Exclusion Lists

Hey there! It would be great to have an efficient way to create exclusion lists. The tag system is a cumbersome process to go through when the goal is to simply send an email to List A, but exclude anyone who is also on List B. If a checkbox-to-exclude feature became a reality, you'd have a lot of happy customers! (I did search the "Constant Contact Community" when trying to find out how to exclude a list BTW.) 

I didn't necessarily want to post this particular message to the entire "community" but I couldn't find a way to just email my exclusion list request to your developers.

Thanks,

Kim

Top Answer
Frankie_P

Hi everyone, thank you for your patience as we looked into this! Though this type of function is currently not available, we have received reports that users can now use our contact segments as a workaround.  

contacts-tab-segments-tab-you-havent-createed-any-segments-create-segement-button-step123.png

Contacts in List A who are also on List B can can be segmented from the full list. So in this case, users will want to tag list B with the list name and exclude this tag when creating your segment.

89 Comments
Regular Participant

I have posted this before, but I REALLY wish there was a feature to select single contacts to send e-mails to. I don't like having to have everyone be a part of a "list".

Participant

Any update on this???? The ability to send one or just a "few" emails would be great.

Administrator

Hi @MarkT39383. We do not have an update on this as emails are scheduled to send to lists. Right now, the workaround is to add a single contact or a few to a list or to send to a group of tagged contacts. However, if the email has previously been sent, you can use our Quicksend feature.

Participant

Still no suppression functionality?  I'm a new user and I'm trying to figure out how to exclude ~100 people from our database.  Any suggestions on how best to accomplish this would be welcomed!   - Tim

Administrator

Hi all. While this type of function is not available as of yet, a workaround is to create a copy of your main list by selecting all the contacts on List A and moving them to a new, copied list using the steps outlined here. From there, you will go to List B and remove the contacts from the copied list using these steps.  

Occasional Participant

I'm sorry Caitlin_M, but this is a terrible workaround! I would have to manually remove 150-200 names from the copied list. Ugh!

Participant

Dear Constant Comment,

I'm a new user as of today. I would also like the option of sending one, personalized thank you email at a time.

Thanks!

Alison

Participant
Please modify your system to allow me to send one email template to one person at a time. I should be able to select an email template and select one person if I prefer. Thank you
Participant

option to send campaign to a single address without having to create a list

Participant

Has this been looked into at all?  This would make life much easier.

Occasional Participant

An exclusion list will simplify processes for me as well. I for one do not want to go through the process as specified in this workaround! it's not sustainable!

Participant

Please add the option of being able to send an email to one person without creating a list of one.  This is extremely frustrating and makes me want to switch away form CC. 

Participant

Agreed! Sending an email to one person would be very helpful! Sometimes you want to forward along a general update or newsletter to a specific individual with a note. Please update!

Participant

Please . . . and if not, please explain why Constant Contact won't do this.

Need to have this feature back
Occasional Participant

It is incredibly frustrating that this very basic function is still not available, even after nearly a decade of folks commenting on how vital it is to them. I will be looking into other platforms because this is a nearly impossible to manage process with the number of contacts we're working with. 

Retail

Due to the lack of this functionality, we're going to be leaving CC. It boggles my mind that there is no clean, easy, automated way to do this. Especially since the segmentation rules are crap and don't implement all the logic in them.

Good luck with your business but I'm never recommending CC to anyone, in fact, if I find out someone is on CC I'm going to actively campaign that they switch. Particularly since this has been a consistent request since 2011 and they have done nothing to address it. 

Participant

It would be a huge time-saver for me if there was an option for contact exceptions. When scheduling an email, it would be great to select “contact list 1” to send to with the exception of contacts on “contact list 2”. There are times when I must go through all contacts, which includes 2500+ contacts, and change the contact tag they are assigned to. For example: Sending an email out to all contacts with exception to those already assigned to another specific contact list. I have a master contact list and must remove from my master contact list those that are assigned to a smaller list. I hope this makes sense. **IF THERE ALREADY IS A FEATURE LIKE THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW!** Much appreciated.

Participant

I agree !!!  I need to be able to send 1 person an individual coupon code !!!  Which means i have to go in and make a list with just them on it , but not only that , i have to create a whole new campain which has there specific coupon code to use !!! Constant contact needs an option to be able to go into a campain and edit it and send to just one person without it being so tedious !

Thanks, 

Brandi 

I guess ill just have to use a regular email which defeats the purpose of why i even got contact contact 

Occasional Participant

Is this still not resolved?

I have a list of people that I invite to my events. For those who RSVP, I would like to exclude them from future marketing campaigns for that event, but not remove them from the list altogether. Am I really unable to do this? If so, this is terribly annoying! 

My company is spending $800 a month on Constant Contact and unfortunately, we are looking at other options. (Makes me sad - I like CC customer service!)

Occasional Participant
Hello, I've recently switched from hubspot to constant contact for my email marketing. Overall constant contact is a solid software but there's one glaring need that I am really struggling not having that was included in hubspot and that is the ability to exclude specific contacts or company's from an email. It's easy to pick which lists to send an email to, but it would be so helpful to also have the option to add specific individuals to an email or likewise to remove specific individuals from receiving an email. I'm running into this problem a lot and it's so inefficient to download my list, delete the contact(s) I don't want to receive that particular email, and then having to re-upload the list again. It's a poor workaround and I'm honestly surprised constant contact hasn't done anything about this yet.
Status changed to: Open Questions

Hi @MattV542 what about our narrow by tag feature does not fit your needs?

Occasional Participant

This feature does help for individual contacts, but what if I need to exclude an entire segment? For example I'm sending an email that needs to go out to all 4,000 of our subscribers except for our health insurance clients. From what I understand, I'd have to create tags for each of the individuals on the health insurance client list (which has a few hundred people on it) instead of just choosing to exclude that sub-list from the campaign.

Administrator

Thank you @MattV542. At this time, segments and lists cannot be excluded on the scheduling screen and tagging is the way to go. I'm merging your idea into a larger thread with a request for more exclusion on the scheduling page. 

Hi everyone, thank you for your patience as we looked into this! Though this type of function is currently not available, we have received reports that users can now use our contact segments as a workaround.  

contacts-tab-segments-tab-you-havent-createed-any-segments-create-segement-button-step123.png

Contacts in List A who are also on List B can can be segmented from the full list. So in this case, users will want to tag list B with the list name and exclude this tag when creating your segment.

Participant

This functionality should be added. Your competition has had it for years...

Participant

Hello! Is there a way to exclude one contact on a list for an email campaign without deleting them from the list altogether? I need the ability to not send the email campaign to one or two people from a given list. Help! Thanks!

Employee

Hello @JenniferC4646 

We definitely can exclude specific contacts when scheduling an email. This is where we can utilize the "Narrow by Tag" option near the Select Recipients area on the scheduling page! You can see how to do so here

Participant

Hey @Adelina_R- the article you shared does not address my issue. I have an entire list tagged. How do I 'untag' one person on this list? I can't find an article on how to do this. The 'adding a tag/ deleting a tag/ help article does not address this, as it's not what I'm trying to do. Also, I can't figure out how to see the same view reflected in the screenshots of the help article you sent me. Are those screenshots and workflows dated now?

I can't find an article that addresses this issue- is there one? What I'm trying to do is very very simple. The logical workflow on most interfaces is to click into 'options' under a selected 'list' and check or uncheck certain contacts I want to be included/ excluded from a campaign. Am I missing something?

Participant

We sell trucks and we send a thank you with a picture of the truck they bought.  How hard can it be to send a one-off email?  I am looking at other mass email companies because it is way too difficult to get a single email sent. 

Occasional Participant

Totally want this.

Occasional Participant

Hello!

I am Maxcie Taylor, a Marketing Director for an upcoming influencer agency in Dallas, TX.

I absolutely love Constant Contact and it has helped grow business exponentially. 

I do wish there was a way to send individual emails as well. 

I also wish it could filter out duplicate emails on various lists to make sure people aren't receiving duplicate emails.  

Lastly, Instagram has just started a feature where those who don't have a Facebook could still run ads. 

Scheduling apps as well as other software are getting on board with creating the option to schedule your content only through IG. 

Constant Contact is invaluable to my business and these few minor tweaks would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for the consideration,

Maxcie Taylor

Occasional Participant

Can we create a way to add contacts and send individual emails without create a new list each time?

Constant contact is perfect for sending mass marketing emails, but they're also great for individual messages as well. 

Revamp every aspect of emails.

I want to send individual contacts my same branded email.

Make it happen Constant Contact.

You guys are awesome!

Participant

I'm leaving Constant Contact because for years and years you all have failed to do this one thing that we want. Why did you waste money updating your logo instead of providing this basic function for your users? System fail. 

Health Practitioners & Centers

Yes I also really need this feature for being able to send a thank you email to one customer.  Please add, it can't be that hard!

Regular Participant

Why the heck can't we do this in Constant Contact like we can in other similar programs?! This is 2020 for heaven's sake. I have a very important email to go out to list A but I don't want anyone in list A who is also in list b to get it. There is no way to do that. I am going nuts!

Participant

This would be an extremely useful feature. 

Participant

2020 Oct 12th and this is still not possible. with 55.000 clients in my list and 1500 customers i am tired of them saying I HATE YOU for offering specials to demos that we did not get. 

I guess i have look around for options. 

Participant

It is so appalling that a company with "contact" in their name doesn't have a very simple list suppression feature. 

THIS IS BASIC FOR ANY EMAIL MARKETING

No more excuses, get to work on creating a feature that has been standard since the 1990s. 

What happens with product feedback?

Find out about the life-cycle of a product idea when it is posted on our Feedback board.

Read More