cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Due to an issue with YouTube, inserting videos in your emails is showing an error. Until they are able to resolve this issue, we recommend using a different video hosting service. We will continue to monitor this outage and update you as we have more information.

Give Error Feedback

0 Votes

Give Error Feedback

"Contact Import Failed." is useless information. Give some indication of where or what it is failing on. Line number, garbage text, something. I am simply feeding email addresses back into your system in order to group them into lists. But, it is erroring out. Frustrating.
26 Comments
Occasional Contributor

In the optional fields, why does field 8 come before field 4? When I bring up my contact list, why are they sorted by first name? To me it seems more logical to sort by last name or email address. In my error list, I have 300+ errors. It appears that I put first name in the email column. In the error report I am given only the first name. With only the first name, I have no way of finding the email name in my original document. CContact needs a better way to fix errors. If I have an error, the report should show everything that I submitted.

Occasional Contributor
I just tried adding 6 contacts by copying and pasting their names and emails in one batch. After I selected the lists for the group, CC told me that 4 had been added, 2 had been updated and 3 could not be added. I called CC and spoke to someone who showed me how to use the activity link to find out a bit more information. When I click on the red "3" next to the activity (Add names and emails), it reads: "This job had 3 issues: 3 contacts were un-subscribed and could not be added to the list." These messages are confusing in two places. The first is when it says 3 added/2 updated/3 couldn't be added. This suggests there were 9 contacts being added. The second place is the message in the activity that says "3 contacts were un-subscribed." The fact is there were only 6 contacts, not 9. And there was only ONE (1) *contact* that couldn't be added. I finally realized that this confusing message is indicating that there was an attempt to add a (i.e., 1) contact to 3 LISTS, but that one contact was unsubscribed. It would be much more helpful if the error messages didn't mix up the number of contacts with the number of lists. It should read something like: 4 contacts were added to 3 lists, 2 contacts were updated and 1 contact could not be added to 3 lists. At the very least, the Activity Type message should be a "1" instead of a "3" because it was only one email address that was unsubscribed. So grateful I only had to figure this out for a small number. I can only imagine the confusion for those uploading large numbers of emails!
Frequent Visitor

As an e-mail admin, I would appreciate more detail to diagnose why a message was blocked.  Was it blocked because it came from a certain Constant Contact IP flagged as SPAM by a popular RBL, was it blocked due to greylisting, one never knows under this catchall category.

Regular Visitor
Giving an error that something went wrong and you will look at it shortly doesn't help me right now or make me feel like Constant Contact cares about my account. I need to add contacts now, not when you decide to get back to me.
CTCT Employee
Status changed to: New
Thank you for your suggestion!

I am sorry to hear this is giving you trouble. Can you clarify the action you are taking when you see this error message? Also, what does the error say?

Thanks for your help!

Advisor

Hello Phil,

I can understand the error messages in the new contacts system when importing can be difficult to understand when you do receive errors. We appreciate your feedback regarding the way they are currently handled, what would you like to see in place of the way we currently have the errors shown, so we can pass this on to our product management team.

Mike

Tier 2 Community Support

Occasional Contributor
I am not able to see which contacts there are errors with , when I import a list from a file. this used to be a function.
Occasional Contributor
We've had 3 imports to our CC database fail, with no error message informing me that there was a problem. Could you add an error message to pop up when this happens?
Regular Visitor
For several days I've tried to update my contacts list by uploading a .xls file. Every time I get an error message that says Constant Contact is aware of the problem and it will be resolved shortly. Please help!
CTCT Employee

Thank you for supplying us with this feedback.  I want to apologize for the issues you are having uploading a spreadsheet.  We would be happy to help troubleshoot this with you.  Please feel free to reach out to us so we can walk through this together.  Sometimes changing the file to be saved as a .csv will help upload the contacts.  Don't hesitate to reach out to us with any other questions or feedback!

CTCT Employee
Thank you for your feedback Meg! The errors are still available in your account. To find them, please go to Activity page and click the red box for the activity showing you the total number of errors. You can click on the hyperlinked number for errors and it will take you to the Errors list on the Contacts page where you can correct the email addresses one by one or delete them. Hope this helps!
CTCT Employee
Thanks for your feedback. The "contact import failed" is the error message but I will be happy to submit this for you so we can add more explanation to why it's failing This is a sporadic system error our engineers have worked on and will continue to monitor to avoid it from happening again.
Occasional Participant
I have never had any trouble before with adding contacts from a list. The last time, none of the name were added saying they were invalid email addresses. These are the same email addresses I use to communicate with these people regularly. What's up? I'll try removing the " " marks in the error list to see what happens.
doesn't offer an explanation why.
Occasional Visitor
I received the error message: import complete. There were 2 contacts added. One contact was updated. One contact could not be added to the selected list or lists. It would be helpful to tell me which contact was not added so I don't have to check them all
imported excel list 634 contacts. new list says it has a total of 619 with only 4 unsubscribed. where are the other 11 contacts?? and why does the errors list include all errors rather than just the ones from your list? This used to be so easy. bad changes to program!!!
Advisor

Hello,

The issue you are curerntly having is being looked into our engineering team. What you are seeing is your unsubscribe count not being accurately reported in your activitiy. What i would recommend is that you call into our support team and provide them the file you are importing and we should be able to provide you a list of contacts that are not importing ( unsubscribed ).

Mike

Tier 2 Community Support

Thanks for this feeback, Linda. I am sorry to hear of the frustration this has caused. Can you clarify where you saw this message? Were you trying to add contacts to the account just to put them in a new list?

Hi, I'm getting an error message that 'some rows need my attention' Well, I don't think they do. I've entered contacts here before... I see nothing wrong with my 'rows' and I need these three contacts added.
All Star
Simply stating that "Import Failed" is about as useful to me as a system that won't import contacts. Please provide error details so that the problematic list can be corrected, otherwise there is a lot of guesswork about what might be wrong. Is it your system? Is it our formatting? Is it a cell? A row? A column? File size? So many potential errors, so little help...
I don't know what this means and there is no indication how to fix it. I'm not happy.
Occasional Visitor
1. When a text block cannot be saved because a phrase/s are rejected, it would be very helpful if the offending phrase/s were highlighted - saves rereading the entire text. Also notice that most rejects relate to the three dots (...) indicating skipped portion from the original document. Helpful if you can simply accept this syntactical feature. 2. It would be helpful if the SAVE button on the toolbar read BLOCK SAVE and the gold SAVE button at the top read DOCUMENT SAVE.
The amount of information provided in system feedback that contact could not be entered is too generic -- for example it says rejected because field requiring name or company is required -- yet all fields mentioned are in fact filled. Makes no sense. Valuable time spent re-entering same info over and over again with no logical system responses.
Visitor
Your adding emails sections is horrible! I have tried adding several emails that I know to be fine and once it gives you the INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS message, it then fouls up anything else you add afterwards... it doesn't allow for corrections and then all additional email addresses, even good ones, are treated the same way. YOU DEFINITELY NEED TO FIX THIS SYSTEM!!
Status changed to: Voting Open