Using API's vs getting web account with constant contact

SOLVED
Go to solution
Regular Participant

Using API's vs getting web account with constant contact

Hi,

I would like to document the feasibility of developing code using the Constant Contact API's for my organization againist getting an account and using web interface to manage / create and send email functinality.

I would like to know the benefits using API's ..Can some one give pros and cons using API's vs using web interface.

Thanks,

Ramagopal Devapatla. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ram,

All of the IDs for emails/contacts/etc. are automatically generated and stored in Constant Contact. If you want to make a copy of those and store them in your database you can, but you cannot generate the IDs on your end.

Our API does not have a UI; it is all URL based endpoints. The API is available for developers to create a way to add data to Constant Contact and get data out of Constant Contact without having to use the website interface. That data can then be put in to your own UI and database that you have created yourself, or a program that you use created by someone else such as Salesforce.

Regards,
Jimmy D.
Tier II API Support Engineer

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to Constant Contact's API Support.

Regardless of which approach you take you will need a Constant Contact. If you decide to go with the API route you will also need a Mashery account.

A list of pro's and con's would be relative to your company and not something I would be able to tell you; however the general difference is having to log in to the website versus having to create your own program from scratch. Another thing to keep in mind is if you use the API to create an email it has to be coded in HTML; where as if you log in to the website you can use our editor which does not require HTML knowledge so anyone would be able to create and send the emails.

You can see all of our available endpoints here (https://developer.constantcontact.com/docs/developer-guides/overview-of-api-endpoints.html) and look through example code libraries as well.

Regards,
Jimmy D.

Jimmy,

Thankyou so much for the quick reply.

Can you plese clarify me the following as well : Using API's

1: Can I add an email id to multiple distribution lists created for our application with Contsnat Contact ? Where is the emaild or disribution lists and templates of our organization stored ? In constant contact Database and local database ?

2: Is there any License fee to use the API's in Prod environment ? similar to monthly subscription to web interface ?

3: I can use these API's in my Java/J2ee based web projects ?

Thanks,

Ram.

Hello Ram,

The answer to question 1 and 2 is pretty much the same. You need to have a Constant Contact account to access the API. There is no additional cost for using our API. You can start with the trial account; however to continue you will need to eventually convert to a paid subscription.

Your emails, contacts, lists and their associated IDs are generated and stored in our database. Using the API you can do a GET to retrieve that information and also store it in your database if you want.

Your third question is a yes for Java, and should also be a yes for J2ee as it is basically just a different company's version of Java. As long as you can do various REST methods from J2ee you can use it. GET/PUT/POST/DELETE/etc.

Regards,
Jimmy D.

Jimmy,

Using the constant contact api's even though we develop the client interfaces using the API, it still using this as software as service from contastant contact model, its not some thing the API's (Constant Contact Java SDK) can be installed in our local server and use right ?

Hello Ram,

Constant Contact is SAAS (Service as a Software) and you can install our Java SDK and use that to access our services via the API.

Regards,
Jimmy D.

Jimmy,

So if i use the JDK and yous API's to create / send email,  will the email id's stored at our database right ? It also required to store the crated email id's, lists, and compaign info at Constant Contact Database also ?

Basically my company is not looking for could based solution..where the data stored at partners database ? Can you please explian how the Constnat Contact API's works ? And Basic Architecural difference in cloud based solution and using API's , apart from using API i need to develope user interface and colud based UI provided by the CTCT, other than this any architecural difference ? In terms of storing emails..ect

Hi Ram,

All of the IDs for emails/contacts/etc. are automatically generated and stored in Constant Contact. If you want to make a copy of those and store them in your database you can, but you cannot generate the IDs on your end.

Our API does not have a UI; it is all URL based endpoints. The API is available for developers to create a way to add data to Constant Contact and get data out of Constant Contact without having to use the website interface. That data can then be put in to your own UI and database that you have created yourself, or a program that you use created by someone else such as Salesforce.

Regards,
Jimmy D.

View solution in original post

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page