Response Time, Auto Responder Scheduling, Custom Fields

Regular Participant

Response Time, Auto Responder Scheduling, Custom Fields

To Whom It May Concern,

Had a few questions:

1)  I'm using just one of the PHP sample form files, cc_class.php and it's certainly helpful.  Everything else I'm building is pretty much custom.   When a method is executed that communicates with the CC server, the response is pretty slow.   The list it queries/adds to has aroudn 18,000 subscribers, so I'm not sure if that's part of the issue.    Yes, I am integrating it somewhat with a database query on our server, but even before I added that, the response time was fairly slow, especially for adding a subscriber.     Anything I could do to possibly speed things up?

2) Scheduling an Autoresponder for one day from now means that subscribers will receive e-mails when the autoresponder activates one day from now and then the e-mails will be instantaneous upon signup, correct?

3) Does the CustomText1 subscriber field correspond to the first value in the 'custom_fields' element, i.e. CustomField0 ?

Thanks for your help. 

Patrick

Patrick J. Flynn

3 REPLIES 3
Employee

Hello Patrick,

Whenever you do a call to our API's, it should not take more than a few seconds to make a response to you. Even with lots of contacts in your account, most calls that return contacts to you, split up the calls for 50 contacts, so the call would still be just a second or so.

When you are scheduling an autoresponder, the contacts that are already on the list will not receive the email at all if you activate it. The only way to get contacts already added to your autoresponder list to get a new autoresponder email, would be to remove them completely from the account then readd them to the list.

A one day autoresponder means all new contacts that sign up for the account and are put on the autoresponder list will get an email within one day of being added to the account.

The CustomText1 subscriber field should line up with custom_field_1 in cc_class, if that is what you mean. If that is not what you mean I may not understand the last question.

If you have any other questions please let me know, and I should be able to help you out.

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Regular Participant

Ben,

Thanks for your help on these questions.  I had a few follow-up ones as well:

1)  The call to the API in this case would be an addSubscriber one, only response I receive is whether or not it the add was successful or not.   Do these calls tend to take longer for some reason?

2) So having the auto responder set to 1 day means that the contact will receive an e-mail within that time frame.   Will it ever be less than a day or even instantly?

3)  Using the following as an array for custom fields:

$xml_data = array();

$xml_data = 'test';

generates  CustomField0 or something close to that name in the generated XML file.    Will the Constant Contact system know what to do with that index (0), or should I put that data in  $xml_data  ?   

Thanks again, I do appreciate your help. 

Patrick 

Patrick J. Flynn

Employee

Hello,

The addSubscriber function in cc_class only does a POST to the Contact Collection URI, and should not take long at all. I just tested it now on my end and it was almost instant.

Having an Autoresponder set it will usually send out sometime during the next day that the person signs up to the list. It is usually about 24 hours after the customer has signed up, but I have seen it take a little longer.

I apologize I do understand what you mean now. would be Custom Field 1.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page