Contributing Developer
cauleyfj

Problems with Comcast and Wowway

I am having a continuing problem with emails sent to

subscribers using Comast and WowWay.

In particular: On Sunday February 17, 2013 we sent out our weekly newsletter to about 7000 email boxes.

On Monday, a subscriber informed me that she did not receive the newsletter. I  looked at the bounces and found her address in the blocked section. She was using wowway. I resent her email and she was able to open it. I noticed that there were about 200 other woway members in the blocked category. I then downloaded all the blocked email addresses and filtered out the wowway entries. I then re-mailed them manually, 25 at a time. As of this writing, on the day after my re-mailing, 25 of the wowway people have opened their mail.

How can I prevent something like this from happening?

Hannah_M
Topics: 201

Re: Problems with Comcast and Wowway

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Thanks for our post. I am sorry to hear you have been having trouble with these addresses. We aren't aware of any issues with Comcast email addresses so I took a closer look at your account. I don't see any emails sent on 2/17 so I looked at the reporting from the email sent out on 2/20. I see the wowway addressed that are bouncing back as blocked but in doing further research it does not look like they bounce every email. You can see this by clicking on a specific email address and viewing the "Email History" and "Bounce History" on the left.

The most common methods of blocking are the use of filters, blocklists, or both. The goal of these is to block spam or unsolicited email. The degree of blocking varies by blocklist. Some block only spam while others are overly aggressive resulting in the blocking of legitimate and requested email. Those that are overly aggressive may block emails from all Constant Contact sending addresses.

In order to resolve this, we encourage you to ask your contact to contact the customer service department of his or her ISP. In this case, Wowway. A letter to the ISP not only relays his or her dissatisfaction, but most importantly, requests a lift to the block. We have drafted a sample letter that your contact may use to send to their ISP and a letter you can send your contact alerting them of this issue. This letter includes all the information the ISP will need to lift the block.

We've got even more information on this available in this FAQ: What is a blocked email address?

I apologize for the trouble this has caused and hope this information helps.

Hannah McClure
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!