Where to start... special project

Highlighted

Where to start... special project

Hi,

Here is what I would like to do... and before I embark on this project, I would like to know if it is doable by someone with fairly average PHP skills...

The goal is to create a mass email for all customers who have a product that is expiring in the current month.  Thus, a user would visit a web page and run a queury (select all clients with a valid email address that have products expiring in the specified month).

The user would review the list and click a button that sends Send Email

That email would create a new campaign from an exisitng Template.  The Subject and one line in the body would make reference to specified range.  This would be a single phrase (e.g, "August, 2014" or "Between Aug 1, 2014 and Dec 31, 2014"

The body is generic Dear Customer....

However there is a special link for each customer (url field)... I send just the hash...."a1b40b9955badd5399069e7d165b8b1d" so that the URL is

"www.websitename.com?u=a1b40b9955badd5399069e7d165b8b1d"

I need to send about 500-600 of these a month.

1- Can this be done with PHP and JSON (the answer seems to be yes, but I don't see any specific examples of this.  I also saw that there may be an issue with the URL field)

2- Where do I go to get started... an example script or scripts in PHP.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Where to start... special project

Hello,

Based on what you have described, this can definitely be done! However, there are two specific things that you would need to accommodate for:

1. In order to include the unique hash in an email to a customer, you would need to store that hash as a custom field attached to the customer in your Constant Contact database. You could then merge that field directly into your link URL.

2. In this case, the email content would be managed and modified through the Constant Contact API. Because of this, the email must be created using HTML or XHTML (Allows for some advanced email features) and then attached to a contact list and sent. This would require your pre-built template to be created in HTML rather than using our WYSIWYG email editor.

As far as where to get started, you will need to begin by creating a developer account and registering an API key (both are free!). The next step after that would be to download our PHP SDK and look through the documentation and some of the examples that are provided to get up to speed.

You can find a guide that will get you through the first step and direct you to our code libraries (including the PHP SDK) here: http://developer.constantcontact.com/get-started.html

If you do have any additional questions, please feel free to reply in this thread and we will be happy to assist you!

Best Regards,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Occasional Participant

Re: Where to start... special project

Hi Sharon,

My suggestion is to start in (.Net) MVC for web based project or else WPF for desktop application.

I successfully implemented integration of the API in one of my WPF project as well as for asp.net and it is working fine with all exiting features.

Thank you

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact Would Like To Hear From You!

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured