cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Due to an issue with YouTube, inserting videos in your emails is showing an error. Until they are able to resolve this issue, we recommend using a different video hosting service. We will continue to monitor this outage and update you as we have more information.

Automated split A/B testing

Automated split A/B testing

I am ready to switch over from paying $90 a month for CC to  or another provider that does automated split testing. Please move this up to the top of your priorities.

54 Comments

A/B testing in Constant Contact is a PAIN!

Please automate the process, where it automatically splits the list and sends to the remaining list the "winning" email.

This will help your customers out tremendously, save time, and make us all better communicators. 

Thanks for shaing this idea!

Frequent Visitor

A/B Testing is a "must-have" for CC. I would like to continue using CC for our email needs, but doing A/B Testing manually is unecessary and time consuming. I would expect that this is already being addressed, but a timeline for availability would be helpful. Thank you!

Established Member

Anything new on A/B testing?

:smileysad:

Hi RomuG,

Take a look at this thread on AB testing. One of our product managers commented on the plans for implementing this. He would love to hear any additional ideas you have on the topic!

Status changed to: New

A great feature that would be of great service to even the lowliest of users would be a way to split a list for A/B testing. Simply select a list and a button appears to Split the List. This function puts the first email on one list and the second on a second list, and so forth. It gives the person 2 lists. They can then send a different email to each list. With my list being in the 100,000+ range, it is way beyond the limit for uploading which makes it time consuming to use excel to split my list and import multiple spreadsheets.

Thanks for posting this feedback!

Occasional Contributor

It would be helpful to have an include/exclude list feature for each out going email. Meaning, you choose to include list A and B, but exclude list C for the outgoing email. So if a customer is in list A and C, they would be excluded from the email, however all other customers in list A and B only, would receive the email. This would enable us to micro-manage lists without having to import new lists for every email. 

Thank you for sharing this idea! Have you considered using Tags to sub-segment your list? This would allow you to "tag" the people with certain terms to filter your list down. Using tags you could send to list A  and only the people with tag A, etc. 

Check out this FAQ for more. 

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Hannah. An interesting idea but if I read the set up correctly, I can't imagine creating tags for contacts one by one for 20,000+ contacts. 

We would love to have some reporting and some features that allow A/B testing. We think that this is extremely important.

Thanks for sharing this feedback!

Visitor

Please add this feature. Particularly for blasts where multiple lists are used, the manual method is hopelessly tedious. 

Visitor

Please add this feature. Particularly for blasts where multiple lists are used, the manual method is hopelessly tedious. 

Regular Visitor

+1

Occasional Contributor

I find it ironic that your login screen say's "Welcome back! Let's get some marketing done." when your system doesn't have A/B Testing or segmentation logic which are the two largest cornerstones to email marketing. A/B Testing: I have a list of 12k people. When I was sold on your product by your sales staff I was told there is A/B Testing just like Mailchimp, Mad Mimi, Benchmark and the rest of your competitors. Come to find out you don't have A/B Testing and the best solution I could get out of your support staff was to split my list by exporting to excel. Really? Thats what you call a solution? Even your support forum, when people mention this your support list out all these steps and one of which is to copy half your list into a new list. But they never say how, because you can't within your system. Segmentation: I know what you're thinking, "we do have segmentation, create a list" sorry creating list is not segmentation. You're fooling yourselves and your customers, segmentation is taking narrowing your target audience within a list, not creating list on top of list. Segmentation logic needs to be applied at the scheduling screen because segmentation is unique to each campaign, so what you're really asking us is to create a new list for every campaign. I should be able to send a campaign to everyone on my list that hasn't clicked an email in 30 days, or everyone that has forwarded an email, or everyone in CA that has read an email before etc... There has to be logic behind the segmentation, and subscriber activity has to be applied within that logic.

RLR

+1

Hi! I just spoke to one of your lovely customer service reps and she said that you do not have any way of sorting contacts randomly so that tests can be conducted to see what email headlines and content perform better. This seems crazy to me!! :wink: In order to test various email content, I would like to be bale to pull 2 /3 RANDOM list of 200-300 people each, so that I can see which have the best response rates . I was told that because the emails are not listed numerically, there is no way to do this. We are a consumer business and do not captured things like company, etc - so sorting by that is not useful to us (and even if we did, it would not be random) What we need is some way to generate (quickly - so NOT manually checking on over 200 boxes) a list that can then be saved. (e.g TEST list A, Test list B, etc) and then we can see how emails perform.. This feature (or lack thereof) will become a bit of a deal breaker for us as I am not sure how we can test without it. Please let us know how we can do this - And please (pretty please!!!) add this option. Warmly, Erica
Could there be a way to more easily split lists into equal groupings? For example, I have a list of about 2,000 contacts who are interested in our seminar announcements. We are in the process of updating their profiles and surveying them as to the best time of day for them to receive email, however I would like to be able to experiment on my own to see what different open rates are on the same content during one day but different times of that day. Right now as it stands I have to export the list to excel, then split it up into three lists on my own. is it possible to create an option for this to happen in Constant Contact? the tools now just take too long to go through and check each individual name as all I want to do is split the one list into three equal amounts of about 800 names each.

Thanks for posting this feedback!

Please make it easy to split a list quickly, randomly and evenly for testing.
Regular Visitor

New Marketing Manager here. Time to move to another email platform as you are falling farther and father behind your competitors like for example. To not have a way to do A/B testing without having to manually split and create 2 new lists is so 2005. Regards, Randy Downs 

Occasional Visitor
There needs to be a means to make an A/B split capability using our database and two or more emails for testing. Suggestion: If I have 10,000 names in my database, I should be able to specify two (or more) emails, and have every other name sent using either Email A or Email B (or A, B, C, D, etc.). This would help facilitate testing email offer effectiveness.
Occasional Contributor

Quick summary why I'm leaving Constant Contact once our Pre Payment is spent:

• No A/B Split Testing
  • No Geolocating
  • No Segmentation - Segment by creating list for every email, very time consuming. Segmenting should be breaking down 1 list... No creating a ton of other list.
  • Can't upload more than one tag at one time
  • Need to go into each report to see unsubscribes comments and metrics, can't just view all or recent campaigns in a central place
  • Can't see unsubscribe comments on subscribers profile page
  • No way to compare campaign open rates on a single screen
  • Need to use Excel to basically do anything useful, quoted from customer service...
  • Can't easily resend a campaign base on subscriber engagement
  • No email client testing
  • Can't deliver by time zone
  • TOO MANY LIST!!!

Basically constant contact is built for mom and pop, they have not shown any desire to provide a service for professional e-mail marketers.

All Star

Fully supported and disappointing to see there hasn't been any progress made on this in over a year.

Occasional Visitor
Can you add an AB Subject line test? I had this feature with a different email program and it was very helpful.
Occasional Contributor

+1

There are entries from 2012 in this forum asking if this has finally been implemented. It's 2016 now and customer service just told me they don't even know if this is going to happen in the near future. I will look for a different provider that offers an A/B testing feature.

Occasional Contributor
I would like to see an updated feature on campaign reports as follows. Issue: If I send a single campaign to multiple lists, I have to way to determine which lists were most effective. Workaround: Create a copy of the campaign for each list I am testing. Drawback is that contacts may exist on both lists. This results in receiving the emails multiple times. Recommended solution: In the campaign report, where each list is presented, provide a table which includes the list name, sends, opens, clicks, forwards, bounces, opt-outs, spam reports, and did-not opens. It is understood that these numbers will not reconcile to 100%, as contacts may be present in multiple lists. This solution will provide important data about list effectiveness.
We would love to have the ability for integrated A/B testing. Thanks!

I'm amazed AB split testing still isn't available on CC!  and other key players have all been offering the functionality for years. Please catch up! It will make everyone's emails better, it's simply a no brainer. You'll lose customers otherwise. 

Another customer leaving because this hasn't been implemented. 

I can't believe it's 2016 and you still haven't implemented this feature. What are you doing?

Occasional Organizer

Any updates on the progress of implementing an automated process for A/B testing with contact lists? Its been 2-3 years since many of the comments I saw on this subject. Personally as our email marketing manager, I'm in a place where I need this functionality. My compnay has been with you since 2008 and we would like to stay but will not be able to in the next 6 months if this is not a feature. Please advise of any update. Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Yes, its called find another provider or divise a method yourself.

Solution Provider

As a marketer, I want to be able to split test different subject lines, images, and calls to action. I.e., what gets better open rates: "Save 20% off" or "Free Shipping" as an example. 

Unfortunately, there's no simple way to do this in CTCT. Competing platforms have had this feature for years, and I even rememeber receiving an email from CTCT on the benefits of A/B split testing.

This is the most basic, most important piece of information small business and marketers need. Please upvote this if you agree! 

Status changed to: Voting Open

There doesn't seem to be a way to automatically split a list in half to do A/B testing. This is a fairly labor intensive task if done manually, so it would be awesome if there were a way to do it automatically.

How is it possible that Constant Contact still does not have this capability? This thread was started in 2013. Three years ago. This is clearly a feature that customers have been asking for for quite some time and is a key feature in making sure that our email marketing is effective! Constant Contact, I really don't want to go to a different provider, but I must confess that I have started looking because it seems like often our feedback isn't heard and our needs are not met, even when we share them time and time again and because A/B testing is key.

Constant Contact, last chance. Please update the community on when you plan to implement this feature!

Honored Contributor

The other email company just announced an improvement to their already existing AB testing capabilities.  

Check it out. 

Regular Visitor
It would be really fantastic if there was an easy way to split a list for A/B testing. many other programs i have used can do this (like send to 1-7000, then 7001 to 1400). Please advise if this will become available. Thanks.
It would be great if the compare feature in the Reporting Tools showed SLs and audiences, or at least gave the option to show them for more easy direct comparison.
Will be really helpful if there is an easy way to do A/B Split Testing. Thanks
NPD
Frequent Visitor
Please add deeper stats for yearly or quarterly analytics. Also, provide A/B testing analytics and comparison tools. Thanks. Winny