cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Advanced Search

Advanced Search

It would be nice if the compare functions in the advanced search also contained a "contains" function so elements could be picked out of a single field. Also, the implied "OR" function with multiple qualifiers might be nice to also have an "AND" function
91 Comments
Visitor

I'm disappointed that you removed the feature that allowed me to pull up emails by using the option "emails that contain "name@business.com". This feature allowed me to see who I had in my contacts from certain companies and now I have to go thru each name individually. It really causes me headache when I am asked who from a company receives my emails because it takes awhile to sort thru that.

I am now unable to search my contacts with contains. i.e. Want to know all my contacts that contain "@companyname.com".

This was very useful feature and i hope you somehow bring this feature back.

Occasional Visitor
you can no longer search a contact with a portion of an email address... the old search allowed you too? why would delete this feature?
Occasional Advisor
I want to search within email addresses. I can't narrow the search from the Search Box to just emails (if I look for 'state' I get state in everything, not just email... too many results). When I click advanced search to search just in the email field, I can choose 'starting with', 'ending with', etc from the dropdown, BUT NOT 'INCLUDING'?? So I can't search for 'state' within just email addresses at all. So so dumb.
All Star
We used to be able to search by part of a name or email and now I can't seem to figure out how to do that or even just pop to all the listings under one letter. Hope this function comes back.
Occasional Visitor
in searching contacts, need "including" as a search option, like you had before. unless I missed it, this is a very important function that is currently not included under Advance Search
Occasional Visitor
With this new contact update I can not search for containing. Why would you delete this? I search dates with containing information and cannot do this now. Is there a fix for this?
Visitor
Don't like the new changes. Doesnt allow you to do a search for a contact by just typing in partial name or email. Please allow us to do that, like we could previously. Also, please include a feature that lets you search for a contact by jumping to an alphabet letter, rather than scrolling page by page to find them!! As for Event Spot, we are not crazy about a few details, but we can talk with you one on one about that. Thank you.
When searching for an email we should have the ability to look for characters in the middle of a string. I guess this would be called "contains". This could be another way to search for emails in addition to "starts with" and "ends with". Thank you,
Frequent Visitor
I used "contains" frequently to search contacts using the email field for a list not fully populated with first, last, etc. Why remove this useful functionality with an "improvement?" I used it to get a snapshot of opens for a user without having to input their complete email address. It was also useful to search on a partial domain, such as state abbreviation, to see users within a state but that had different domains.
The "contains" option has been removed. That was extremely useful in finding information that may have been input or imported incorrectly.
Occasional Contributor
There's "is", "starts with", "is not" and "is blank". However, there's no "contains" so I have to make a bunch of silly "contains_x" custom fields that are one-offs. Not scalable. (It's also missing "is greater than", "is greater than or equal to", "is less than", and "is less than or equal to")
The new advanced search fields are very limited. It was very useful to have the "contains" field when searching as you may not always know if it a) begins with a certain word b) is only a certain word or c) is not a certain word. The "contains" field was the best tool, in my opinion, as it allows for the word to appear somewhere in the field.
Visitor
Under "Street Address" there is no "contains" search option. Customer trying to search a street name fails because what "comes first" is the house number.
advanced search should have "contains" along with "is" "is blank" how do you search only year?
All Star
There used to be a feature that allowed us to search the contacts by the email addresses "includes" feature. This is the most useful tool on your website and you have gotten rid of it. When searching the thousands of email addresses that we have uploaded on your site, we rarely know the way that the email address begins, we usually know what it includes. If this feature is not brought back, I am going to have to cancel my three constant contact accounts. Thank you
Please bring back the "including" option in the search facility when managing contacts. It was incredibly useful when search for contact at a large company where you could put in the first part of the email suffix and find all the contacts for that company. It was even more useful if the company name e.g. Price Waterhouse Coopers had been entered in several different variations.
Occasional Visitor
Why was this eliminated? I use that function often in building lists that look for a specific word or text series, such as: "Festival" in the Company Name. I can only find the organizations that include Festival at the beginning of their name, but not if it's later in the name. This seems like a basic search tool, and have no idea why you would eliminate it.
The contacts search function is so much less robust without the "includes" option. Many times email addresses change but enough of the email is the same to find a desired contact in the Search function. Please add back the "includes" option in the contacts search function!!!!!!!!
Solution Provider
You used to have the ability to search on something that 'contains' certain letters. Now you only have 'is' 'is not' etc. The contains was VERY useful. Can you put that back in? Thanks Dahlia@dahliawebdesigns.com
Frequent Visitor
It appears that the new contact search dropdown menu no longer has a "contains" option, such as "email address contains XXXXX" which was a very helpful search option in previous interface, especially for big lists with people from many divisions within the same company. Can we get that option back?
Occasional Contributor

I am also disappointed with my experience with the new search. I cannot search for "containing" and nothing I have tried has worked. For example, in my list I have a number of different company names that share a common acronymn in brackets at the end "(AOHC)." When I search for (AOHC) it returns nothing. When I search for AOHC, it returns only company names that start with AOHC. When I try using brackets or wildcards, CC hangs or the browser crashes. The Advanced search does not offer a "containing" option and when I try to search for "Company Name" "is" and add one or other or both of "(AOHC)" or AOHC, it again only returns company names that are exactly "AOHC" - none that contain AOHC. This is the only way that I can find all of these companies. Everything that I am trying to do was previously possible. I have tried this in the latest versions of FireFox, IE and Chrome on a Win 7 system - all with the same result.

Will the search for "containing" be restored? If so when.

Advisor
The old Contact page had an option to search for emails "including" a particular string, but this doesn't seem to exist in the new design. If I have a contact called "Jane_Smith@yahoo.co.uk" then searching for "Jane" will bring her up, but searching for "Smith" will *NOT*. Searching for "yahoo" will bring her up, but searching for ".co.uk" will not. So search is only looking at the beginning of the address, or the beginning of the domain. There is an "advanced search" option, but you can only choose to search by "starts with" or "ends with" not "contains". Is there something I'm missing here?
Occasional Organizer
Why have you changed your contact management?? When I needed to find out if an email address was in my contacts I could search any part of it by choosing "contains" in my query. Now this option doesn't exist and I can't find contacts which I am sure are in my database. Very irritating.
Frequent Visitor
please add: contains to the advanced search field choices.
CTCT Employee
Status changed to: New

CTCT Employee

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback about the Advanced Search.  I have let our engineers know that this is something you really need and would like to see in a future update.  Please continue to vote for other ideas you think will be helpful. If you have immediate questions about the new features you now have access to you can reach support via chat or by dialing 1-800-240-2302

I use the search ... but before I could search for key words within an email address ... now I need the exact email address. This proves very difficult in managing my emails.
Advisor

Yes.  There used to be an option to search for whether an email address "includes" a string.  This is no longer an option, not even in advanced search.

Bring back search email address containing word(s)!!!
Visitor
I can longer do searches using part of the email address.
It would be helpful to have a contact search field that is "contains", as some of the things we are searching for are in an field but not at the beginning or at the end.
Occasional Contributor
The advanced search should give you more options, ie, search in actives or unsubscribed. The advanced is far from advanced.

Thanks for sharing this feedback! You can control which list you are searching in using the "List" selection option from the drop down menu but otherwise the search will search All contacts. 

Regular Visitor
the microscopic label "Advanced" does take you to a customizable search routine but you have no approximate choices e.g. if I think the email ending incudes "sbc" I cannot search by just that. I have to know the entire "sbcglobal.net" to get any results. please dont take me literally this lack of approximation applies to all the other categories of advanced search
Occasional Contributor
I used to be able to search in a custom field for a word that was contained in the field, not necessarily the only word, nor the first word. Now I can't. Why is that? For instance, I want to find a contact whose Note field includes the word Addis Ababa, or Emirates, but I'm sure these would not be the first word, nor the only word, because we start most of our notes with the year of the contact. I don't know the year. How can I search for these words in this field now?
CTCT Employee

Thank you for supplying your feedback to us. It is very important, and we highly value your opinion. We are currently in process of collecting feedback and making adjustments to this feature. Stay tuned for some great changes to come. In the mean time, please continue to vote for the changes that you want to see made inside of your account. And as always, don't hesitate to let us know any time you have questions, more information, or any feedback to give us! Don't forget, you can call our support team seven days a week at 866-289-2101.

CTCT Employee

All Star
If searching a Custom Field, would be helpful if one of the options is "Contains"
Occasional Contributor
We have a field for #of subscriptions (tickets). It would be nice to be able to add a range; e.g., 1-8. Laboriously, I added tags to these people, but tags alone cannot be used because we need to know a number; therefore, duplication of effort is required when entering info on a member's account.
CTCT Employee

Thank you for providing us with this feedback! If others agree I would encourage you to vote for this idea.

If you have additional feedback or any questions, please feel free to reach back out to us. You can also reach us at 800-240-2302.

Have a great day!

CTCT Employee

We used to be able to click on the job in the activity tab to see what the criteria was that was pulled to be exported, now I can't see anything? I have no idea which export is which? Also, can you change it back to where we could search using "includes"? This was very helpful.

All Star
This feature would be helpful when searching in "additional" fields
Occasional Visitor
Please ad the "contains" statement to easily manage email lists by data that is in custom fields. Thank you.

Thanks for this feedback! Have you tried using the same search criteria for more than one field? 

the advance search needs to have the "contains" capability
I need to search by "is not blank" so that I can see all of the contacts that have some data within a field.