cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove List Function

Remove List Function

Can't figure out how to remove a list of contacts from another list. Chat support can't explain it either, and call support is taking too long. It used to be so easy. Very disappointed in Constant Contact.

59 Comments
Status changed to: New

Thanks for posting, I am sorry to hear of the confusion. Removing one list from the other is simple now. You will want to start in the list you have that you want removed from the other and select all the contacts. Click "Add to Email Lists" in the header and Uncheck the list you want to remove the selected contacts from. If you see a dash in the box instead of a checkmark it indicates that some of the selected contacts are in the list but not all. You can still click to uncheck and remove the contacts. 

The new system is not very intuitive when it comes to removing contacts, especially if you have List A and List B, and you want to remove everyone in List A from List B. That system of check marks, blank boxes, and minus signs is not very intuitive and I can never remember what to do!
CTCT Employee

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for providing feedback. We really value your opinion. Our developers are aware of some confusion in this area and are working towards a resolution. Please continue providing any feedback that you have.

Previously, I could remove an excel sheet of contacts from a contact list (if i was sending out a promo that I didn't want booked guests to see). The activity log would show me how many were removed, and i could search the list to double check random removals against my spreadsheet. This new method of creating a remove list, then unchecking the list to remove the contacts from seems very vague, and when i check in activity log, it states ' x contacts added to lists' - no detail data successful removal from my list, and as far as i can tell, no ability to search for specific emails in a specific list. I may be doing this wrong..if anyone has a better method i'd love to hear it. FYI, i often remove 1000's of contacts from specific lists at certain times, but do not want to remove them permanently from my 'big list', just certain promos.
CTCT Employee

Hi Debs,

Thank you for reaching out to us!  With the new contact system we no longer offer the option to upload a file to remove contacts from a list, although you can still do that by taking some different steps, click on the link below for those steps:

Remove a file of contacts

If you would like this feature back, please continue to vote for this idea!

I also wanted to provide you with the steps on searching for a contact in a single list.  You can do that using the Advanced Search option.  Once you choose to search for an email address just choose Add Another, choose List, then type in the name of the list.  This will search just that contact list for that email address.

If you have any other questions or feedback, please let us know!  You can contact our support team by phone at 800-240-2302.

Thank you for using Constant Contact!

CTCT Employee

All Star
1. The new contacts manager no longer permits removal by upload, so I cannot clean a specific list using file upload. I now have to delete the list and reupload fresh. Not as helpful as the previous version. 2. In Chrome, I can only view 8 lists in the left side bar (Email Lists), so cannot get to some of the action commands. View All Lists only displays in the central part of the screen. So far, not enjoying using the new version. Was very happy with the old version, so am struggling to see what benefits the new version has provided. Please fix the removal bug urgently, or I will be looking around for alternative providers.