cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Implied Consent to Express Permission through API

Frequent Visitor

Change Implied Consent to Express Permission through API

If a contact already exists in a constant contacts account. How can we change them to express consent via the API?

I've tried setting $actionByVisitor = true so as to set the contact to "ACTION_BY_VISITOR" but that has not worked.

8 REPLIES 8
Honored Contributor

Re: Change Implied Consent to Express Permission through API

Hello,

After some testing to confirm, I was able to verify that the V2 API does not currently provide a way to transition a contact from implicit permission to explicit permission. If a contact is originally created using ACTION_BY_VISITOR, they will be created with express permission.

This is something that we will address when we release the next version of the API, but I will also be checking in today to see if we can reasonably include this in the current version of the API as well.

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Honored Contributor

Hello,

After looking into this, the inability to transition a contact via API is intentional, as that should only be possible by a direct interaction with a contact on an email where they can grant that permission. I also verified that the ability to transition will not be included in future versions of the API, because that permission should only be able to be granted directly by the contact.

As a side note, we do provide an option in our API for situations such as a sign-up form that allows you to specify that the action is being taken by the contact rather than the account owner. When a contact is created, we look at this option to determine if the contact is created with Express or Implied permission. Action by contact will be Express permission, and action by owner will be Implied permission.

If you have any questions about this, please let me know!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Frequent Visitor

There are times when we have existing email addresses marked as implied consent.

These contacts then visit our site and signup for one or more lists. This is a direct interaction with the individual but we are not able to set them to express consent due to this design flaw with the API. 

We also have events where people signup for the list on paper. We keep an image of the hard copy. In such interactions we again are unable to set them to express consent due to this design flaw with the API.

If we are not able to change the status on email addresses within our lists, then the implied/express field is of no value. It serves as a hinderance.

Is the only available solution to 'never add people to lists as implied?'

If such is the case,what can we do about records that are already marked as implied?

Please advise. 

Honored Contributor

Hello,

When you are first adding contacts to your account through the API, the following should be true:

• Adding an individual Contact
    • Implied consent - Any contact added using the API with action_by set as ACTION_BY_OWNER
    • Express consent - Any contact added using the API with action_by set as ACTION_BY_VISITOR
  • Bulk Importing Contacts
    • Implied Consent - Any new contacts added through the bulk APIs will default to implied consent.

As far as having existing contacts transition from Implied to Express, our systems currently only allow that to be done by a contact interacting with one of our built-in systems designed specifically for that purpose, and it is intentional that this functionality is not available through our APIs. You can read more about how to transition contacts from Implied to Express here: https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/5924-implied-and-express-permission...

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

I have just input several in a row and did not notice until afterwards that I had to keep ticking the 'express permission'  ... so it is really quite annoying since they did in face give me express permission ... 

Hi Liz,

If you had to continually tick something it sounds like you may have not been using a program developed for our API and instead you might have been using the website instead. Is that correct?

Regards,
Jimmy D.
Tier II API Support Engineer

Ah yes, sorry, you are indeed correct ... 

Hi Liz,

In that situation it might be easier to put those contacts in an Excel file (.xls or .xlsx) and upload them. This way all the contacts are added at once and you can choose Implied or Express.

Regards,
Jimmy D.
Tier II API Support Engineer