supression list/ exclude feature

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

supression list/ exclude feature

Hello, 

When I send an email, I would like the option to also exclude people on certain lists from receiving it. 

For example: 

Send email to everyone on List A

Except to people who are also on List B.

Is there a way to do this? It would be EXTREMELY helpful to my business.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: supression list/ exclude feature

Hi @BobbieC07

Thanks for reaching out to the Community with your question. One way you can exclude people on a certain list from receiving an email is through tags. You can segment your current contacts lists by adding a tag on the contacts you want to receive the email. This way when you schedule the email you can narrow down how receives it by choosing the tag of people on list A who are not on list B. Here is a link to our articles on how to add tags to your contacts, as well as how to filter lists based on tags in the scheduling stage of your email.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted

Frankie,

Can I suppress domains, not just individual emails?

Thanks,

Highlighted

Hi @Dkrupa,

Great question. At this time you cannot suppress based on the contact's domain. If you add every contact with the same domain to its own tag then you can include or exclude using that tag, but no way to specifically choose to suppress a domain from the scheduling page. It's great feedback that I will make sure to pass to our developers for review!

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted

Hi @Frankie_P,

This does not seem like a practical solution in my case. I had a list of several thousand people who were receiving Email A, and a list of a few hundred people (who were also on the list for Email A) who were supposed to receive Email B, and not A. Since there is not an Exclude feature, I would have had to create a new List that included everyone for Email A *except* the people who were on the list for Email B. Since I am not an Excel master, I was not able to find an efficient way to do this, so I just had to accept that some people would receive an unwanted second email. With an Exclude feature, this would have been very easy.

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

I'm with you @VarsityA1 and trying to get to a similar solution.  I am trying to create an email campaign giving a list of several thousand the opportunity to opt-out of a certain type of email, but not to be removed from their usual email subscription.  So far, the only solution I can think of is to invite the whole list to voluntarily opt in to a new list or segment, which is actually the opposite of what I was hoping to achieve.

Were you able to come up with a solution?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

This is my single biggest frustration with Constant Contact and I have been begging for this feature for years. It's offered on Vertical Response. I do not understand why Constant Contact won't add it. However, I can't get my organization to switch, so I am stuck. I am not an excel master either, but you can remove the names and re-upload your list, or i suppose, add tags per their original not really helpful suggestion.

What you need to do is take your suppress list and add it to your full list, then you need to sort by email address and remove BOTH instances of duplicate emails--not just using the regular remove duplicate function, that only removes the second instance, not both like you want. I've utilized the suggestions on this thread to make this happen--scroll down to the ones with utilizing Conditional Formatting:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9565585/delete-duplicate-items-in-excel-including-original-value

It's still a pain, but it does do the job. Good luck. (the reason I saw your thread is because I came searching once again to see if Constant Contact had added any actual solutions on their end for this)

Please, Constant Contact, again, I beg you. Add a list suppression feature!!!! 

Highlighted

Thank you for your feedback, @SydneyW07 ,

I will get it submitted to the engineers, and they will reach out if and when there's an update. That said, there is still the ability to narrow by tags (less than 10,000 contacts), or you can also make temporary lists that are copies of List A, but then have everyone from List B removed from them.

I understand that this isn't an ideal solution for your needs at the moment, but between the workaround you suggested and the methods I provided above, you can still accomplish the same essential task.

William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Constant Contact Would Like To Hear From You!

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured