cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
In recognition of Memorial Day our Support office will be closed Monday, May 28th. We will re-open with normal hours on Tuesday, May 29th.

Multiple Emails for Contacts

Multiple Emails for Contacts

Many of the indivduals we are sending our email campaigns to have multiple email addresses (either a personal and work, or a work email and an assistant, sometimes multiple assistants, etc.).  Before, we were able to send the same message to up to three different email addresses under one contact, by labeling the emails as "work", "home" and "other".

Now that Constant Contact has updated and changed their contacts to only having 1 email address per contact, we are unable to properly reach our intended audience.  

This significantly reduces the functionality of Constant Contact for our business and we have already started looking at other options. 

64 Comments
All Star

I manage an email list for a school, and I take the addresses out of our student information system (csv) and then upload to Constant Contact. Most families have more than one email address (mom & dad, home & work, etc), but having multiple contacts per family really messes up updating custom merge fields. 

I have had nothing but a great experience with Constant Contact, however, our pre-paid plan expires soon, and this feature changes has made it necessary that our organization seek a service to send emails.

All Star
All Star

I posted this response on another thread. I'm with the people above.

I work for a property owners' association and sometimes have multiple owners in different states or countries.

BTW, get REAL. The reason this was done is because we pay by our total contacts. IF we can't combine comtacts, it increase our rates.

As a small non-profit wher EVERY penny counts, THAT MATTERS.

I will DEFINITELY be looking for another email software provider.  

All Star
All Star

I posted this response on another thread on CC. I'm with the people above.

I work for a property owners' association and sometimes have multiple owners in different states or countries.

BTW, get REAL. The reason this was done is because we pay by our total contacts. IF we can't combine comtacts, it increases our rates.

As a small non-profit where EVERY penny counts, THAT MATTERS.

Our prepaid contract renews in the spring and  will DEFINITELY be looking for another email software provider to suggest to my Board of Directors.

Occasional Contributor

Add me to the list of people who are really annoyed by this change! And thanks for just doing it without any indication in the software that it was gone.  I was going insane trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.  It is really annoying to have to create all separate contacts for families within a single household, it duplicates all our efforts SIGNIFICANTLY.  Please put it back immediately!

You removed a critical feature for marketers. No clue why you would have removed the capability to import multiple email address for one person. Out of a list of 50,000 people, I can no longer add 3,000 additional emails. For marketers, all emails are extremely valuable. I can not justify paying for a service that is doing me a disservice. I am now exploring mailchimp and other e-blast platforms. I'm sad as your customer service is stellar and the platform is extremely user friendly which is why I stayed with you guys this long.
Occasional Contributor

THIS SHOULD BE A NO BRAINER???!!! WHY ISN'T IN PLACE ALREADY?

Regular Visitor

I agree!

All Star

The customer service personnel explain that there were 'defects' in the way that the system worked prior to this 'fix'.  They say that "People with multiple email addresses wouldn't know what list they were on for their various email addresses".  It sounds like marketing administrators (CC Users) need training -- Not to be cut off at the knees.

The CSR had no problem transferring me to billing to discuss cancellation.  That's sad.

The Billing CSR had no idea of this change at his company - and kind of agreed with me that this whole thing 'smells wrong'.  I asked to be put in contact with a manager higher up in the company so I can express my displeasure.  We'll see what happens.

All Star
We make critical use of the ability to have multiple email addresses associated with a single contact. I see that this feature has now been removed. This is unfortunate as that was a key selling feature for us. We use CC to maintain a membership list for a mountain climbing club. We are about 350 people. Some members want to get club emails at both home or work, or to have their spouse on their membership (we have individual and family memberships). I understand that now I need to have individual contact records for each email address for that person. Keeping multiple records in sync will be not be easy. I'm not even sure how I will know that a specific person has multiple records that need to be kept in sync. For example, one of the fields is membership expiry date. I use that field to identify members that need to get an email telling them to renew. If a person renews I can update their record with a new expiry date - but I don't know how it will be obvious if that person has multiple records so that I can update that information on every record for that contact. Thus he might renew, but I might keep sending him notices to pay-up on his other contact records (which I suspect he could find annoying!) That's why this was such a good feature! I hope you can put this feature back in. Thanks, Ken
Occasional Visitor
Previously, I could have two email addresses for the same contact person. That field is missing now. The ones that previously had two remained but am unable to add another email address to a contact for anything moving forward.