cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Advanced Search

Advanced Search

It would be nice if the compare functions in the advanced search also contained a "contains" function so elements could be picked out of a single field. Also, the implied "OR" function with multiple qualifiers might be nice to also have an "AND" function
91 Comments
Occasional Visitor
Advanced Search is not very functional. At a minimum you need to add "contains" as an operator. Would be good to be able to select "and" and "or" when adding multiple search strings. Exporting thousands of contacts to Excel to analyze and then re-importing so that you can put onto a contact list is kludgy and time-consuming.
Status changed to: New

Thanks for sharing this feedback!

Great idea, thanks for posting!

Frequent Visitor

Agreed... I am troubleshooting some issues with our sign-up form and it would really help me to have this filter for certain contacts filling out an optional field. 

Occasional Contributor
Advanced search let's us use "starts with" or "is" or "is not" but should include an option that says "Email address INCLUDES" bla bla bla. We don't always have the exact email address because we can't read folks' handwriting, so when it bounces back, I need to be able to find it using "includes" hope that makes sense
Visitor
In Contact Management, I would like the Advanced Search to have an option to search within a field. Currently the drop-down list only has "is", "starts with", "is not", and "is blank". I think a new option "contains" should be the default in the Advanced search. Some background: When adding a married couple as a contact, we have been putting both names in the First Name field, like "Jason & Jennifer". I would like to be able to search for Jennifer's name. Currently I do not see a way to do that. If the above changes are made, I could select "First Name" "contains" "Jennifer" and it would find all my contacts that have "Jennifer" anywhere in the First Name field.

We use fields in a non-traditional manner and the removal of the includes search has made it difficult to locate contacts for editing.
You removed the choice for Email Address "INCLUDES" and it is Imperative that it be added back in to the dropdown menu options in the advanced search field, as it is completely useless now with the current drop down options. Email Address IS or IS NOT are ridiculous and unhelpful options. If I knew what the email address IS then I would not have to do an advanced search (r any search for that matter). Email Address INCLUDES was the most helpful field on here but you removed it when you made some "improvements." Please add it back in, thank you.
Status changed to: Voting Open

Thanks for posting this feedback!

I have to click each individual name to see the custom field. For example, I chose "vehicle" from excel sheet to show up. Separating different types of bmws. When I load it to constant contact it allows me to advance search for various types in the "vehicle" field but doesn't have the option of "contains" to search through. Then even if I put each and every year of the vehicle model I want plus the model it pulls a list up and does not show me the model on the display screen. I must click each name to see it.

All Star
The contact advanced search is rather limited, as it only allows you to search text strings that are either = to the value presented, or begin with the value presented. It's impossible to do searches for people who have invalid characters in their contact so we can clean them up easily.
All Star
I would LOVE to be able to search my notes for key words... the search right now isn't working... for example, if I have the word "farmhouse" in the note... even if I go to search, note, there is that "is" or "begins with" function, but I need for their to be a "contains". I'm in real estate. Let's say I get a new farmhouse listing.... I'd LOVE to be able to search for all the contacts whose notes include "farmhouse" and send to just them. I know, I know... there are tags... but... the improved search function would be super helpful! Thanks, Kelly

The "contains" functionality would be great for any kind of search.

Elaboration on my earlier comment "The "contains" functionality would be great for any kind of search."  What I mean by this is when using any of the search boxes, whether it is searching contacts, searching lists, searching tags, etc., it should search for the text in any part of the information.  Example: if I’m in the “Search Contacts…” box and type STAR, the results should be STAR@yyy.com, yyy@STARyyy.org, yyy@yySTAR.net, etc.  The “Search by campaign name” search box under “Reporting” currently functions this way.

Thank you for considering this suggestion.

When will you finally add "contains" to the list of search options? That is a standard option for anywhere else. Very frustrating to have to download to Excel to find the information!!!!!!!!!
Established Member

This is a fairly common filtering issue that even basic programs can perform. I am not sure why CC doesn't include both. iContact does this perfeclty.

Basically, you want to search a field or tag that includes a specific text you choose. For example, if I have a marketing piece for anyone with "Jack" in their name, I want to bring results such as Jack, Jackson, Jackle, Jackh, Jackobson, so on and so forth.

Now for multiple filters ro fields, there needs to be an "OR" field. Using a similar example as above, I wan to filter for all first names that have "Jack" OR "John" (ex Jack Wellings, Jack Adams, John Adams, John Hancock), but CC does an AND filter by default. Basically if I add this sort of filter, CC wants to find all contacts that have both "Jack" AND "John" as the first name, which needless to say is highly unlikely.

Status changed to: Closed - No Action

Occasional Visitor
If I'm trying to search through my contacts, there are limited options for searching. Just "Starts with", "ends with", "is", or "is not". Can you add a "contains" option?

Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Occasional Visitor

Would anyone find the advanced search to be greatly enhanced with the addition of a Contains option, and the addition of a wildcard? Practically any database can be searched this way, it seems odd that Contacts can't be. It would come in especially handy for people in my situation where contacts were imported from another application and the data wasn't as "clean" as it could've been. Any thoughts?

This is great feedback!  Opening your idea up for voting.

All Star

This idea has been suggested since back in late 2013, when apparently the feature was removed. I've since seen at least a dozen different threads around the same suggestion... not sure who at CC is on top of merging threads, but if 100 people are up-voting 40 different suggestions, it will seem that an idea is not getting enough votes and will close. Hopefully someone there will tune into the fact that this is a feature many people which would come back, or adequately explain why it hasn't yet been.

All Star

It would be helpful to be able to find contact fields that are "not blank," since it's possible that we don't know what is in that field.  Also, a "Contains" filter would be helpful.

Status changed to: Open Questions

Thank you for the feedback @YvetteK3,

I'd like to understand your request for a 'is not blank' search function.  Would you be able to elaborate on that a little further?  Thanks!

All Star

Hi Patrick,

For example, blank.png

Administrator

Administrator
Status changed to: Certified Great Idea

Occasional Organizer

in a Management of Contact Section. want some additional options to manage a company name with

the bulk edit and in an advanced search option it does not support contains options.

if contains functionality is available then that will be more convenient for sorting and segmenting. 

CTCT Employee

All Star

There is an option in advanced search for field 2 to be "is blank".  But no way that I can figure to do the opposite and search for "is not blank".  If I put in field 2 "is not" and leave field 3 empty/blank, it returns all records.  Yes, I can export all records and then inspect the data, but a search would be more useful.

Occasional Organizer

Agreed!

Occasional Visitor

Please add a "is not blank" option.

I want to use "is not blank" to identify all the contacts that invoke a particular custom field.  

Frequent Visitor
  • Search by "Contains" -  - spammers are getting sophisticated and using varying starting and ending and sometimes Chinese characters letters. A "contains"  search would help for bulk selection and deletion.
  • Ability to delete ALL embedded JMML signup forms in the "landing page" forms section of "signup forms." We don't have control over the 'primary' one. Spammers can continue to subscribe under that URL, even if we ourselves are no longer using it on our website.