cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Due to an issue with YouTube, inserting videos in your emails is showing an error. Until they are able to resolve this issue, we recommend using a different video hosting service. We will continue to monitor this outage and update you as we have more information.

Adding quotation marks to my data so my email addresses are not in the correct format.

0 Votes

Adding quotation marks to my data so my email addresses are not in the correct format.

I am adding contacts from a CSV and XLS file formats and keep getting this issue. What happens is Constant Contact is adding quotation marks to all of my data in the file. As a result, my contact's email addresses are in the wrong format. I checked the different files multiple times on my end and have not seen the quotation marks. But when I upload into Constant Contact, they are added and I cannot continue to upload them. I have managed to find a work around but it makes no sense why it works. I open in google sheets, then download as a CSV from there, and like magic its working. Same file, same data, different result.
2 Comments
All Star

Is it happening with both file formats, or only one or the other?

XLS can save a leading single quotation mark--to denote a text-formatted field--that doesn't show up in the spreadsheet grid when you're looking at it.  But when you click into a cell to make it active, if there's a single quote there before the text, you can see it in the Formula Bar.  Do you see any?

Saving XLS to CSV should remove the quotation marks, which is what I assume google sheets is doing.  You should be able to run the same operation yourself: try opening your file in Excel, resaving as CSV, and uploading again.

Michael

Status changed to: Closed - No Action