Looking for the latest product updates? What's new for Spring 2024 is now available!

Select or exclude individual contacts/lists when sending email

Hey there! It would be great to have an efficient way to create exclusion lists. The tag system is a cumbersome process to go through when the goal is to simply send an email to List A, but exclude anyone who is also on List B. If a checkbox-to-exclude feature became a reality, you'd have a lot of happy customers! (I did search the "Constant Contact Community" when trying to find out how to exclude a list BTW.) 

I didn't necessarily want to post this particular message to the entire "community" but I couldn't find a way to just email my exclusion list request to your developers.

Thanks,

Kim

Top Answer
Kyle_R
Administrator

Hello,

We are considering this as Implemented with the addition of “AND” and “IS NOT” logic within the segments
feature. You can now create a segment for those who are a member of List A, and not a member of List B. After
this implementation sometime around mid-2021 we’ve seen requests on this particular feature drop off across
all of our feedback channels.

There was a large variety of use cases for this particular request, so this was the solution that had the widest range to address most of them. If you require additional filtering needs, you may be interested in adding your voice to one of these existing open ideas:

The ability to segment by specific date (before X or after X)

Additional Segment Criteria

For those looking to send an email to an individual contact, you may be interested in the Quick Send feature.

99 Comments
DawnH1634
Rookie

Yes, I cannot believe this isn't an option on Constant Contact. I've had it available in other mailing platforms.

StephanieW782
Rookie
I really like the product but can't believe you can't suppress a list during the sending process. I have a big list but am always needing to exclude subscribers and patrons from that list. The system needs a way to select lists to not send to just as it has options for who to send to
SarahScates
Campaign Contributor
I would love to be able to create new lists by subtracting one list from another. It happens often that we want to send a similar email to specific audiences, but with slightly different text (i.e. Thank you for your donation last year vs Thank you for being a member) This means I need to edit the lists so that a person who is a donor and a member receives only one email. I would love to be able to do suppression within Constant Contact instead of having to export to excel to create entirely new lists. For example, Send Email A to Donor List. Send Email B to Member List minus Donor List.
Nathan_L
Administrator
Status changed to: Open Questions

Thank you for the feedback! We currently offer this functionality with tags and being able to include or exclude by tags on the scheduling page for your campaigns.

You can find more information on this on our Knowledge Base.

In your scenario, you can have your Members List and tag all your contacts within that list with a Donors tag. If this isn't the specific functionality you're looking for, please let us know!

Nathan_L
Administrator
Status changed to: Open Questions

Thank you for the feedback! Can you provide me with a little more detail as to what you're trying to achieve? Our system requires you to select all lists you're wanting to send to, so if there is a list you do not want to send to, you can leave that unchecked.

Amputee_Associates
Campaign Collaborator

It would be very helpful to add a feature where you can select one contact to send an e-mail to. So when you create an e-mail and go to send it out, instead of selecting a list, there would also be an option to just select 1 contact. 

This concept could also let you select multiple contacts if need be without having to have a specific list created. 

Would love to see this as a feature!

-Mike 

Patrick_W
Status changed to: Voting Open

Great feedback @Amputee_Associates,

I'm going to open this up for voting. 

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for but it might be helpful.  Once you have sent a campaign you have the ability to 'quicksend' it to individual contacts from your Contacts tab.  Here are instructions on how to do that in case it's helpful:  https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/39494-Resend-an-Email-Using-QuickSe...

ToddK4
Rookie

This has long been one of my biggest complaints and wants from CC. It is amazing to me that they still do not have this feature!  I send out emails for an upcoming event with a registration link.  I want to exclude anyone who has already registered, but removing that email manually from all my lists is unreasonable. So people who have already registered end up getting multiple emails and some of them register more than once. Simple suppression functionality, where I can upload a CSV of emails NOT to send to, would solve this!

Are you kidding? Constant contact doesn’t have this? 

WinnieOo
Rookie

Yes, badly needed!!

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More