Looking for the latest product updates? What's new for Spring 2024 is now available!

Attaching lists before scheduling

On the old platform, I used to be able to attach the lists while still in draft mode. Now even when I attach and save the lists are no longer attached when I go back to work on the email campaign. I often have to  pull/create lists from outside of CC that I load up just for a specific campaign and I don't want to forget I have created the list so it would be helpful if I could attach the list before I am ready to schedule. This was an option on the old platform and I would love to see it brought back or at least an explanation on why it was taken away.

20 Comments
BrianJ557
Marketing Legend

I actually misspoke. The "Schedule for Later" is the default when you go into Send mode. It automatically sets a Send Later time for 60 minutes later. 

Because there is no Data Reporting area in Constant Contact (which would be very helpful if we want to generate reports) we need to go into the Send area to set up the filters to see the counts. If you are on the Send page setting up filters AND save without changing the default from "Schedule for Later", your campaign will be automatically queued up for Send, even though you only wanted to check the filters. This happened to us once.

All I am suggesting is a third option that says: "Not Ready to Send" and that should be the default. But the better option would be a reporting area (with multi-level filtering functions) so we can generate counts for different filtering options, and even generate a .csv report if desired. And do so without going into the send area. 

I like the tagging capabilities of CC. But I often need to apply "And/Or" or "And-Not" logic but those muti-level filtering and reporting capabilities are absent from CC.

If I need to run an "And-Not" filter, (ABC tag but Not XYZ tag), I need to download the two tags, do some spreadsheet work, and then upload the new data setting up a new tag. A lot of extra work which could be avoided if there were multi-level filtering. 

Final comment: Speaking of reports. I need to show our leadership "email effectiveness" reports for our campaigns. It's just a linear report with the rows being the different campaigns, and the columns being the email metrics (Sent, Opened, Bounces, Clicks, etc.) But unless I am missing something in CC, I have to tediously construct this report by going into the reporting of each individual campaign and copying pasting (and transposing) into a spreadsheet.

I think every customer of yours would jump for joy with these types of filtering and reporting capabilities.

Frankie_P

Hi @rcppubs23

The good news is if you select a list on the schedule page of your campaign and then save in the top right hand corner, you can exit your campaign with your list selecting being saved.

Frankie_P

Hi  @BrianJ557

Thanks for responding with these details. Have you tried creating your contact list through segments with the tag filters you're working with? This segment feature does allow the multi-level filtering you're looking for. You can then create a list based off this segment, see the total count, and schedule your campaign to this list instead. 

As for your reporting, what data reporting are you looking for? Does the information available on sent campaigns in the Reporting tab of your account help fit your needs? Campaign reportings are available to be exported into a spreadsheet. You can also compare multiple campaigns at once and export this as well.

rcppubs23
Marketing Legend

Frankie_P

The problem with your "workaround" - the thing I am trying to avoid - is that when you save after you select a list, you have to actually schedule the email, even though you may not know when it will be ready to go out. Especially if you are experimenting with your layout, you may have several emails in progress, only one of which will ultimately be used. So you don't want to run the risk of having one accidentally go out because you werne't paying super close attention to the campaigns that are really only temporary and will probably not be sent (or most of which will not be sent).

BrianJ557
Marketing Legend

"So you don't want to run the risk of having one accidentally go out because you werne't paying super close attention to the campaigns that are really only temporary and will probably not be sent (or most of which will not be sent)."

Exactly (this happened to us).

Frankie_P

Hi @rcppubs23

Users actually have the ability to select "Save" on the scheduling page without having to schedule their campaign. Does this separate save option appear for you? Clicking save and not schedule will allow you to exit the campaign while it is in draft with your selected contact lists still be saved.

Frankie_P
Status changed to: Gathering Information

BoardofTrade
Campaign Expert

As the original poster, I can confirm I am now able to attach lists as I am working on the email, hit save, come back to the email at a later date and the lists are still attached and ready for scheduling when the campaign is ready. Thanks

Frankie_P

Hi @BoardofTrade

Thanks for confirming this feature does work for you! Because of this we are going to close this idea. This doesn't mean that we aren't listening to your feedback! Please feel free to comment or vote on any of the other open ideas to let us know what you would like to see.

Frankie_P
Status changed to: Closed - No Action

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More