The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October 16th, 2020 at 11:59 PM EST.

Who Generates Access Token?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Who Generates Access Token?

Hello everyone,

I plan to develop an API between my company's database and Constant Contact. My company already has an account set up with Constant Contact, but the existing account holder is in another department in another country. 

I will be making API calls through my account, though it seems that I need to generate an access token. Does the existing account holder in my company need to generate this access token for me so that I may make calls between the databases? Any advice helps. Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Who Generates Access Token?

Hello,

It sounds like you've got it mostly figured out. The one thing worth mentioning is that there are two methods of generating access tokens:

1. For a single account integration (Will only be used by a single Constant Contact User), you can use the I/O Docs page to generate a single token for use.

2. For an integration that expects more than a single user, you will want to implement the OAuth 2 authentication flow that will allow users to grant access to your application, and give you the ability to retrieve an access token to connect with their account. You can read more about the authentication flow here: http://developer.constantcontact.com/docs/developer-guides/authentication.html

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

The access token can be generated by anyone with a valid Username/Password to the account and a valid API key through our interactive documentation here: https://constantcontact.mashery.com/io-docs.  If your integration is only going to be accessing a single account, this is the best option for you since you won't have to implement OAuth 2.0 access flows.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Thank you, Dave! 

So the developer (me, in this case) generates the API key and pairs it with the access token generated by the Constant Contact user?

That is my understanding of the process before making the API calls.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hello,

It sounds like you've got it mostly figured out. The one thing worth mentioning is that there are two methods of generating access tokens:

1. For a single account integration (Will only be used by a single Constant Contact User), you can use the I/O Docs page to generate a single token for use.

2. For an integration that expects more than a single user, you will want to implement the OAuth 2 authentication flow that will allow users to grant access to your application, and give you the ability to retrieve an access token to connect with their account. You can read more about the authentication flow here: http://developer.constantcontact.com/docs/developer-guides/authentication.html

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Thank you, Elijah. You have been a great help.

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured