I got past this problem by downloading the apache commons logging jars into the tomcat bin directory.
I hit some other issues after that but I'll save those for another reply.
Is the URI in the Constants.java file correct: "http://api.f1.constantcontact.com" ? I always get a ConnectException for a connection timed out.
It does return something if I change the URI to: "https://api.constantcontact.com".
By the way in the finally blocks in ListServlet.java and ListViewServlert.java you need to check if resp is null before calling release(). Otherwise the null pointer exception hides the real problem.
That URI is not correct. I will look at the Java example and see why that URI is still in there and have this example updated soon. Your second URI< https://api.constantcontact.com, is the correct URI.
Thanks for reporting this!
Thanks. I would also suggest you fix the other two minor glitches. Add a note to the README.txt that says the commons logging jars (or jar) are required to be in the tomcat\lib directory. Adding the check for the null resp reference in the finally blocks before calling release() is an easy, low risk change as well.
It's very frustrating when samples don't work as expected. It took me longer to get this going than it should.
Thanks for the feedback. I've brought it back to the developer of the Java application and we will hopefully have this updated shortly. We do apologize for the frustration, we agree that the sample code we provide should be simple and work correctly without heavy modification.