removing contacts from my list

MarieE9
Regular Participant

removing contacts from my list

a colleague shared their contact list with me (approx 3000 addresses which i upload at one time).  we now agree that the list is not right for my business. is there a way i can delete these contacts easily? i can only identify them by date. thanks for any help

7 REPLIES 7
William_D

Hello @MarieE9 ,

I'd recommend setting up a segmentation with the criteria of Contact Details > Date Added > Is between > and then select the date / range when the contacts were added.

From there you can add them to a list on their own, then select them all in that list to wholly delete.

You could also just do a search as well with the criteria of Date Added and that specific date, and select-all for deletion from there.

William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
MarieE9
Regular Participant

hi william, 

thank you for your help. i got a far as identifying the names and then creating a segment. when i go to delete the segment, i get a message that says i will not be deleting the names from the primary list. only the segment.

this is not accomplishing my objective. am i doing something incorrectly?

thanks so much for your time.

karen

You need to select the names from the list view. For full instructions, check out the Delete a Contact... article linked in this reply and the prior.

William D

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
MarieE9
Regular Participant

hi again william,

sorry for the delay but i got sidetracked. the delete a contact solution does not help me. the example given works for deleter 4 or so contacts not 2600! because it calls for you to click on each name manually. 

i did manage to segregate the names i want removed in a segment, but as i said, if i attempt to delete the segment, the names in the main list are still there.

i hope this all makes sense and you can assist my finding a solution.

thank you so much.

karen for marie eiffel

As stated in the earlier response, you can add the segmented contacts to a list on their own, then select them all in that list to wholly delete.

William D

MarieE9
Regular Participant

i am sorry but it isnt working. i created a segment with the names and then created a new list to be deleted. but the new list and contents can be deleted but it explicitly says that the names are onnly deleted from this list and not from any other lists. they are on another list (the list i am trying to remove them from!)

That isn't a message that shows when you've explicitly selected the contacts, and then selected the Delete option from Actions, per the instructions in the article I linked. I was just able to do this in my account, and with fake test emails in your account. If you need 1:1, live guidance to perform this, please call our general support line.

William D