Looking for the latest product updates? What's new for Spring 2024 is now available!

Captions for photos

I REALLY need to be able to add a caption under photos in our newsletters. The option of adding text on top of a photo is not a good option at all. The caption should be immediately beneath the photo in a stand alone text box. Also, it would be extremely helpful to be able to position a photo within an article anywhere within the photo -- not at the very top.

Top Answer
Kyle_R
Administrator

We are updating the status of all ideas to hopefully provide better insight into where the issue is in the product pipeline. The status of this idea is being updated to Under Consideration meaning the request is known and there is a ticket in our product/engineering backlog for this item. Thank you for all the feedback so far.

73 Comments
Frankie_P

Hi @mkautzman

We apologize for any inconvenience caused from captions not being available. There are many factors that are used to decide what is added to or updated in our product which can cause us to sometimes not have a timeline for when a feature will be available. While we may not have a time estimate for this feature request, the more request a thread like these receive the higher of a priority it can be given by our Product Team. In the meantime, the workaround we are recommending is to include your caption through a separate text block.

RobertE473
Campaign Expert

If you insert the three image option it comes with a caption for each image. If you look at this carefully you find that the caption option is merely a text option. But this only works if you use all three images.

I have no problem using a text panel under any photo I post.  The only time I find I can't add a caption is if I imbed an image in a block of text already created with the image going at the top left or right of the text. So my solution for that is to insert a block with an image on the right or left as desired. Then a text block below the image for the caption. It takes a little getting used to but I've not worried about a caption option for a long time. And we do a lot of images.

rcppubs23
Marketing Legend

The problem with the "workaround" proposed by @Frankie_P is that there is like a quarter-inch or so space (depending on your browser settings) between the bottom of the photo and the text block where you are putting the caption. It's very hard to make clear that it actually goes with the photo! If this workaround is the "solution," at least we need to be able to specify the padding between photo and text (caption).

As @mkautzman points out, it is a very long time since 2016 when the thread started. While I do understand there can be many reasons why this may not have been prioritized, it certainly seems that by now we should at least be able to get an answer of whether this is something CC plans to actually consider.

And as @RobertE473 points out, it is not possible to do this AT ALL, when you insert the photo into a text block so the text can run around the photo. So in this case, space or no space, adding a caption is just not possible. Perhaps the philosophy is that a photo that's imbedded in text should be self-explanatory, but who is deciding that? Not those of us who are writing newsletters rather than marketing pitches.

RoseAnneJ
Rookie

I used to be able to add captions to images in Constant Contact...years ago.   Why isn't this available now?   No way to identify people and award winners without captions.

DavidB163
Rookie

I work for a large organisation and we use your product to create all of our internal and external newsletters.  It seems that the lack of captioning has been an issue for a long time, but the bottom line is that it is an accessibility issue and should be available to users so all of their recipients can enjoy the newsletters.

ElaineM5
Rookie

OK - adding my vote.

Please, please, please.

Kyle_R
Administrator
Status changed to: Under Consideration

We are updating the status of all ideas to hopefully provide better insight into where the issue is in the product pipeline. The status of this idea is being updated to Under Consideration meaning the request is known and there is a ticket in our product/engineering backlog for this item. Thank you for all the feedback so far.

If *attaching a caption to an image* presents an accessibility issue--then why not create a new type of text box, that just has different space parameters? The leading between the lines should be tighter, and the space between the text and the frame should be much smaller. That would be all you had to do to make a caption box that can be added in layout. That shouldn't cause problems for screen readers. 

The current option of a mile of white space between images and the *normal* text box caption substitute looks ridiculous. 

SueW188
Rookie

I'm tired of waiting YEARS to get this issue fixed. I think it's time to say goodbye to CC and hello to Mailchimp.

RobertE473
Campaign Expert

While I was frustrated with no captions, I finally figured out:

1. If the text I was writing was about the picture or photo then no caption was needed.

2. A simple text block under the graphic worked just fine.

It would be nice to have a caption available for images, but not essential to me.

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More