Occasional Advisor
SusanL20

Re: Bad Gateway Error Message

Hi, it's about 4 months later from when I first posted (although the issue has been occurring for much longer) and I still have the same problem. Any word on getting this resolved?

Participant
JJ Buckley Fine WinesM1835295672

Ditto for us.

Marissa_R
Topics: 435
Kudos: 215
Blog Posts: 306
Solutions: 85

Hi Susan and JJ,

I apologize that you are continuing to have trouble when searching contacts.

After investigation, this issue appears to be limited to SOs searching (for our typical customers) extremely large lists typically during times of the day when our servers are busier. The 502 error is really a timeout on the search query and it's unfortunately not something that we can trap and give a nicer error message. Suggested workaround should be to have the SO try to search within a list (that hopefully has fewer contacts) rather than searching active contacts. I realize this may not be acceptable for some SOs. You can also try searching using "matches exactly" instead of "begins with" and searching during non-peak hours.

When we rearchitect our Contacts area, we will try to make it so that searches like these do not time out.

Again, I apologize for the trouble and I hope that helped!

Marissa Rogers
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Occasional Advisor
SusanL20

Thanks for the reply Marissa_W. What are considered non-peak hours for Constant Contact? My job requires me to work within set hours, so searching in the middle of the night is out of the question.

Marissa_R

[ Edited ]

Thanks Susan!

Our peak hours are probably from 11am-7pm EST.  Another approach you could take is to export your contacts under Contacts > Export. Then you can view them in Excel.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Marissa Rogers

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Occasional Advisor
SusanL20

I'm on Pacific Time so that's pretty much my entire workday except for the last hour. Your Excel trick won't help in my situation because once I find a contact that I'm searching for, I need to check out what lists they are on and make appropriate changes in Constant Contact. For now, I will continue to carry on...

Thanks for your suggestions!

Marissa_R

I'm sorry for the trouble, Susan.

When you export, you can choose to export the lists the contacts are on. Then you can make changes to that file > go back to Contacts > Click Add & Update > then in the overly, click Update on the top right.  Then upload your file and we'll save your changes for you.

That actually might be easier than within the system, especially if you have more than 1 contact you want to change!

Marissa Rogers

Occasional Advisor
SusanL20

Well, I'm trying to first find which list the contact is on, then make changes if needed. I have to do this one by one.

halykamaf

Marissa_R

I hope we come up with a better way for you soon Susan!

You're welcome halykamaf!

Marissa Rogers