"Suspended" Bounces

SOLVED
Go to solution
Real Estate

"Suspended" Bounces

I've just exported bounces from the last email sent and there are 11 contacts showing "Suspended" as a bounce reason.  I review bounces following each email send and I've not come across this before, so what does it mean?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Updated: September 2017

Hi all,

Suspended is a new bounce category! Previously, if you were sending to an email address that was quarantined it would bounce as non-existent. The suspended category now shows you which email addresses we are preventing you from emailing because it's bounced as non-existent once already in the last 15 days.

example_of_suspended_category.png

If you continue to send to non-existent email addresses it can hurt your sending reputation so you will want to be careful about emailing these addresses over and over. 

We've got a detailed post here in the Community and a FAQ available for you on this category, hope this helps!

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!

View solution in original post

298 REPLIES 298

Hi @TomK52

Apologies for any confusion or contradiction. Upon further research, we found that this is functioning as designed. Also, see below which was taken directly from to this FAQ:

Recommended for removal: Regularly removing these addresses your account can help promote healthier lists.

• Non-Existent - These bounces happen when the contact's Internet Service Provider (ISP) says that an email address doesn't exist. It's like the post office saying there's no one with that name in the building. You may want to double-check these addresses for obvious typos and fix them, find another way to get in touch with the contact and see if they have a new email address, or if the address continues to bounce over time, remove it from your lists

The other 2 categories that will show up under the Recommended for removal category are Suspended and Undeliverable.

This is functioning as designed and again I apologize for any confusion or contradiction. We are keeping track of this feature request and would love it for you to submit this Idea here in our Contacts Idea Board.

Thanks in advance!

Participant

What does suspended mean in bounces? Please advise...
Regular Participant

How dare you interfere with my contacts, this is taking up a lot of my time and you are suspending contacts that opened emails as recently as last week!!!!! With the cost of this service you have no business doing this and now I have to take up more of my valuable time and call to get my contacts reinstated by your service department!!!! Save this type of policing for accounts that do not actively manage their bounces!! We do and we do not need you taking away contacts that cost us capital to obtain and maintain.

Hi @HealthyHairCare

I am sorry to hear of the frustration. Suspended bounces are contacts who have bounced at least one other time within 15 days. If you have not emailed this contacts in this time period, another Constant Contact user may have. Previously, these contacts would continue to show as non-existent so we just broke this category down further. 

If you do have contacts bouncing that you think are valid we suggest reaching out to them outside of Constant Contact and asking them to reply to your email. If they are able to get and send emails outside of the account you can have our delivery team look into the cause further. 

Hannah M.

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

How do I cease notifications on this? Clearly constant contact believes they are correct even though the users have proved again and again that CC is wrong. I need to stop getting these notifications. They are just irritating me.

Hello @helmkampcc

In order to stop receiving the notifications about new messages on this topic, when replying you can uncheck the "Email me when someone replies" box in Subscriptions on the right:  

2015-05-21_1012.png

There are a few other options as well, when logged into the Community you can go to My Settings > Subscriptions & Notifications.  From here select this thread (and any additional you want to be removed from) and then go to Email Subscriptions Options and select Delete Selected Subscriptions (see screenshot below).  You can also opt out of notifications from any email notification that you receive.  Please note: We do not recommend opting out of all emails, as you might miss a response to a question or thread that you want notification for.  We recommend using the subscriptions box on the right of the screen when posting a new message or reply to manage notifications for that thread. 

2015-05-21_1016.png

Occasional Participant

I'm not sure why these people would have suspended after their names? What does it mean? Why can't I print the list to follow up with?
Occasional Participant

I see several suspended emails that are valid customers or friends. Could you unsuspend them? Thank you, Joan Lubar-Alvarez

Hi @CindyB009 and @JoanL460

I'm sending your both emails to the address listed on your account. Please followup with me there.

Thanks,

Hannah M.

Regular Participant

There is no way this contact should be suspended, they opened 3 of 4 emails sent prior to being suspended!!!! You have no right to interfere with our contacts this way and cost us extra money and time in managing
Regular Participant

How can this contact be suspended before they even receive an email, and you cannot use the contact's behavior with another constant contact user as the basis of suspending them from my usage.
Regular Participant

This person was suspended from the "Thank you for sign up" autoresponder, why did you let person join in the first place? This is such a waste of my time to try to grow my list and use constant contact, you are overstepping!!!
Regular Participant

Why would you suspend a contact that has opened every email we have sent her??? You are out of control with the policing with this!!!
Regular Participant

This prospective client gave me her card and asked to be added, none of our emails bounced and contact opened more than 50% of emails received THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT ONE THAT SHOULD BE SUSPENDED - WHAT KIND OF PARAMETERS SELECTS A CONTACT LIKE THIS???????
Regular Participant

This contact likes us so much she signed up on two separate invitations and shared her mailing address with us, thats how much she already likes us!!! Opens most emails and you suspend this contact!!!! WHO COMES UP WITH THE SELECTIONS TO SUSPEND???????
Regular Participant

This contact has been a customer and contact for 7 years and had no negative history before first bounce as suspended and contact opened most emails received prior to that!!!
Regular Participant

You should have made it know to your customers/users well in advance of coming up with this "Suspended" bounce, and your remedy is no remedy, very time consuming for small business people already trying to do too much. Thanks for ruining a good thing.
Regular Participant

This contact is on 3 lists, opened most emails, then bounced as non-existent, then opened two emails sent after that and then was suspended????? Maybe you should investigate why it was reported as non-existent and then two subsequent emails were opened?? and then you suspended??? STOP SUSPENDING MY CONTACTS!!!

Hi @HealthyHairCare

Thanks for posting about this. I am sorry to hear of the frustration it's caused. Let me try to explain this category more for you.

Suspended indicates the address has bounce more than once from any Constant Contact account. When the address first bounces it will show as non-existent and then be placed on a temporary hold for 15 days. During this 15 day period we do not allow any sends to that address. If you do try to send to the address during this time it will show as suspended. If the address bounces again after the 15 day hold the address will remain as suspended but be blocked within Constant Contact. No users would be able to mail to the address using our system. 

Ideally, you should remove this type of address since most of the address are no longer active. If you think you have an address that is active please try to email the user outside of Constant Contact and ask for a reply. Once you receive the reply you can contact our delivery team for help getting the address unblocked. 

Thanks, 

Hannah M.

Hi - I understand what you are trying to do but I think your own terminology is confusing the issue.  We have a large list and I have been spot checking my Non-Existents and Suspendeds and have had no problem deleting them because they were not opening emails or they were bouncing.  My problem is precisely understanding what you mean by your terms.  Non-existent is an absolute term but you say you will try again in 15 days so it may or may not truly be non-existent.  If someone tries to send it within those 15 days it becomes Suspended but apparently not permanently blocked yet.  If it bounces again after the 15 days the definition of Suspended changes to permanently blocked.  So if I see the term non-existent that is only a maybe.  If I see the term suspended it may or may not be permanently blocked.  One thing that would make it clearer is just use one definition of the term suspended.  If something is permanently blocked just call it blocked rather than change the definition of suspended.

Thanks

Hi @TomK52 & @GeraldA48

Apologies for any confusion with our terms. I hope I can explain them to you more effectively. 

Basically the email address you send to goes out on our servers, if the email bounces two times it is suspended. It could have already bounced twice on other accounts before you even sent to it, so that is why it could show up as suspended when you send it.

The best thing to do regarding our Delivery and Bounces is to contact our Delivery Team and you can reach them at 1-866-433-8499. They can go over the terminology with you and let you know what would cause an email to bounce back as non-existent to us.

I hope that helped explain this for you.

Here is a link to our FAQ as well