Error when updating contact

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Error when updating contact

Hi..

I'm getting the following error when updating a contact

Any ideas?  thx again

Message = "query.param.action_by.action_by_owner.forbidden:The contact can not be opted in using 'ACTION_BY_OWNER'.\r\n"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Error when updating contact

This message usually is provided if you are attempting to do an action that is forbidden to be done by the account owner, such as opting in an contact who is on the unsubscribe list.  If a contact has been opted out, the required action_by parameter to opt them back in is action_by_visitor (I.E. the Contact is doing the request directly). 

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

This message usually is provided if you are attempting to do an action that is forbidden to be done by the account owner, such as opting in an contact who is on the unsubscribe list.  If a contact has been opted out, the required action_by parameter to opt them back in is action_by_visitor (I.E. the Contact is doing the request directly). 

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I'm getting the following error when the user doesn't even exist in CC.

Error sending ConstantConact data for Queue Operation with ID 2383 - Error Details: CTCT.Exceptions.CtctException: query.param.action_by.action_by_owner.forbidden:The contact can not be opted in using 'ACTION_BY_OWNER'.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hello,

This error is happening because the contact you are trying to create matches two criteria:

1. They were previously a contact in the Constant Contact account and have been deleted.

2. They were un-subscribed in that account.

In a case where you have an email address that holds an un-subscribed status in a Constant Contact account, the signup must be completed as ACTION_BY_VISITOR. It is also important to note that a visitor action explicitly states that the action is a response to something that the user initiated. Because this status is intended as a reaction to a user action, it will also cause the appropriate notification email to be sent depending on the action. In this case, that would be a Welcome email.

If you do have any additional questions about how this works, please let me know!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thank you.  This resolves my issue.

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact Would Like To Hear From You!

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured