and is then quarantined for 15 days. If you (or another CTCT user) try to send to this address during this time the address will bounce as quarantined. At the end of the 15 day period the address will be sent to again but if it continues to bounce as non-existent it will show as suspended. If you notice any email addresses bouncing as suspended the first time you try to send to them, they have bounced as non-existent previously on a different account.

Hope this helps, 

Hannah M.

Laguna_Coast_Wilderness_Park
Regular Participant

She had opened newsletters since July; was sent one on November 4 and was suspended the same day. That doesn't match the description of how the system uses that function.

Hi @Laguna_Coast_Wilderness_Park

Thanks for posting.  If you notice any email addresses bouncing as suspended the first time you try to send to them, they have bounced as non-existent previously on a different account. It is on the second bounce that the address will show as suspended. Check out this FAQ for some details!

Thanks,

Hannah M.

JulieH161
Occasional Participant

x

Hi @JulieH161

A suspended bounce indicates that the address has bounced before as non-existent. This can be from any Constant Contact account. Is this an active address that you are able to send to and get emails from outside of your account? If so, please save the records of the email sent and recieved and give our delivery team a call for help.

Thanks,  

Hannah M.

Kcaple
Participant

What does suspended mean on bounce report? Karen

Hi @Kcaple

A suspended bounce indicates that the address has bounced before as non-existent. When the address first bounces as non-existent it is put on an internal hold for 15 days during which no emails are sent to the address. When an account attempts to send to an address in this state, the address will be included in that campaign's Suspended bounce category. Therefore, if you notice any email addresses bouncing as suspended the first time you try to send to them, they have bounced as non-existent previously on a different account.Once the hold is lifted we will allow you to send to the address again but if the bounce happens again the address will be permanently blocked and show as suspended in your account. 

Hannah M.

StaceyA36
Regular Participant

We have a staff member that has been suspended and we are not sure why. We've put her back into the system and she's actually requested to receive our emails to no avail. What do we need to do to have her re-instated? Also, how in the world did she get suspended? Stacey Anderson (is the one we want to reinstate) Thanks,

HI @StaceyA36

A suspended bounce indicates that the address has bounced before in the Constant Contact system. This means it could have been any user. If you are able to verify that the address exists and works by emailing them and getting a response please call our delivery team for help getting this resolved.

Thanks!

Hannah M.

AMEXCAPA
Participant

Hola, No se si tengan foro en español, pero tenemos un contacto que el sistema lo clasifica como suspendido, pero es un correo activo que desea recibir notificaciones, ¿Qué se puede hacer? Hi, We have a contact, who his email is bounced as suspended, however this contact is not suspended and he wants to receive our notifications. What can we do? Thanks, Regards.

Call their hotline.

Hola @AMEXCAPA

Buena pregunta! La categoría suspendida muestra cuáles son las direcciones que le impiden enviando un correo electrónico porque está rebotó como no existente ya una vez en los últimos 15 días. Podría haber rebotado como no existente de su cuenta o de otra cuenta si está suscrito a varias listas de correo. Si continúa tratando de enviar a direcciones de correo electrónico inexistentes eso puede hacer daño a su reputación de envío. La mejor manera de soluncionar este sería llamar a nuestro equipo de entrega de correo electrónico (Delivery team), ya que pueden investigar la razón se suspende la dirección de correo electrónico y desbloquear la dirección de correo electrónico si es posible. Tenemos representantes en el equipo de entrega que hablan español, así que no dude en pedir hablar con ellos si lo desea. ¡Gracias!

Natalie B.
Social Media Marketing Manager