Looking for the latest product updates? What's new for Spring 2024 is now available!

Cannot use "Greeting" tag with "View as Webpage"

For our daily newsletter, we have used both the "Greeting tag" and "View as Webpage" with no problem. When the recipient clicked on "View as Webpage", the greeting tag would say "Greetings!". Please check the "View as webpage" from the August 18, 2022 campaign - https://myemail.constantcontact.com/What-s-Happening-at-Quail-Creek---Thursday--August-18--2022.html.... On August 19, the View as webpage now displays "Good morning Daryl" instead for ALL recipients - https://myemail.constantcontact.com/What-s-Happening-at-Quail-Creek---Friday--August-19--2022.html?s.... The View as webpage should display the Default Greeting NOT the Personal Greeting of the editor of the newsletter. This was brought to my attention by recipients of the newsletter wondering what is going on. I spent a useless hour on the phone with Customer Service who did NOT understand my question so for now I've had to delete the "Greeting tag" insertion since we have recipients who require "View as webpage" to see the images. Can you please fix this?

8 Comments
Frankie_P

Hi @DarylL97

Thanks for sharing this feedback with us! We have received reports of some users seeing the account owner's name appears in the web version of the email, instead of the greeting tag's fallback. This is a defect and is visible when viewing the campaign's Share link or when clicking a View as Webpage link in an email. Because this is not being experienced by all users it is being troubleshooted on a case by case basis. This does cause us to not have a time estimate of when this defect will resolved. We do however want indicate some awareness that we have heard your feedback and are continuing to collect reports. If we hear anything in the future regarding this feature request, we will update the thread.  

Frankie_P
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Ecook
Rookie

I contacted ConstantContact about this weeks ago. I did my own bug testing and troubleshooting that seems to point to the issue being linked with the id names that are used for the default fields. What we did as a fix was duplicate the "First Name" column on our contact list (so it appears twice) and re-import the list and map the duplicated column to a "new" custom field named "First--Name". Then when you edit your email, select insert "Contact Details" instead of the Greetings tag, and select your Custom tag instead of the default tag.  This way the emails are still personalized, and the view in web browser still works.

DarylL97
Campaign Collaborator

Thank you Ecook! Brilliant solution, love the work-around! For the moment I have deleted the greeting tag since the View as Webpage is required by some of our readers to view images.  Hoping Constant Contact can fix this at some point but will look into using your work-around.

ICSuccess
Rookie

I too am experiencing this problem. When subscribers click the View as Webpage link in an email, it greets them by my name, the account owner. Yes, I was using a greeting tag.

StevenM0
Rookie

Good Afternoon,

I am trying to improve engagement and utilize multiple platforms. I am noticing I am unable to share the link generated by constant contact because on my emails I use the personal greeting tag (with their first name). I could use the link that constant contact generates, but it includes the account owner, not the secondary greeting tag. For example, the greeting is "hello, *first name*" the secondary greeting (that is used when there isn't a name on file) is "hello, member" but the greeting tag on the link says "hello, Steven"

why wouldn't that link use the secondary greeting tag instead of trying to use the name?

Here is an example: 

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/579-Member--We-Need-Your-Help-to-Keep-Air-Travel-Safe-.html?soid...

MonicaG26
Rookie

When I post an email to social media through Constant Contact, the {first name} insert (of the account owner - me) appears in the social media post. Is there a way to avoid this? I have provided an alternate greeting if first name is not available.

RickW0
Rookie

The exact error that is described in this thread is now happening with our account. Constant Contact can you please fix this? 

To recap:

We are unable to share the link generated by Constant Contact because on our emails we use the personal greeting tag (with the first name) along with the secondary greeting tag (with 'Hello Friend!' or 'Greetings!'). When we use the link that Constant Contact generates, it erroneously includes the account owner's first name ('Rick'), not the secondary greeting tag. For example, the greeting is "Hi *first name*" and the secondary greeting (that is used when there isn't a name on file) is "Hello Friend!" but the greeting tag on the link says "Hi Rick!" instead of "Hello Friend!". The shareable link should use the secondary greeting tag instead of trying to use the account owner's name. Can you please fix this!

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.20.18 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 4.21.47 PM.png

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More