cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Beginner C# V3 API Example

SOLVED
Regular Visitor

Beginner C# V3 API Example

I'm attempting to use the API for a C# ASP.net project.  Unfortunately most of the examples seem to be around Version 2 of the API, or in PHP.  I'm mostly just looking to get a list of contacts.  Is there example code for C# that might be around, that shows the authentication, refresh of key and downloading a contact list?

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Beginner C# V3 API Example

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to Constant Contact API Developer Support.

Here is an example of what a call to obtain an access token might look like:

string authorization_code = "{authorization code}"
var client = new RestClient("https://idfed.constantcontact.com/as/token.oauth2?code="+ authorization_code +"&redirect_uri={redirect URI}&grant_type=authorization_code&client_secret={secret}");
var request = new RestRequest(Method.POST);

string credentials = "{api key}:{secret}"
byte[] plain = System.Text.Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(credentials);
base64cred = Convert.ToBase64String(plain);
var base64auth = "Basic " + base64cred;
request.AddHeader("authorization", base64auth);

IRestResponse response = client.Execute(request);

Note that this is what your app would do once the user is redirected to your app after allowing access during the OAuth process. You can use the RestRequest method to make other calls, such as POST calls to refresh the token.

Please have a look and let me know if you have any questions!

Regards,
David B.
Tier II API Support Engineer

Highlighted

I am in the same boat as you on V3 examples. Have you been able to get a project working with C# that you'd be willing to share perhaps?

I have a similar need, but in an automated (as in unattended) system scenario. How do I get past the Oauth interaction?

Hello,

Our V3 API is only able to be used with OAuth so there is no way to bypass the initial connection. However, once you have connected a Constant Contact account and received the initial access token and refresh token, you would use the refresh flow to exchange the refresh token for a new access token and refresh token without having to have the account owner log in again.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
David B.
Tier II API Support Engineer

Occasional Participant

Thanks for the example but RestClient is not a native .net object.  Could you please give a COMPLETE .net example of doing this from a non-user facing system using just native .net objects?  That is, probably like many companies, we have 0 need for anything client side; we just want to manage our lists from little internal .net apps.  Callbacks to URLs are confusing for non-web apps.  Can we just have an example of a .net console app that authenticates then calls an API or two?  Ideally the ones to create a list (which looks easy) and the one to bulk load from a .csv file (which looks a bit more confusing).  Again, please no magic handwaving about getting the authentication code or "put redirect URL here" since those make no sense in a non-web app.