Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bounce Emails

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Bounce Emails

Can someone explain what a "bounce" email is and how I can reduce the number of these when I send out an email campaign.  Is there a description of the type of bounce emails there are?   Thanks

3 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Bounce Emails

Hi,

When an email bounces, that means that the intended recipient did not receive the email. Bounces can happen for many reasons. They are categorized by those reasons when you view your bounces.

Here are the different type of bounces you may find:

• Non-Existent - Non-existent addresses don't exist or were cancelled. The address may have a typo or the person with that address might have left the company.
  • Undeliverable - Undeliverable bounces happen when the receiving server was temporarily unavailable, overloaded, or could not be found.  
  • Mailbox Full! - Mailbox Full means that the recipient's mailbox was full. You won't be able to deliver the email until the contact makes space in their inbox. In some cases, the email address may be abandoned.
  • Vacation/Auto Reply - If your contact is away on a trip or unable to check email, they may show up in the Vacation or Auto Reply bounce category. Unlike with other kinds of bounces, your email was delivered successfully into these contacts' inboxes.
  • Blocked - Blocked email means that the receiving server blocked our inbound email.
  • Other - In the case of Other, we don't know why the email bounced. The bounce report we received didn't provide a reason. 

Here are some tips to help improve your deliverability:

• Monitor campaign reports routinely
  • Remove non-existent and persistently undeliverable bounce addresses
  • Monitor your communication's Reply Email Address inbox and honor unsubscribe requests that you may receive there.  Some of your recipients may unsubscribe "manually" by replying to your email rather than by using "SafeUnsubscribe"
  • Use an instantly recognizable From Email Address and From Name, accompanied by a clear and relevant Subject Line.  Two of the most common reasons for recipient spam complaints are failure to recognize the email's sender and failure of the email content to match the expectations the subscribers had for the subject matter and frequency when they opted in to the list
  • Stay current with email communication best practices.  Doing so helps ensure your email is recognizable, pleasing, and unlikely to trigger an ISP's spam filters
  • Use the spam checker tool provided when creating emails. This can also assist in preventing your email from going into a bulk or spam folder. Read the Understanding Your Spam Risk for more information.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

Thanks,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Occasional Visitor

On a related topic. Why would an email bounce as undeliverable if the email is correct in every way?

Steve D

Honored Contributor

Hi,

An email bounces as undeliverable because at the time of the send, the recipients server was busy or overloaded. Resending the email at another time may resolve this.

Thanks,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!