While trying to update a contact list getting error 409 (conflict) - Can anybody help?

Regular Participant

While trying to update a contact list getting error 409 (conflict) - Can anybody help?

Hi I'm trying to update a contact list using Contact List Collection API.
While trying to update a contact list I'm getting an error 409 (conflict) returned from the server. Can anybody help me out resolving this issue and let me know why I'm getting this error?

Regards

Akhilesh
4 REPLIES 4
Frequent Participant

Several possible reasons.

You could be trying to "POST" (Create) a list that already exists. If you are modifying the list you should "PUT" (Modify) it back.

You could be trying to make a change so that the list would be invalid. I.e. perhaps renaming the list to be the same as another list in the system.

Are you sure you are not conflicting w/an existing list?

As a test, try to GET a specific list, and then PUT the XML back w/out modification. Does this work?
Now try changing just one small thing and see what you get.
Tom M
Group Product Manager – Content Editing
Constant Contact
Regular Participant

Hi Tom, I checked both the things you have mentioned and I'm using "PUT" only and also there is no conflict in the name of the list. New name does not already exist.
Only thing which I'm sending same could be a sort order. Can sort order or date etc. can create this issue?

Regards

Akhilesh
Regular Participant

I was having a similar problem until I added the list uri to the <id> tag in the atom. This sample works for me...

<id>http://api.constantcontact.com/ws/customers/YOURSITENAME/lists/11</id>

rather than the example of: <id>data:,</id> from the Create New example.

Hope this helps!
Regular Participant

Hi, Thanks for the reply. It seems it worked for me too. Finally getting statuscode = 204.

Regards

Akhilesh
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page