cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third Party Connection Question

Occasional Visitor

Third Party Connection Question

Well I am a newbie in the truest sense of the word, I have been tasked with writing a simple feature to add an email address on behalf of a constant contact client to their list via our shopping cart. So once a customer of theirs checks out in our software, I want to send a post to your system adding the email address for them, and eliminating the need for frequent bulk email imports by our merchant. In the few hours I have perused your site and forums I have yet to answer a couple questions that I hope you can help me with. I found this: http://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Documentation/Contacts-Collection-and-Resource/ba-p/25989 which seems to be a very simple way to add a contact. So I think I got that covered, however after I tested and was denied access, I started to read more on authentication. It seems that everything I read is looking for the user's password. It seems to me an API key and our clients username should be enough to add email contacts. Is this not possible? If this is not possible, I see several problems with it, one is why should a client of yours have to give his password up to a third party like us? Coming from a background in the credit card processing industry, passwords are never to be shared, so this baffles me. I understand you are trying to protect your client's lists, however a permission setting inside their console allowing certain api keys access would seem to suffice. The second issue would be anytime they change their password in your system they would have to come to us to change it as well to keep this feature working. Please advise if there is a way around this and if I am looking in the right spot for this simple API I would need. Thank You, Jim goEmerchant.com
1 REPLY 1
Occasional Visitor

Re: Third Party Connection Question

Ok I found your OAuth information, seems like this is exactly what I need. I'll post back with any trouble, but I think this will answer my questions. Thanks.