Exclude certain contacts from email campaign

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ozymandias
Brand Visionary
0 Votes

Hi all,

I have looked through past conversations on this topic, and hoped some of the community may have found a solution.

I'd like to send campaigns to the majority of my lists, but exclude certain segments.  What I would ideally like to do, is have the majority of my mailing list's members remain on their list, but provide them with an option to exclude themselves from messages on a certain topic.  Looking back over past questions on the topic, I found questions from 2013 on the topic of suppression lists, with suggestion the feature was coming soon, but I haven't noticed that it was ever introduced.

Has anyone come up with a way to do this, WITHOUT needing to ask all my members to opt-in to receive a new kind of content?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Frankie_P
0 Votes

Hi @Ozymandias 

Our feature to exclude a list of tags has been added to accounts! However this tag feature isn't an available feature in accounts with over 10,000 contacts. I apologize, it appears your account falls into this category. Because of this I would recommend creating a segment or even creating a brand new contacts list. But it's important I point out Constant Contact has a strict opt-in policy, so you want to make sure you're only sending content your members have opted-in to receive. Not doing so can run the risk of your email being marked as spam or even cause contacts to unsubscribe. Polling your contacts through a poll-block is a great and easy way to see who would be interested in receiving these new emails. 

For additional insight, voting, and use cases regarding the narrow-by-tag feature for accounts with over 10k contacts, make sure to check out this Feedback thread.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Frankie_P
0 Votes

Hi @Ozymandias 

Our feature to exclude a list of tags has been added to accounts! However this tag feature isn't an available feature in accounts with over 10,000 contacts. I apologize, it appears your account falls into this category. Because of this I would recommend creating a segment or even creating a brand new contacts list. But it's important I point out Constant Contact has a strict opt-in policy, so you want to make sure you're only sending content your members have opted-in to receive. Not doing so can run the risk of your email being marked as spam or even cause contacts to unsubscribe. Polling your contacts through a poll-block is a great and easy way to see who would be interested in receiving these new emails. 

For additional insight, voting, and use cases regarding the narrow-by-tag feature for accounts with over 10k contacts, make sure to check out this Feedback thread.

Frankie.P

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Ozymandias
Brand Visionary

Thanks for your response Frankie.  It seems great that the feature has been introduced, but do you know if it will be rolled out to all accounts?  It seems strange to limit it to accounts with fewer contacts.

Working in the science industry, we have been more busy than usual in coordinating resources in the fight against the spread of COVID-19, as well as keeping members of our community unable to work in the loop, so I have been sending more frequent emails than usual.  I was wanting to give our members for whom this suddenly different information is not useful the option of opt out only from those updates, and remain subscribed for our usual emails.

I'm going to take your suggestion to create a poll block, but will the results show who has clicked on what response, to allow me to create segments for the different responses to ensure contacts are receiving the emails they would like?

Frankie_P
0 Votes

Hi @Ozymandias 

Having this exclude by tag feature in accounts with more than 10,000 contacts is a feature request our Product Team is collecting feedback on. There are many factors that are used to decide what is added to or updated in our product which can cause us to sometimes not have a timeline for when a feature will be available. The good news is you can add the contacts under a specific poll response into an email list. You can also customize your Update Profile Form so contacts can pick and choose which lists they want to be a part of.

Frankie.P

Ozymandias
Brand Visionary
0 Votes

I'll look at these options and give one a try.  Thanks for your help.

JoshF081
Campaign Expert

Are there any updates on rolling this out to accounts with greater than 10k contacts? I'd definitely find this feature useful.

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST