cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Emails for Contacts

Multiple Emails for Contacts

Many of the indivduals we are sending our email campaigns to have multiple email addresses (either a personal and work, or a work email and an assistant, sometimes multiple assistants, etc.).  Before, we were able to send the same message to up to three different email addresses under one contact, by labeling the emails as "work", "home" and "other".

Now that Constant Contact has updated and changed their contacts to only having 1 email address per contact, we are unable to properly reach our intended audience.  

This significantly reduces the functionality of Constant Contact for our business and we have already started looking at other options. 

73 Comments
Frequent Visitor

Since I've been working in the Constant Contact software program in the last day or two, I have discovered a lot of things resulting in a long list of questions for Customer Service, which I called today.  I am following up our conversation in writing to ensure it gets to your software developers ASAP.

I have to say that if I had been one of the individuals evaluating whether to change to Constant Contact or choose some other program for CCRP last fall, I would have definitely gone with some other program.  There are such basic things that it prevents you from doing, or should have in place that do not exist and it has been really frustrating.  And believe me, I have worked in dozens of types of software programs for the last few decades, including working with software developers for custom software programs, and Constant Contact is so minimally basic that I just don't give it high marks at all. I provided feedback to your Customer Service team on the following (annoying) items today:

1. Each contact is only allowed one email address, and no others can be added - this is stupid (unlike our iPhone contacts which can retain multiple email addresses).  You should at least be able to add multiple email addresses as well as choose whether it's primary or secondary, but this program does neither.
  2. Contacts without email addresses cannot be added.  This means that if we want to maintain  list of all contacts without email addresses, it must be kept separately in a spreadsheet, other program, or you can add a "dummy/fake" email into Constant Contact because otherwise the system won't even let you save it,  which again, is so stupid and defeats the purpose of maintaining all types of contacts for an organization or business.  There should be some type of flag or checked box that you can identify on each record for those without email addresses, but of course there is none. 
  3. I've seen several existing multiple (same) contacts that should be merged or consolidated.  Unfortunately, Constant Contact does not have a feature to merge contacts (unlike our iPhone contacts which can allows contact data to be merged).  The actual contact name that you do not want must be deleted individually, and then the data that you do want to keep manually input into the other contact that you want to retain. 
  4. "Notes" cannot be deleted or edited after hitting enter - again, a really stupid, basic item that should be allowed.
  5. And this is a key critical one - If a contact is added that currently exists with a different name but the same email address, the system automatically overrides the data to the new name when you hit save, which is so stupid!  What it should do before saving is provide a warning message that says, 'An account already exists with this email address.  Are you sure you want to save?' but it does not.  So in essence, you have already overwritten the old data without not even knowing that it existed in the first place.  This is just bad, bad, bad programming.
Solution Provider

Hmm, I am allowed to have multiple emails for one person. They are each a separate contact. What I cant have and would like to have back is the ability to have multiple names - such as family members - attached to one email

All Star
Whenever I update from a .vcf file (I'm using a Mac), I'm having trouble with emails. It used to be that any email entered in Contacts (work, home, "other") would default to the "email address" column in the import; as of a few months ago (possibly when I switched to the newest version of Contacts?), it adds a separate column for each email address. Worse, it then doesn't let me label the additional columns as email addresses, and my imports end up with missing people. I can't import one by one, and I can't always upload multiple times and switch which column is the email address, since some people have work and home addresses, and I don't want them uploaded twice. Please either let me know a way to work around this, or change the upload to have multiple email options.