Easier domain name change

0 Votes
When one of our member organizations changes its name and its e-mail domain (e.g., name@companya.com --> name@companyb.com) there should be an easy global search and replace mechanism. Right now the names need to be exported, changed and imported and the old names need to be deleted. That is too many steps.
7 Comments
Regular Participant
When a company changes its name and its e-mail setup (domain), the procedure for globally changing all contacts from that company is flawed. You export the contacts, say to Excel, and then do a global replacement. But when you attempt to import the updated contacts, you find that list information for those contacts won't import. So you have the choice of globally changing the domain and manually adding the list info for each contact, or manually changing the domain for each contact. Neither is good if the group is more than a few names,
Status changed to: New

Thanks for posting, @AlanD4. I can understand how this is frustrating if you are completing this action frequently! How many contacts are you needing to update in this situation?

Regular Participant

Hi, Hannah.

Could be a dozen or as many as 120 contacts.

Alan 

Thanks, Alan. There is not a way to easily make an update to this many contacts at once without going into each contact. Have you considered uploading the contacts to a new list, removing the entire list and contacts and then uploading the new (with new domain) contacts as brand new? The downside to this is that you would lose their history but it would allow you to keep updated contacts in the account at all times.

Thanks for helping with the detail.

Regular Participant

Hi, Hannah.

It’s not the loss of contact histories or even contacts that I am worried about. It’s this: It’s loss of Email list information because lots of my contacts are on multiple lists.

Let’s say I have 50 contacts of the form firstname.lastname@companyAA.com and each of those contacts is associated with two or three or five different lists (in my case that could be something like member, board of directors, key contact, subscriber, etc.) In order to change the domain to firstname.lastname@companyBB.com I would export the contacts to Excel, and do a global replacement of the old domain. That is straightforward. But when I try to re-import the list, the ConstantContact software does not recognize some of the very fields it just exported, including Email Lists and Tags.

So I end up with a choice: either update the domain for these 50 contacts one at a time, or do a global domain change, but then update the Email lists associated with each contact one at a time. Either one could be a lot of manual labor.

Nearly all of my contacts are associated with a small group of companies as their primary affiliation, so when a company changes its name a bunch of people, from a dozen to a hundred will be affected.

Regards,

Alan

Status changed to: Closed - No Action

What happens with product feedback?

Find out about the life-cycle of a product idea when it is posted on our Feedback board.

Read More