cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I begin an email with "Dear..." so that each person's first name appears in the salutation?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

How do I begin an email with "Dear..." so that each person's first name appears in the salutation?

I know there's a way to do this without typing each person's name and then sending the mail out...

3 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: How do I begin an email with "Dear..." so that each person's first name appears in the

Hello @KenyonL8 , 2014-08-12_0911.png

There is a way to set up your campaign to send out with Dear (or any greeting word) and then the name of your recipient.  To add this into your campaign you will want to edit a block and place your cursor on the line where you want the greeting to go.  On the left side of the screen in the Insert menu click to add Greeting.  

In the window you can add a Primary and a Secondary Greeting.  The Primary Greeting is what will display when the contacts first name is in your Constant Contact account.  You can edit the word(s) before the name, and choose to enter first and/or last name, then add punctuation to the end of the greeting.  The Secondary Greeting is what will display if there is no first name field for your contact, you can edit this from the default Greetings! to something else if you would like.  

2014-08-12_0912.png

Re: How do I begin an email with "Dear..." so that each person's first name appears in the

Hi Samantha

Does that stage have to be done with every single campaign or can it be set up as a default, please? 

Many thanks!

Hi @TraceyR56

Great question, if you copy the campaign the greeting will also copy over but if you start with a brand new template you would need to re-add this. Please note, some templates have a greeting by default (that you can remove if you want) so you wouldn't need to add it here. 

At this time the setting can't be saved in your account but this is a good idea for the future!

Thanks again, 

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!