Getting Started - Join Our Mailing List modification

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Getting Started - Join Our Mailing List modification

We want to create something fully functional that looks just like this:

http://www.abovept.com/gyrotonic/

Can someone point me in the right direction on where to get started? We already have our API key.

I assume it's basically a modification of the Join Our Mailing List script.

Thanks!

Brian

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Re: Getting Started - Join Our Mailing List modification

Hi Brian,

The Join My Mailing List form in your account would not quite be able to be modified to look exactly like this, as it is a two step process to choose which list the subscriber is going to be inserted in to, as well as any other fields that you are looking to collect. Another option would be to use our CCSFG (Constant Contact Signup Form Generator) which will allow you to build an HTML form that will submit contacts into your account. This form allows you to select which lists you want, as well as collect any other information all in one step. You can find more information about the CCSFG here.

Another option would be to build your own form using whatever programming language you prefer. This would involve Creating a Contact by performing an http post with a request body of XML that contains the contact details you are trying to create. You can take a look at our sample forms created in C#, PHP, and ColdFusion which may help get you started. I hope this information helps. If you have any further questions or concerns please let us know. Thank you.

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Would it be easier if we

Would it be easier if we eliminated the drop-down boxes and only asked for their name and e-mail.

Or would we still run into the same problem, even by eliminating the checkboxes?

Thanks!

Brian

Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Re: Would it be easier if we

The Join My Mailing List form is always going to have a two step process to collect any extra data other than the username, unfortunately this is the only way that particular form can be implemented. I would recommend taking a look at the form in your account under the "Contacts" tab, followed by the "Join My Mailing List" link to see what these forms would look like.

If you wanted to collect more information on the main page, the only options I can recommend are creating your own form, or using the Constant Contact Signup Form Generator (CCSFG) that I linked above. The CCSFG is fairly easy to setup and has some nice customizable options, and is certainly worth looking at for what you are trying to do.

Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you. Thank you.

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Thanks for your help. I

Thanks for your help. I uploaded CCSFG to GoDaddy and am getting this when I try to access the setup folder in my browser.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/content/a/b/o/abovept/html/CCSFG_0.0.4/setup/header.php on line 1

Should I post this issue in another forum?

PHP 5.x is running on the Linux server.

Thanks again for all your help,

Brian

Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Re: Thanks for your help. I

I just downloaded and ran the CCSFG on my development server as well as my own web server (using PHP5 / Linux) and did not run into this issue. This error message is usually related to a syntax error, but the fact that error is on line 1 seems unlikely, as line 1 of header.php is just '<?php'

Often times when this error is on line 1, this can mean that there is a Byte-Order-Mark at the beginning of the file. I have checked the version of CCSFG that we are currently and do not see a Byte order mark at the beginning of any file, including the header.php. Did you make any modifications or saves to any of the files in CCSFG before uploading?

I am going to try to find someone who had GoDaddy hosting to do some testing with their servers to see if I run into this same issue. Could you by chance provide the URL where you are running into that error so I can use a validator to look for a byte order mark to determine if this is on the right path? Thanks!

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Hi David, Thanks for your

Hi David,

Thanks for your help, we didn't make any modifications to the file(s). Just uploaded as is, via FileZilla, in automatic transfer mode (automatically detects ascii or binary). I beleive we have their Linux platform, and not the .NET hosting.

Again, I appreciate your help.

Brian

Highlighted
CTCT Employee

binary vs automatic transfer mode

Hello Brian,

We have seen this issue before when uploading the files using Filezilla and using the Automatic transfer mode. If you switch the mode to binary it should fix the problem you are having.

If after uploading it using binary, it still is giving you any issue, please let us know. Also if you have any further questions feel free to ask us.

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

That worked, thanks for

That worked, thanks for everything!!!

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Last Question

One last question. Thanks again.

We have a sign-up now working here: http://www.abovept.com/pilates/ and http://www.abovept.com/gyrotonic/

We want existing clients to have the option to re-subscribe if they are already in the system, "you are recieving this bc you are a previous member and you would like to resubscribe." instead of this page:

http://www.abovept.com/CCSFG_0.0.4/signup/mailer-error.html

Is that possible? Thanks,

Brian

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact Would Like To Hear From You!

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured