cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding duplicates between two lists

SOLVED
Highlighted

Finding duplicates between two lists

Is there a way to merge two lists, idenfity the duplicates between the two of them, and make those duplicates a seperate list?

I have two email products and I want to be able to send content to those who are subscribed to both lists 

Thanks!

7 REPLIES
Occasional Visitor

Re: Finding duplicates between two lists

I'm interested in this as well, but I'm not sure there's a way to do it in Constant Contact. I use a formula in excel to find duplicates and then upload the lists back in. =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!A:B,1,false)

Regular Visitor

I believe Constant Contact manages this issue for you. If a recipient resides in multiple list and you send an email to those multiple list, that person should only receive one email. You can easily test this by creating two test list and putting your email address in both list, then send an email to both list. If you only get one email, it works, otherwise if you get two - it doesn't. I hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

Hi,

We do automatically check for duplicates when you send an email to more than one list. If a contact is on both lists, they will receive only one email.

If you are looking to identify the duplicates in both lists, you could export your active contacts and select "Show List" as a field to export. This will list all of your active contacts and display each list they are currently in.

I hope this helps,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Occasional Visitor

Jarrad,

How about if I'm adding in new contacts and I want to see if I already have them? 

Jenwhite@whitehousemedia.org

Honored Contributor

Hello Jen, 

If you want to see if someone is already in your contact list you can search for the email address before you add it to see if it is in any of your lists.  If you want to see if the email address might have been previously removed or has unsubscribed, make sure to select all under Search Contacts.  See the Screenshot below for help.  (This is available on the Contacts tab.)

search contacts.jpg

If you are adding the email address through the Paste or Type in fields, and you go through the steps to add the contact.  After you submit the lists you want the contact(s) added to  at the top of the page, we will show you the number added and the number updated, see this screenshot: 

Updates.png

Hope this helps! 

Occasional Visitor

Thanks, that's great. 

Honored Contributor

This post thread is archived, content is saved for education. Links will not be updated. If you need additional information please create a new post. 

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!