cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

uploading (importing) new contact list .net working example

Visitor

uploading (importing) new contact list .net working example

Hi 

I have downloaded the CTCT wrapper, complied it and started testing with it.

I did some very simple test like getting a list.

I am looking for a sample code C# or VB.net to upload contacts (for now just email address and names) into a new list

I would also like if possible to get sample code to update an existing list.

Thanks

Myalo

1 REPLY 1
Honored Contributor

Re: uploading (importing) new contact list .net working example

Hello,

If you are looking to add/update individual contacts, then you could implement your code in a manner as shown here:

// In order to bulk import contacts, we will need a List of AddContactsImportData objects, a single AddContact object, and a Constant Contact object.
            // We also need two List<String> instances for our contact lists and import columns.
            IList<CTCT.Components.Activities.AddContactsImportData> contactsToAdd = new List<CTCT.Components.Activities.AddContactsImportData>();
            IList<String> lists = new List<String>(), columns = new List<String>();
            CTCT.Components.Activities.AddContacts importActvity;

// To create an instance of the ConstantContact class, you will need an API key and Access Token. 
            // You can find information about how to obtain these in our Get Started guide here:
            // http://developer.constantcontact.com/get-started.html
            CTCT.ConstantContact _cc = new CTCT.ConstantContact("API_KEY", "ACCESS_TOKEN");
            CTCT.Components.Contacts.Contact contact;
            string emailAddress = "test@test.com";
            CTCT.Components.ResultSet<CTCT.Components.Contacts.Contact> results;
            CTCT.Components.Contacts.ContactList list;
            bool exists = false;

// Search for a contact by email address
            results = _cc.GetContacts(emailAddress, null, null, null);

// Check of the contact already exists. If it does then we will update the existing contact. If not we will create a new contact.
            if (results.Results.Count > 0)
            {
                contact = results.Results[0];
                exists = true;
            }
            else
            {
                contact = new CTCT.Components.Contacts.Contact();
                exists = false;
            }
            // Create a list object that can be attached to the contact and then add any details you want to the contact.
            list = new CTCT.Components.Contacts.ContactList();
            list.Id = "LIST_ID";
            contact.FirstName = "Test";
            contact.LastName = "Person";
            contact.Lists.Add(list);

// When we are adding or updating the contact, the second parameter indicates if that action is initiated by the contact being updated.
            // If this parameter is set to true, then the contact will receive an email verification of the changes being made.
            // This logic will update an existing contact or create a new contact.
            if (exists)
            {
                _cc.UpdateContact(contact, false);
            }
            else
            {
                _cc.AddContact(contact, false);
            }

If you are looking to add/update multiple contacts at the same time, then you will want to use our Bulk Activity tools to complete this process in a batch and automatically add and updates. Here an an example of how to create a bulk activity for uploading contacts:

// In order to bulk import contacts, we will need a List of AddContactsImportData objects, a single AddContact object, and a Constant Contact object.
            // We also need two List<String> instances for our contact lists and import columns.
            IList<CTCT.Components.Activities.AddContactsImportData> contactsToAdd = new List<CTCT.Components.Activities.AddContactsImportData>();
            IList<String> lists = new List<String>(), columns = new List<String>();
            CTCT.Components.Activities.AddContacts importActvity;

// To create an instance of the ConstantContact class, you will need an API key and Access Token. 
            // You can find information about how to obtain these in our Get Started guide here:
            // http://developer.constantcontact.com/get-started.html
            CTCT.ConstantContact _cc = new CTCT.ConstantContact("API_KEY", "ACCESS_TOKEN");

// This is a very simple loop that demonstrates how to add 100 identical contacts through a bulk activity
            // By using a loop to iterate through your own data, this could easily be used to create a list of unique contacts.
            for (var i = 1; i < 100; i++)
            {

// First we create an instance of the AddContactsImportData class
                var currentContact = new CTCT.Components.Activities.AddContactsImportData();

// Then we add and Email address, First Name, and Last Name
                currentContact.EmailAddresses.Add("email@example.com");
                currentContact.FirstName = "Example";
                currentContact.LastName = "Contact";

// Then we add it to the List we created and continue the loop.
                contactsToAdd.Add(currentContact);
            }

// Once the list of contacts is created, we can then create the activity.
            // We will start by assigning the contact list. If you do not know your List ID, it can be found by using the I/O Docs:
            // https://constantcontact.mashery.com/io-docs
            lists.Add("LIST_ID");

// Next we will specify the columns that we want to import. A list of column names can be found here: 
            // http://developer.constantcontact.com/docs/bulk_activities_api/bulks-activities-import-contacts-api.html
            columns.Add("EMAIL");
            columns.Add("FIRST NAME");
            columns.Add("LAST NAME");

// Next, we will create a new AddContacts instance using the information generated above.
            importActvity = new CTCT.Components.Activities.AddContacts(contactsToAdd, lists, columns);

try {
                // And lastly, we will send the bulk activity to Constant Contact.
                _cc.CreateAddContactsActivity(importActvity);
            } catch (CTCT.Exceptions.CtctException ex) {
                // If there is an error, print the exception message to the console.
                System.Console.WriteLine(ex.Message);
            }

// This will start the activity processing on Constant Contact. Most Bulk uploads will take between 3 and 10 minutes to complete. 
            // Very large uploads can sometimes take longer.

If you have any difficulty with these examples, please let me know!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer