Occasional Participant
AndrewP04

Re: How to track contacts who never open emails & Tracking Drop Outs

Well, I had similar questions about tracking open e-mails (my list is just over 5,000) and have now read all the posts on this thread. I am very encouraged by the reasonable answers recently post by Jonathan. I have over 35 years experience in IT and his responses sound like they come from a true professional (I cannot say the same for the prior posts from other CC staff in this thread... they sounded like 'B' team responses to me... good but not great!). Good luck Jonathan... I look forward to your improvements in 2012... BTW, can you also fix the KLUDGY  editing features for e-mail marketing, it's a PITA.

So, until improvements are made, here's my take on managing e-mail lists:

1. Do not trust the 'open' statistics... they are not accurate and can only be used as a relative guide  to your previous mailings.

2. Do not believe the 'Bounce' statistics... I do not think they are 100% based upon limited testing on my part... Jonathan, I would appreciate your comments on this item.

3. Trust your customers to delete themselves from the lists until the above two items get addressed.

4. In terms of cost: That is dependent upon the individual business model and their expectations. For my business (a restaurant), a penny or two for a monthly mailing is a very good deal... sure beats snail mail... and I have no plans to change vendors given that all services are not fully mature from a technical viewpoint and Jonathan's posts give me hope that CC might now have a solid technical leader with common business sense.

So, that's my 2 cents. 

Occasional Participant
BryonW

Re: How to track contacts who never open emails

Although not ideal I thought I would just share what I have done to work around all of CC's frustrating lack of functionality. Thank you to the post warning everyone about Confimed Opt-in Emails via CC as I was potentially going to look into that until I also found out you get one email to that list and they are in or out permanatly , as I had asked if I could send multiple confirmations to a list to try and weed contacts out over time.

So basicallyI tried to make my own confirmation email. First I have been exporting my list of opens over the past few months (reminder - CC only keeps the past 3 months - lame) so that I would have a historical list of who has opened my emails according to CC. Next I exported my complete contact list. I opened my compiled "Openers" list and colored them green in excel. I then copied these contacts into my complete list excel file and sorted them. Manually and painfully I went through and deleted all the green cells with their match so that I ended up with a list of "non openers". So now I had two excel files, one of openers, and the other of openers.

Next I imported these lists into CC and deleted my default contact list, leaving me with two new lists.

So now I created a new contact list called "Confirmed customers" and made this my default list so its also where people who filled out my subscribe form would wind up. (I may be different in that my contacts come more from other web leads and opt-ins then those who directly fill out the "subscribe to newsletter form")

Thats pretty much the difficult work (thanks CC!)

So now I have created a series of email confirmations myself requesting people to "Re-Join My List". I suggest going through the process yourself just to see what it looks like. But when a current subscriber clicks to join they just have to go in and re-submit their information. HOWEVER because I made a new default list, when they re-submit their information they are putting themselves on my "Confirmed Customers" contact list. Once they do that they end up on both my "Confirmed Customers" list and my "non openers" list, so I go in and remove them from the "non-openers" list, thus keeping both lists clean and separate.

Here is one of the emails I sent in case you want to see it: Confirmation Email #2

So hopefully after a series of these emails I will haveany one I thought to be a "non openers" confirm their emails for me without the permanacy of CC's Confirmation Opt-In email and the inability to send multiple confirmation emails. And then when my series of confirmation emails are done I will simply delete my "non-openers" list lessening the funds I have to send monthly to CC.

I am not sure if this is the best solution, but it is A solution and am sharing purely because of that. Thank you CC for making it simple to keep my list clean!

Also if anything was confusing and needs clarification just let me know.

Occasional Advisor
samn3s

I have forgotten......even though I was told:  How To

I do NOT like CC's New Editor!  The old one was MUCH BETTER in every way!

I got a phone call from a CC Support Person who told me how to switch back to the Old Editor?  But of course?  I have forgotten How To Do It?

Can someone here tell me how to Switch Back to the Old CC Editor?

Thank You!

Sam in Henderson of www.HOA1234.com

Jarrad_M
Topics: 276
Kudos: 235
Solutions: 89

Hi Sam,

We cannot switch you back to the old WYSIWYG editor, but you may be able to access our Classic Wizard by creating a new email and selecting Classic Wizard as your choice of editor. Keep in mind that the Classic Wizard is no longer being supported and you may run into issues with it.

If you're having trouble with your current email with the WYSIWYG editor, try adding a new block or clearing styles from the current block.

If you need immediate assistance, please call us at 1-866-289-2101. We are open until 8:00 PM EST Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Regular Participant
JonathanMandell

Thank you both Bryon and Andrew for sharing your work arounds with the community.  I will continue to look into the issues you have brought up and will post more info every week or two here as I have more to share.  In the meantime I am collecting all these best practices for working with our products.  My goal is to find a way to share this info with all of our customers since I am certain that many will benefit.  

Jonathan Mandell
Product Manager - Reporting and Analytics
Developer
InfoGrow

[ Edited ]

What a wonderful discussion going on here! I might actually reference this thread on my blog, it does a great job of illustrating why having a CRM system in place is so important for all businesses, large and small. CC is great for the phsical construction and delivery of emails. List management, tracking, and reporting however....that's where CRM really shines.

InfoGrow - Accelerating Growth Through Better Sales and Marketing Decisions

Link Your Constant Contact efforts to Microsoft CRM with CRM2Emails, available on the CC Marketplace.

Marissa_R
Topics: 436
Kudos: 215
Blog Posts: 307
Solutions: 85

This post has been removed or reported as abuse by another community member.

Occasional Visitor
CharlesB27

This is a major problem that should be a simple solution for Constant Contact to implement. It would be extremely helpful to be able to run this report without wasting countless time trying to manipulate the data.

Visitor
DennisD80

There is a product on AbleBits.com that removes duplicates Plus the first entry from spreadsheets in Excel.

Its called Removing Excel Duplicates. - it goes beyond what the standard remove duplicate does that comes with Excel

There is a 15 day trial

Export your list of all contacts

Then export list of contacts that opened emails

Merge them into the same spread sheet in excel

Run ablebits duplicate wizard in excel

Remove duplicates +1 (original)

What is left is those that never opened your email. Load them back into constant contact to do a seperate email to those.

Or do what ever you want with them

Regular Participant
JonathanMandell

Thanks for that work around Dennis while we continue to work on a Did Not Opens report.  I want to also reiterate that someone that opens your email and is not displaying images in their email program will not be counted as an open unless they click on a link.  This is how every email company tracks opens.  So, it is possible to have people that will tell you they opened and read your email but they still appear as if they did not.  This is why we do not recommend removing everyone that appears as having not read your email.

Over the course of several email campaigns you can assume that those people that have images turned off will always have them off and those that have them on will always have them on, so you can track the improvement in open rate over time. 

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan Mandell
Product Manager - Reporting and Analytics