The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

In advanced search capabilities, need boolean choices between multiple search fields

It looks like when I do an advanced search for customers with Tag A and Tag B it returns all contacts that have Tag A OR Tag B. I want to search for Tag A AND Tag B contacts, though, and there is no way to do this?
23 Comments
Visitor

I am trying to do a serach for contacts that are on 1 list but not on any 1 and up to 4 other lists.  It would be nice if there was a an OR option.  Here is an example.  

Search Criteria.jpg

Thanks for sharing this feedback!

Status changed to: Voting Open

Visitor
Within the Advanced Search I want the ability to select for additional seaches if it is an "and" or and "or" parameter. Current the Advance Search is an "or" by default it seems. Reason: I have created tags to show unopened emails against monthly newsletters. I want to search for those customers that have not open multiple emails in a row so that I can "tag them again with something like 4x Unopened in a row" contact them with a specific offer or email and try an win them back. At the moment I can not identify serial unopeners!!
Employee
Status changed to: New

We really need the "and" functionality.... based on a more robust program and functionality, we may have to look elsewhere for our solution.

Thanks for posting this feedback! We're aware of this and working toward a resolution. For the current time to do a search like this you can search by Tag A, save to a list and then search that list for Tag B. 

Status changed to: Certified Great Idea

Occasional Visitor
When using tags to 'narrow down' a distribution the logic is using an implicit OR to do so. As a result, you get a summation of ALL contacts that match any of the tags. Instead, I need the distribution list to get smaller as I select tags e.g. use an implicit AND. For example, currently if I had tags of '123 Main (10)' and 'Blonde Hair (6)' and added these using the 'narrow it down' option I would have a total distribution of 16. But what if I wanted those who live on 123 Main Street AND have blond hair? That number should be 10 or fewer. Not the sum of all contacts that match either or tag.
Status changed to: New

Status changed to: Closed - No Action

Visitor
Hi, I am trying to remove all emails that end with duke.edu from my TX contact list. When I do a search, I can find all contacts in my TX list and all contacts ending with duke.edu but I cannot find only the contacts ending with duke.edu which reside in the TX list. I don't want to completely remove duke.edu contacts. I just want to remove them from my TX list and I've been told I have to do this manually.

Thank you for the great suggestion, @JonathanB981!

We don't currently have the ability to narrow down our advanced search by list, but this is definitely something I can see as being useful.  I'm happy to share this feedback.

Best,

Patrick

Occasional Organizer

We should be able to search

Tag is 'Vet'

and

Tag is not 'New Client'

Tags seem a bit pointless without that search functionality.

Occasional Organizer

Has there been any update on this, I just posted this very same suggestion, not realizing it had already been suggested.

Great feedback @SteveB6360,

Opening this up for voting!

Administrator

Administrator
Status changed to: Certified Great Idea

Occasional Organizer

The contact search engine is frustrating because you need to type the exact name or email to find a contact, and it won't search within the comments or notes of a contact for the information. For example, if I search for <john@hotmail.com> it won't find it, because of the "<" symbol. Or if the email is misspelled (john@hotmial.com), it won't pull up that contact. I also wish I could search keywords, such as "John" "Canada" "engineer" and it would pull based on information in John's profile, and cross reference tags, such as "contains tag: Canada" and "contains tag: engineer". Right now, the search engine only allows for you to search one tag at a time.

Main idea: make the search engine smarter and more intuitive/user-friendly

Visitor

Advanced search is definitely under-powered. Since CC doesn't support Boolean searches, try selecting all the records that match any of the criteria using CC's OR logic.

For example, if you want to see all contacts that have a certain combination of tags, use CC search to find contacts that include ANY of the tags in which you are interested.

Example: Tags is "Tag1" OR Tags is "Tag2", etc.

1. Export the CC search results to a CSV file

2. Use a tool like MS Excel to open the CSV file and use filters to select only the rows that meet your original criteria (rows that contain both Tag1 and Tag2).

3. Save the filtered rows to a new CSV

4. Import the filtered CSV back into a new CC list or give the contacts a new tag upon import, such as "Both Tag1 and Tag2".

Now you should be able to search for the records using a single tag or by opening the newly created list.