Looking for the latest product updates? What's new for Spring 2024 is now available!

Prevent automatic image sizing on mobile view

Please undo the automatic resizing/expanding of images in the mobile version. It was working fine before. We prefer to have control over whether the image stretches to the width of the page or not. Some images look terrible expanded, taking up 2/3 of the screen and rendering the text less significant.

Top Answer
Caitlin_M
Administrator

We're updating the status of this idea to more accurately reflect its current status with our engineering team and also made slight changes to the subject line in order for it to be more easily found. We do not have any updates to share surrounding any changes to how images display on mobile devices but you can resize your larger images to appear smaller:

To resize an image:

• Open the image editor
  • Select the Transform tool on the upper left
  • Check the checkbox marked Lock Resolution, on the lower left
  • Set the width to a smaller number, such as 200
  • Hit the Tab key on the keyboard. The Height number will change in response, to resize the image while keeping the original dimensions

There is also a Knowledge Base article that includes a visual walkthrough on resizing images for mobile devices.

22 Comments
TommyT80
Rookie

Then they are still too small. I want my logo for instance to be the width of the email. The pdf I imported last week was according to your size recommendations and looked like nothing more than a thumbnail when I sent a test email to outlook. This isn't a solution. I want the images and pdfs to appear on the email side the same as they do on the editor side. 

Please consider fixing this. I can show you an example of how the same pdf looks when I sent it through constant contact as compared with MailChimp, which still slightly resized but not nearly to the extent that your software did.

FBTSD
Rookie

Hey all - it doesn't make any sense, but I was playing around just now and left-justifying the image seemed to do the trick (it still looks centered in desktop, and sized to fit better in mobile).

LindaK570
Rookie

LindaK570
Rookie

I called Customer Service to get help with sizing photos and logos in the MOBILE VIEW of the new Newsletter editor. Photos and logos are HUGE in that view and the newsletter looks terrible !!! I was told I'd have to TAKE A SCREEN SHOT in the EDITOR, then CROP THE PHOTO to the size I want, and then UPLOAD IT AGAIN and place it back in the newsletter.   Needless to say, this is ridiculous.  Photos and logos should appear in the mobile view just as they do in the desktop view.  Also, if this is a problem you knew about, YOU SHOULD HAVE NOTIFIED US IN ADVANCE.  How many of your customers don't check the mobile view before sending out their newsletter????  This is OUR REPUTATION at stake, and if you can't get this new editor to work properly, then at least give us the option of using the old one until you do!!!  

ErikaB7
Marketing Legend

The imagine resizing on mobile option is one of several extremely frustrating things about Constant Contact. The complaints and promises to implement editing on mobile go back YEARS. And yet there is nothing. I have to design my entire eblast on InDesign as a "hack" but that is ridiculous. Other small businesses shouldn't need a degree in graphic design to use this service. 

I am in a rush so I just used a CC template for a quick eblast only to be reminded of why I never do this. Examples below.

Other services like WIX let people edit mobile view? Why can't CC get it together? It makes our company look unprofessional and like we don't know what we are doing. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 10.08.30 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-22 at 10.15.10 AM.png

rcppubs23
Marketing Legend

For the people who are saying that resizing the images smaller solves the mobile problem, I have to ask what effect that has on the desktop version. Depending on how the desktop version is designed it seems like the smaller version might look crappy of the desktop calls for, say, a 300-350 or more width image. It seems like perhaps being able to specify a maximum width for mobile would be better than what we have now, though if applied in all cases it might still be somewhat problematic.

JamesFoCo
Campaign Collaborator

Having automatically dynamic content is a great plus. However, it would be nice to have max-width Setting for Images. Otherwise, some images that are meant to be small get way too large and clutter your messaging. See the Example below.

On a computer, this looks fine. We want our agency logo to be present but small--to be recognized but not to dominate the messaging:

JamesFoCo_1-1634148923596.png

But on a phone (iPhone 11 - Mail app), our agency logo becomes huge and distracts from the messaging of the email:

JamesFoCo_2-1634149075320.jpeg

Adding a max-width setting to the agency logo would keep it small on mobile apps and help focus our messaging for our campaigns.

It's ridiculous that a solution such as a max-width setting isn't available at this point. Without it, elements like buttons, logos, icons dominate the email. We've used CC for years, but I'm ready to move us to a different platform. 

JamesC955
Rookie

What am I doing wrong that when I have a header image for a desktop email - it appears correct on my preview but when I send a test email the image ends up appearing centered and small and the body copy is wider lenghth than the header and footer. So it appears I have images the wrong size small, floating, centered at the top and bottom of my email? Is there a way to lock the maximum width of the email to match my image widths? I've searched and can't find anything. Thank you.

Frankie_P

Hi @JamesC955 

We apologize for any confusion there may be with the images in your email campaign. At this time images resized to be smaller in desktop will show as full width on the mobile version.

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More