"Suspended" Bounces

SOLVED
Go to solution
Real Estate

"Suspended" Bounces

I've just exported bounces from the last email sent and there are 11 contacts showing "Suspended" as a bounce reason.  I review bounces following each email send and I've not come across this before, so what does it mean?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Updated: September 2017

Hi all,

Suspended is a new bounce category! Previously, if you were sending to an email address that was quarantined it would bounce as non-existent. The suspended category now shows you which email addresses we are preventing you from emailing because it's bounced as non-existent once already in the last 15 days.

example_of_suspended_category.png

If you continue to send to non-existent email addresses it can hurt your sending reputation so you will want to be careful about emailing these addresses over and over. 

We've got a detailed post here in the Community and a FAQ available for you on this category, hope this helps!

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!

View solution in original post

298 REPLIES 298
Occasional Participant

Doesn't make any sense.  This should be based upon my email address as the sender.  Not Constant Contact as the sender.

This is the first time that I have emailed these clients and they aren't getting my newsletter because, in the past, they marked the massage coupon email that they got through Constant Contact and the clean out your gutters email that they got as spam and now just because I am using Constant Contact they aren't getting my emails.

The email should only go into suspension if they marked the email from my email address as spam or blocked me.  My emails shouldn't be supsended because they were annoyed with the discounted oil change email.

And I am not going to waste time getting them to 'talk to their ISP to get Constant Contact reclassified as not being spam'.  If this is a more prevelent issue than the two clients that I have right now I will not be using this service. 

Whether a client has my email marked as spam should be specific to my email address, not every email coming from Constant Contact.  Your policy is like having someone mark a Gmail email as spam and going forward no-one who is using a Gmail account can email that person ever.

Hi @GeraldA48

Sorry about the delay, we had our delivery team take a look at the specifics of your account. From what we are understanding of what you are saying this behavior doesn't seem correct.  We would like to investigate your specific issue deeper. We realize you have already spoken to support and are sorry they were unable to resolve this for you but I think someone specifically trained on this part of our product could be more helpful. Someone from our delivery team reached out yesterday so if you have a chance, please give him a call!

Thanks,

Hannah M.

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Occasional Participant

Has anything been done to remedy this?

If another Contstant Contact user sends emails to contacts that happen to be on my list, and they opt out, will I still be penalized by not being able to email them?  Please advise.  Thanks.

Hi @KarenH6303,

Thanks for a great question! To "opt out" means your contact has clicked to unsubscribe. Because it happens on an account-by-account basis, a contact who unsubscribes from a single account will still be able to receive email from another account. The only deviation from this is when a contact reaches out directly to Constant Contact and asks to be placed on our Permanent Do Not Mail list which blocks ALL emails from ALL Constant Contact users.

To opt out or unsubscribe is completely separate from an email address being suspended. I hope this helps!

Nichelle M
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

Hi - I am still confused about this term? Isn't there already a classification of non-existent in the bounces? What is the difference between a contact that remains classified as a non-existent and one that you say is non-existent and then becomes a suspension?

Hi @TomK52. Great question! There is a bounce reason of Non-existent in your account. After a contact repeatedly bounces as Non-existent, they will then be put on a 15-day temporary hold and will appear under the Suspended category. After the 15-day hold, if the contact bounces again, they will then be marked as permanently Suspended and show as Recommended for Removal under your bounces. I hope this clears it up for you.

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

Thank you - that is clearer.

Hi @TomK52.

I'm glad we were able to help! Please don't hesitate to reach out again with any additional questions.

Nichelle M

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

Hi there - I am in the Trail Phase of this service and confused about the "bounced / suspended" report (alike many other clients as I learned from this 17 pages thread). My first campaign produced "suspended" addresses from customers we are make business with. We are in contact with these people quite often and I am questioning that Constant Contact will support our constant contacts with our clients. What happend with our CRM database after it as processed with your Ninja algorithms ?

Hi @DocM86,

Thanks for reaching out! We're sorry for any confusion with email addresses that are bouncing as Suspended in your account. Keep in mind that even if you haven't sent to an address before, or if you've sent successfully to an address in the past; if the contact becomes Suspended in any Constant Contact account, it will become Suspended in your account. Simply put, an address can become Suspended from any Constant Contact account sending email to it.

It's also important to remember that when valid email addresses bounce as non-existent, Constant Contact bases this information on response codes from the receiving email server. But you can help your Suspended contacts whitelist Contact Contact so that your emails are delivered. 

You'll definitely want to manage your bounces to keep your email lists clean and your database full of quality contacts. I hope this helps! 

Nichelle M

Frequent Participant

Why would an email be marked suspended when it NEVER bounced for any reason???  This is a contact who actually opens emails!  I understand that you're trying to protect Constant Contact with the suspend category but reducing bounces, but I've seen quite a few inconsistencies with the "suspend" catefory.  Not happy!!

As far as I've been told, an address should only move to the suspend state after numerous bounces of non-existent.

Never directly, if that is what you're seeing you "should" be upset.

That address that you know can be so hard to collect is just being trashed !!!

Hi @LouAnnG9

A contact could bounce as suspend if it also resides in another Constant Contact customer's contacts. They could have bounced in those accounts and therefore are now showing up as suspend in yours. Even though you just emailed them once.  The suspend is not based on each account separately, but cumulative through all accounts. 

If they have opened emails in the past, then when they were sent recently, they must have gotten out on IP addresses of ours that their ISP (Internet Service Provider) didn't recognize. Thus causing the email address to bounce back.

The best thing to do in this case is to send them the emails we've created in this FAQ to whitelist (unblock) all of our IP addresses so that this doesn't happen again. If the contact is suspended in your account, you will need to contact our Delivery Team to release it. You can reach them at 866-433-8499. They will need to see a recent email to you from that email address that shows that they are an active email address.

Thanks in advance!

I'm having the same issue. I'm finding regular customers who have never bounces and who open all of my emails suddenly moved into the "suspended" category. I this is a real problem, I'm going to have to go through all my bounces one by one now and indivifually figure out the true status of each one. That's a whole lot of hours I shouldn't have had to use up, CC. Not happy here either. 

Hi @MarkS7309,

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this issue. 

There are multiple reasons a contact which never bounced before might show as Suspended. A common example is the ISP (Internet Service Provider) the contact is housed on may have updated its security settings to stop certain outside e-mails from getting through. This is common with business addresses. A couple questions/thoughts to consider:

1) Are most, if not all, of the affected contacts from the same domain (example: john@business.com)? If they are it would relate to my previous example of updated security settings preventing the e-mail from getting through. 

2) A contact that might not have shown any problems in your account may have started bouncing on another Constant Contact user's account in-between the time you've sent them e-mails. It's a cumulative system so if they start bouncing elsewhere the next time you send them an e-mail it will show up as bounced/suspended. 

In order to best assist you, we would need to deal with sensitive account/contact information. I recommend contacting our Account Review team when you have time. Their direct line is 866.433.8499 and their hours are 7AM-9PM EST Monday through Friday. 

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Participant

I am testing out your site and ran into a problem with my first test campaign. I added my own email address as a contact and sent the test campaign, which I never received. I see this in my contact: Email bounced as Suspended for Campaign Created 2015/06/09, 12:28 PM 6/9/2015 9:50am Sent Campaign Created 2015/06/09, 12:28 PM 6/9/2015 9:50am My email domain is an Office365-hosted domain which has been working for over a year with no major connectivity problems.

Hi @ChrisC5121

I am sorry for the frustration! It sounds like previous sends from you or another Constant Contact user may have bounced to cause this. Please give our delivery team a call to get some further information and help unblocking.

Hannah M.

Occasional Participant

I am brand new to Constant Contact and we just sent our second email, and some of the recipients are first time recipients.  Three turned up on the Bounced - Suspended list.  Since these are first time sends my only conclusion is that their ISP / email provider has previously marked Constant Contact emails as spam.

Not good for those of us who are new to the service, trying to send emails to clients.

Participant

Thank you.

Hi @Joy4living

The suspended bounce category is new and is meant to help specify your bounces more. When an address bounces as non-existent Constant Contact places the address on  a 15 day hold. During this time you, and other users cannot send to this address. If you do send to this address during this time the contact will show as suspended. 

After the hold is lifted we will allow mail to be sent again to the address but if the bounce continues the address will be places on an indefinite hold and show as suspended again. If you are sure that an address bouncing is correct you are welcome to contact our delivery team to work though this. If you would rather we recommend removing the address from your account.

Thanks, 

Hannah M.

If you look at a sent newsletter you can see the bounced emails. . . some of which are labeled suspended which should be removed from my account.

How do i see the suspended emails in a specific email list? instead of from a sent newsletter?