Occasional Participant
SharonAnn

Re: How to track contacts who never open emails

[ Edited ]

No it really doesn't. I am trying to tracking who hasn't opened my emails over several months so I can delete them. There should be a way to have a report that does this. Like, who didn't open my email this month, last month. Knowing CC, there probably isn't anything like that but it would be nice.

Jarrad_M
Topics: 276
Kudos: 234
Solutions: 89

[ Edited ]

Hi Sharon, You are correct that that there is no report generated by our system which will tell you who has not opened your email. Sorry for the inconvenience. I see how a non open report could be useful and I will pass on your feedback. The FAQ Marissa posted is a workaround which would allow you to create a list of those contacts who have not opened your email. This list could then be exported and used to remove the contacts who have not opened your email from your active lists. Thank you for your feedback, Jarrad Community & Social Media Support Representative

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Occasional Participant
keverix

I have been saying this for years. Constant Contact will not create a report such as this because it will reduce our mailing list and Constant Contact will lose money. I have 700 more people I want to add more than 60% of the people on my list are not opening and I want to delete them before I add 700 more which will INCREASE my price. I can't believe Constant Contact is not aware of how much this can help users... I think you guys don't WANT to help us with this.

Kevin

Clique_Marketing
Topics: 14
Kudos: 88
Ideas: 10
Solutions: 12

[ Edited ]

Sharon,

Inactive Subscribers.

"Anyone who hasn't opened an email from you or clicked on a link over a period of time can be deemed "inactive." These people are not lost forever, however. Contrary to what you might think, they are like potential new clients, but even better! They loved you before. Now is your chance to make them fall in love with you again. Recently I received an email from a shopping site I used to frequent but had, over time, just stopped paying attention to. The email acknowledged I hadn't shopped there for a while and offered an enticing incentive to get me back. My interest was piqued on two levels: I felt special and I was getting a great offer. The result? I clicked through, the site was back on my radar, and I made a purchase within a week." 

Source: The ClickMail Marketer

Before you delete them, try creating a special piece with a custom subject line to draw them in. Then if that fails. BLOW THEM UP. 

How's this for an easier way to clean house.

1.) Make a back up of your master list and download it

2.) Create a new list for "The Openers"

3.) Go over your last X number of emails and merge all the folks that have opened something to the list in step 2.

4.) This should now be a master list of all the folks that have interacted with you.

5.) Delete your old master list.

Rise and repeat.

Jarrad_M

[ Edited ]

Hi Kevin,

We're more concerned with the quality of your list and not the quantity. We would rather see you have a list that performs well than a list full of contacts that do not open your mail or bounce. We do track opens via a 1 pixel image in your email. If images are not downloaded, the open will not track. Because of this, there could be contacts opening your emails that are not being counted.

One way to determine if a contact is still interested in your email is by doing a confirmed opt in mailing. This mailing will contain a link. If a contact does not click the link to confirm their interest, then they will not be added back into your list.

To do a confirmed opt in mailing, follow these steps:

1. Enable your account for Confirmed Opt-in if it is not already turned on.
  2. Use the "Confirm Permission" template to send a confirmation email to the group of subscribers.

From the My Settings > Manage My Settings > Confirmed Opt-in ON screen:

1. Click the "Send a Confirm Contacts Email (Optional)" link.
    2. Enter an email campaign name and click Next.
    3. Go through the wizard, adding content as necessary.

Note: We strongly recommend that you do not change the text in the body of the message as this may decrease the number of subscribers who follow through and confirm their permission.
    4. When you have finished, click Save & Next.
    5. Select the list that will receive the campaign and click Next.
    6. Set the email campaign delivery date and click Finish.

From the Email Campaigns > Create screen:

1. Enter an email campaign name and click Next
    2. Below the template categories in the left column click the "Create a confirmation email" link.
    3. Go through the wizard, adding content as necessary.

Note: We strongly recommend that you do not change the text in the body of the message as this may decrease the number of subscribers who follow through and confirm their permission.
    4. When you have finished, click Save & Next.
    5. Select the interest category that will receive the campaign and click Next.
    6. Set the email campaign delivery date and click Finish.

Remember to turn Confirm Opt-in back off if you do not want to automatically confirm new subscribers at signup.

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Clique_Marketing
Topics: 14
Kudos: 88
Ideas: 10
Solutions: 12

"We're more concerned with the quality of your list and not the quantity. We would rather see you have a list that performs well than a list full of bounce backs. "

Perhaps I am missing something.  I read this topic to be folks concerned with email that was not opened and not email that was bouncing.  The bouncers are a no-brainier.  Two different scenarios in my mind. 

Jarrad_M

Thanks for pointing out my mistake Tony. I'll fix my post.

Jarrad

Occasional Visitor
ChristineF53300

Re: Report for contacts who don't open the e-mails

I completely agree that such a feature would be important for Constant Contact to add.  It would be very helpful.  Constant Contact shouldn't worry about us having potentially viewer contacts in our mailing lists (--> lower fees for Constant Contact) as it will make our emails more efficient and reach a more interested audience, leading us to recommend Constant Contact to others.

Visitor
BrianK892

Re: Is there a way to view contacts who did NOT open my e-mail?

When you say : Remove Link.

Did you mean to say Remove List?

Occasional Advisor
SueBailey

Re: Report for contacts who don't open the e-mails

It would indeed be really helpful to have a list of people who never open the emails.

Whilst I understand there may be a slight chance that those opening the emails are not recorded if the pixel is not traced, I am in the same situation as a previous respondee - I am near going into another price bracket, and wish to clean up my list to ensure I only send to those who ARE opening the emails.

It really would be helpful to everyone using CC to be able to do this.

I've just tried using the method suggested here, as I asked exactly the same question to CC customer service and had quite a detailed step by step reply, but it doesnt seem to work.

Surely with all the sophisticated measures CC have put in place, it is a simple thing/column  to add into response reports, and if we see can therefore see someone has NEVER opened an email, we can remove them from a list?

Like someone else said, it would make us recommmend CC to others even more (as I have on several occasions already!)