Storing the password and or API key to a database

Storing the password and or API key to a database

I'm integrating Constant Contact API in Zen Cart and I have to store authentication data to a zen cart database so the administrators could change the info through the admin page. How do you guys recommend storing them into the database? What encyption to use?

Arben

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

There are two options for

There are two options for authentication, both require you to store data locally that you must be able to pull out as plain text (I.E., you can not use a base encoding that is not decodable):

OAuth Authentication - You would need to store the Username and the Access Token.  Any type of secure database that is encrypted will be more than secure enough for this information as it is actually useless without your private consumer key token to combine with (which should also be securely stored seperately).

Basic Authentication - You would need to store the Username and Password.  You will want to make sure this is stored in a very secure database as this allows access to the account fully from any source, including our web based UI.  Again though, any secure database generally has enough security, provide you keep up to date with your patches, to ensure that all reasonable security expectations are met.  You again must use a security system that can be decoded, you could not store this information as Base64 encoded for example, as you must be able to create the requests using this information as plain text.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact Would Like To Hear From You!

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured