Regular Visitor
CullenS

Google Docs Scripts to Constant Contact API

Hopefully this isn't an inappropriate place to ask this question..

Our business is a bike shop. When someone buys a bike they fill out a little form on a computer in the shop with their contact info, and the form is served by a Google Docs spreadsheet. So we have a constantly-growing Google spreadsheet with new customer information.

I'd like a good way to get these into Constant Contact on a regular basis without using the regular import features. I'd like them to be added to a specific lists (bike purchasers) and have that trigger an autoresponders sequence for a couple of follow-up emails.

Google Docs has a scripting feature (documented here: http://code.google.com/googleapps/appsscript/ ). It seems like I should be able to use this to work with the CC API and add the contacts on a regular basis.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I feel like someone must have done almost this exact thing already and I don't want to stumble around and try to re-invent the wheel. I am only somewhat comfortable with the API documentation itself.

DaveBerard
Topics: 7
Kudos: 61
Solutions: 59

Re: Google Docs Scripts to Constant Contact API

It does look like it would be possible using the Google app scripting language to send the content from your spreadsheet to Constant Contact via our WebServices API.  While I'm not familiar with the platform, I did find a tutorial for a Twitter plugin that actually is not far off from what you were mentioning.  It would leverage similar technology (OAuth, Server API Calls, triggers).  You can find that documentation here: http://code.google.com/googleapps/appsscript/articles/twitter_tutorial.html

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Occasional Visitor
MarkH28

Did you figure out how to accomplish this? I'm in a similar boat, where contacts should be added from spreadsheets to constant contact.

Regular Visitor
CullenS

Nope. I put it on the back burner for now. I believe it is possible for someone with experience working with APIs.