cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Remove List Function

Remove List Function

Can't figure out how to remove a list of contacts from another list. Chat support can't explain it either, and call support is taking too long. It used to be so easy. Very disappointed in Constant Contact.

59 Comments
Regular Visitor
I used this function at couple times a day and now I am going to have to search 1 by 1 to remove emails. This is not helpful and you shouldn't remove functions when upgrading your site.
Regular Visitor

The new feature to remove contacts from a list is workable but it would be nice to still have the quick removal box so you can copy and past in emails quickly.

Status changed to: New

I would very much like to have my removed contacts back. While I would not send the removed contacts everyday occurances about the club, it would be nice to target our prior members whom I removed when we are running an amnesity mailing. Thanks, Janet DeBiase
Occasional Advisor

We have a membership program with 6 individual levels at our theater. The membership lasts for a year and at the end of the year, if the person did not renew, their membership expires. Each day, I remove the expired memberships from CC by copy-and-pasting the email addresses into the Remove box, which allowed me to remove multiple contacts at once across all of the lists. Now, I either have to look up each email address individually (and some days, I have over 100 email addresses to go through) or I have to go through each list page-by-page which is extremely time consuming and can be a real horrowshow when having to go through over 17,000 contacts. I strongly request that you re-add the mass removal system you had in place before as this is a crucial tool I used every single day. Without this, I will be forced to look into alternative mailing solutions.

This wasn't a feature i used very often but it sure came in handy when i have to resend an email where i have a list of contacts and i don't know whether or not my new list already contains contacts from other existing lists.

CTCT Employee
Thank you for your feedback, Ray.
We used to have a way to remove a GROUP of contacts. I try diligently to clean up my member list each month before I send our newsletter -- but I can't do it without the ability to paste a GROUP of names in at once. No way am I going to search for each of 35-50 names individually. At the very least, put in the HELP that this is not possible, 'cause I just waited 10 minutes on hold to learn that this truly was no longer possible. I'm sad that you removed such a basic function.
Occasional Organizer
It used to be very simple to remove a group of emails from one particular list (not delete permanently, but just remove from one mailing list) . Since your upgrades to the system it is now a very confusing process. I had to contact support via chat to get instructions. I now know how to do it, but it's a much more confusing process now.

Occasional Contributor
PLEASE return the functionality of being able to remove contacts from a list by uploading the "to remove" contacts from a spreadsheet. The new method is arcane and difficult to understand. I consider myself to be a very experienced operator and I had a very difficult time with this. It required support assistance and I'm still not 100% sure what we did.
Visitor
Don't prevent re-adds of removed contacts. I'm removing a blocked contact but if his company decides to allow email from CC, I'd like to re-add him.
Frequent Visitor
I wanted to subtract contacts on list A from list B. I found FAQ article 000002550 on this subject. I have the "Improved Contacts Page". Step 4 says to click "Add to Email Lists". Step 5 says to "un-check" the list to be removed from. It's rather confusing and somewhat unnerving to be told to Add when I want to Subtract. Likewise, it's strange to uncheck the selection rather than check it. I hope you can change this to make it more logical.
Occasional Visitor
The new method to remove a batch of contacts from a list is extremely convoluted and not at all user-friendly or something I would have figured out without assistance from your representative.
CTCT Employee
Thank you for your feedback. There is a workaround that you can use to perform the same function. You can add the contacts you are removing to a tag, and then use that tag to delete the contacts.
  1. Click Add Contacts, and choose Add Names and Emails.
  2. Paste in the email addresses to be removed, and click continue.
  3. On the right, in the tags section, type in a tag name and hit enter, and then click Import.
  4. Back on the main contacts page, select the tag on the lower left.
  5. Check off the select-all check box at the top, and then click on More Actions and choose Delete.

Thanks for posting, I am sorry to hear of the confusion. Removing one list from the other is simple now. You will want to start in the list you have that you want removed from the other and select all the contacts. Click "Add to Email Lists" in the header and Uncheck the list you want to remove the selected contacts from. If you see a dash in the box instead of a checkmark it indicates that some of the selected contacts are in the list but not all. You can still click to uncheck and remove the contacts. 

The new system is not very intuitive when it comes to removing contacts, especially if you have List A and List B, and you want to remove everyone in List A from List B. That system of check marks, blank boxes, and minus signs is not very intuitive and I can never remember what to do!
CTCT Employee

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for providing feedback. We really value your opinion. Our developers are aware of some confusion in this area and are working towards a resolution. Please continue providing any feedback that you have.

Previously, I could remove an excel sheet of contacts from a contact list (if i was sending out a promo that I didn't want booked guests to see). The activity log would show me how many were removed, and i could search the list to double check random removals against my spreadsheet. This new method of creating a remove list, then unchecking the list to remove the contacts from seems very vague, and when i check in activity log, it states ' x contacts added to lists' - no detail data successful removal from my list, and as far as i can tell, no ability to search for specific emails in a specific list. I may be doing this wrong..if anyone has a better method i'd love to hear it. FYI, i often remove 1000's of contacts from specific lists at certain times, but do not want to remove them permanently from my 'big list', just certain promos.
CTCT Employee

Hi Debs,

Thank you for reaching out to us!  With the new contact system we no longer offer the option to upload a file to remove contacts from a list, although you can still do that by taking some different steps, click on the link below for those steps:

Remove a file of contacts

If you would like this feature back, please continue to vote for this idea!

I also wanted to provide you with the steps on searching for a contact in a single list.  You can do that using the Advanced Search option.  Once you choose to search for an email address just choose Add Another, choose List, then type in the name of the list.  This will search just that contact list for that email address.

If you have any other questions or feedback, please let us know!  You can contact our support team by phone at 800-240-2302.

Thank you for using Constant Contact!

CTCT Employee

All Star
1. The new contacts manager no longer permits removal by upload, so I cannot clean a specific list using file upload. I now have to delete the list and reupload fresh. Not as helpful as the previous version. 2. In Chrome, I can only view 8 lists in the left side bar (Email Lists), so cannot get to some of the action commands. View All Lists only displays in the central part of the screen. So far, not enjoying using the new version. Was very happy with the old version, so am struggling to see what benefits the new version has provided. Please fix the removal bug urgently, or I will be looking around for alternative providers.
CTCT Employee

Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback about the new Contacts page Jeremy.  If you would like to remove a file of contacts, Click Here for step by step instructions under Improved Contacts Page.  If you want to delete those contacts from your Active contacts Click Here for instructions and look at Delete From Account. I sent you an email with my contact information, I would be happy to give you a call and introduce you to all the new features.  If you have immediate questions please chat or call out support team at 800-240-2302.

CTCT Employee

Occasional Contributor
I was trying to make sure that my contacts on one list, were not on my other larger list. I wanted to subtract them from the second list -- not add them. I had to call for help, because I couldn't figure out how to do that. It turns out that you have to click on "add to email list" which is counter intuitive. I'd suggest you change the name in the tool bar to "merging/segregating lists".
Just wanted to say that the new way to go about removing a list of people from a current list is NOT at all easy to do or intuitive. Very terrible, actually.
You used to be able to do so my clicking "Remove" and then pasting a list of email addresses to remove from the list. I use this often. I do not see that this feature is available any longer. If it it still available, where is it? If not, please bring it back! It is the easiest way to remove those who have already signed up for a program, for example, so they don't receive another email about it - without having to manually search for 75 names and remove them from that specific list, or to export a large list and then re-import a large list.
Occasional Contributor
It's not apparent on how to remove a contact from the contacts page...that I should click on the email address. I had to call in to be told this...is this really necessary???
Frequent Visitor
Really miss the ability to just grab a bunch of contacts and dump them into a field to remove them. Now I have to go to My Settings and check a little box to even have the option to mass remove (why have it defaulted this way). Then I have to save an upload a file. Why complicate something that was previously so simple?
Occasional Advisor
I've been using CC for a looooooooooooong time. One of the things I frequently do is remove one list of contacts from another. The old way of doing it was clean and made me feel confident that it was happening correctly. I had to go through tech support to find out how to do it now, and the solution is VERY convoluted and totally non-intuitive. And I have little confidence that i was doing the steps correctly because it's so non-obvious. Please bring back the old way of removing a bulk list from another!
Advisor

HI,

Thank you for your post. We do have this feature, however by default it is turned off to protect our customers from not mistakenly unsubscribing a bunch of their contacts. You can turn it on by going into my settings, but once it is on it stays on, you will need to go back in to turn it off.

Ken

Advisor

I ran and exported about 40 email reports to see who consistently wasn't opening my emails. I want to remove those emails from my list. There are about 500 people. It would be great if I didn't have to remove them one by one.
Frequent Visitor
I don't have to do this on a regular basis, but now find myself in a situation where I need to remove about 150 contacts from a list of 3000+ contacts. I am astonished to see that I can't upload my file and "remove" these contacts from the list (didn't I used to be able to do that?). It is going to take me at least an hour to locate and remove each of these contacts individually. Seems so strange that there is no easy/intuitive way to do this. Very user un-friendly.
All Star

I concur 100% with AudraN about the loss of the function for removing contacts from a list. That is something that used to be available and it seems strange that you would remove that option. AudraN should know however, that there is a totally non-intuitive way of removing those contacts en masse. It involves loading the contacts you want to remove to a separate list, then tagging those contacts, then "adding" them to your main list to remove them. Kinda crazy, but it works. The main problem is that I have to call each time I want to remove contacts (I also don't do this on a regular basis) to be reminded again on how exactly to accomplish it. PLEASE restore the Remove Contacs From a List function. Thank you.

It seems that in the new Constant Contact system it is not possible to remove individuals from one list without removing them from all lists - unless you go through page by page deleting each individual name. Sorry but this is ridiculous! I am trying to remove duplication from one list of 19000 and another of 4000. In the old system I could simply copy/paste the 4000 emails into the remove field of the other list and any duplication would be removed but without permanently blocking an email from the list. Now I have to go through page by page checking 4000 names against a list of 19000! How is that practical? Also, finding no other way to remove names I assumed that the delete function under Add Contacts would enable me to remove names from a particular list. And indeed it does - except now I find I have close to 5000 people blocked from my list so that I can never mail to them at all. And I am told there is no way to reverse this! I am sorry to say that after years of being with Constant Contact I am beyond frustrated and disappointed with your new interface, and let's not get on to the APIs!

I agree 100% with Juliett7 and AudraN - the new system is ridiculous and also dangerous as the only way I could find to remove names from what I thought was one list has removed them from ALL lists and I cannot add them back. I saw the message saying they were being permanently removed but I assumed that meant from the specific list - not from the entire database - because anything else didn't make sense!

PLEASE bring back a simple way to remove contacts. It is ridiculous to have to create a list and upload it and then go through the rigmarole of removing those names from the master list just to get people off the list. Yes, I know that I can remove all who bounce from an email in one go, and choose certain categories. But I have found that an address will sometimes hard bounce one week and not the next, so I always download 3 mailings worth of bounces, run them through a pivot table and then remove those that are three times bounces. Of course, if you would simply create a way to do this within the interface that would make a huge difference - and it should be difficult. Create an option to be able to see bounces for a group of emails not just one. The same idea would be extremely useful for removing non-opens. It is ridiculous to have to download multiple lists of opens over a period of time in order to work out who has not opened. Why is it not possible for me to simply query Constant Contact for any who have not opened in a given time period? Please add both these features. I have posted here multiple times and also asked support, and each time support tell me that I am not the only one asking for these two features, so I know people want it!
Please bring back the simple remove function that allowed you to dump the emails to be removed into one field and then have them removed from specific lists. It was SO much simpler and with less risk than the current system. Thank you!

Currently you can upload a file with updated contact information to update your contacts. It would be so helpful to be able to remove information from a contact's record in this way as well; or to remove a contact record completely. This would allow a lot of maintenance to be done offline and perhaps aid in speeding up the online environment as a result.  

This could be done by having two options when uploading a spreadsheet file:  Overwrite or Append.

Overwrite would remove any data in your contacts that you removed from the spreadsheet, as well as add or change. Append would just add or change (which is the current function). 

I have just spent 90 minutes including at least 30 minutes of support time for what would have been a five minute task if the screen that allowed mass removals from a given list was still in place. Please return this screen - thank you!

Hi, This is a feature i would use on a daily basis. We have events and we send out multiple campaigns for each event, as the event gets closer and people sign up we want to remove the people who have already rsvpd from recieving the blast. Once we are done with that event and move on to the next event we want the list to restart. **Removed by moderator** allows for this fairly easily, i maintain a database of the people who have already signed up for the event, and when i go to send a campaign, i ask it to send to everyone but the people i past into the box. This would be a great feature to have.