Greeting_Salutations & Greeting_Name not in body of email

SOLVED
Highlighted
Advisor

Greeting_Salutations & Greeting_Name not in body of email

Ok. I've finally got everything working with the exception of the greeting_salutations and the greeting_name.

Both are set as reflected in the feedback (see below), but they do not appear in the email when generated.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

Create Campaign Function Executedschedule->schedule_date = 2014-05-18T21:52:45-04:00
Campaign Created!

Ctct\Components\EmailMarketing\Campaign Object
(
    [id] => 1117398565963
    [name] => 90 Day Sent 2014-05-18T21:52:45-04:00
    [subject] => Your Daily Bible Reading Reminder
    [status] => DRAFT
    [from_name] => Pastor Walt Mayhew
    [from_email] => wmayhew@walnuthillcc.org
    [reply_to_email] => wmayhew@walnuthillcc.org
    [template_type] => CUSTOM
    [created_date] => 
    [modified_date] => 
    [last_run_date] => 
    [next_run_date] => 
    [is_permission_reminder_enabled] => 
    [permission_reminder_text] => 
    [is_view_as_webpage_enabled] => 
    [view_as_web_page_text] => 
    [view_as_web_page_link_text] => 
    [greeting_salutations] => Good Morning
    [greeting_name] => FIRST_NAME
    [greeting_string] => 
    [message_footer] => Ctct\Components\EmailMarketing\MessageFooter Object
        (
            [city] => Bethel
            [state] => CT
            [country] => US
            [organization_name] => Walnut Hill Community Church
            [address_line_1] => 156 Walnut Hill Road
            [address_line_2] => 
            [address_line_3] => 
            [international_state] => 
            [postal_code] => 06801
            [include_forward_email] => 
            [forward_email_link_text] => 
            [include_subscribe_link] => 
            [subscribe_link_text] => 
        )

[tracking_summary] => Ctct\Components\Tracking\TrackingSummary Object
        (
            [sends] => 0
            [opens] => 0
            [clicks] => 0
            [forwards] => 0
            [unsubscribes] => 0
            [bounces] => 0
            [spam_count] => 0
        )

[email_content] => 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Greeting_Salutations & Greeting_Name not in body of email

Based on what is in the output, you would need to change the actual HTML code that is being input into the email_content field when the campaign is created. When you include a <Greeting/> tag in the HTML code where you would want the greeting to appear, then our system will merge that information into the message when it is sent or tested.

Unfortunately I cannot see the actual HTML code being used, as it was converted into a visual format when saved as a PDF and viewed.

If you would be able to provide a snippet of your HTML code that shows the section of the email where you would like the greeting inserted, I can provide an example of how it would work.

Best Regards,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi Adam,

the greeting name and greeting salutation fields are built so that they can be used with the <Greeting/> tag that we provide for use in our HTML and XHTML emails. However, if you are not using this tag, then there will be no greeting inserted into emails that are created using the API.

Additionally, the name and salutation fields will only be used if the contact to whom the email is sent has a listed name. If there is no name listed, then it will use Greeting String instead. The easiest way to test this is to use the test send functionality that we provide through both the UI and the API. When performing a test send, the name attached to your Constant Contact account will be used where a contact's name would be.

If you do still have a problem with this after checking those two things, let me know and we can dig into this further!

Best Regards,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Highlighted
Advisor

I am using the PHP wrapper and code modified from the examples provided. The output that is generated doesn't display a <Greeting/> tag as an option, nor is it listed in the API docs that I could find.

So I am at a loss as to how to poulate it.

I can only find three tags with greeing in them greeting_salutations greeting_nameand greeting_string. The first two are populated the third is not.

I've attached the output that is generated from the code for your review.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Based on what is in the output, you would need to change the actual HTML code that is being input into the email_content field when the campaign is created. When you include a <Greeting/> tag in the HTML code where you would want the greeting to appear, then our system will merge that information into the message when it is sent or tested.

Unfortunately I cannot see the actual HTML code being used, as it was converted into a visual format when saved as a PDF and viewed.

If you would be able to provide a snippet of your HTML code that shows the section of the email where you would like the greeting inserted, I can provide an example of how it would work.

Best Regards,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

View solution in original post

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Constant Contact would like to hear from you

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured