We all started somewhere! Share your experience on the Get Advice: Let's Get Started Sweepstakes thread and be entered to win a $100 credit on your Constant Contact account.

Search contact by "contains" detail

I am trying to search a contact by a detail of their email or last name, all of which I could select for in your old template, but this feature seems to have disappeared. Where is it? How am I supposed to do a detailed search now in your system?

22 Comments
JonL940
Participant
I have constructed lists for 100,000+ emails with a certain logic. Your changes have eliminated me being able to function! In particular your changes to the search and eliminating the "Advanced Search" is a disaster! Please Please revert or give us the option of keeping the old platform. so I can run my business efficiently. Otherwise it is time for me to find a new email provider as the ability to search/sort/reassign large data sets with multiple search criteria is completely gone. Very unhappy camper.
Frankie_P
Status changed to: Voting Open

Hi @AndrewK51122 at this time our updated contact management search tool can only search for addresses that 'begins with' or 'ends with' the search detail entered. It is a feature request we are tracking to have the ability of searching for contacts the way you have described. Because of this we have opened up your idea so other users can weigh in as well.

Frankie_P
Status changed to: Open Questions

Hi @JonL940 what logic are you looking for when viewing your contacts? Also, what details are you searching for through the previous advanced function?

AmyR167
Consulting & Training

Anyone else hate the new update to contacts?  the search field is now basically useless.  you can no longer search a partial for anything.  you need to enter the entire domain name, including .com  I used to put in a partial name or a partial company name in the search field and anything with that letter configuration would show up.  now you need the entire last name and have to drop down and select name.  or you have to put the entire domain and drop down and select domain.  a quick contacts search is no longer an option.  CONSTANT CONTACT DEVELOPERS - IF YOU ARE LISTENING - PLEASE BRING BACK THE OLD SEARCH CAPABILITIES OF A PARTIAL ACROSS ALL FIELDS.  

PaulineG783
Regular Participant
The new Search method is a big step backwards. I see no improvements over the old. I used to be able to search ALL fields for a word, but now I have to select the field.
Frankie_P

Hi @PaulineG783 which search section in your account are you speaking of? 

PaulineG783
Regular Participant

Contacts > Contacts

Electra7
Participant

Hi Frankie -

There's now a dropdown list for choosing how to search (name, company - etc).  The previous version with just one search box that found anything from any data field was great....  Thanks. 

Frankie_P

Hi @Electra7 thank you for sharing this feedback with us! The original thread you posted on was a general thread on our updated contact management dashboard. Because you are specifically speaking of the ability to search contacts with partial details I have merged your post into the appropriate thread on this feature request.

RCLB_Marketing
Participant
I use to be able to search the end of emails such as "@rclbenziger.com", but when I try in the new search, I get nothing. It would be easier to have this feature back. Many schools and parishes that are my customers change their email domains. When I am notified that a school has changed their email domain, I could simply search for the end of the email and then go through the list to update. Why did you take this away? Angela Harner
AndrewK51122
this new update eliminated the easy search feature where you can search by last name, email ending, etc. This new update is worse than the previous system in numerous ways... really annoying
NanciF65
Participant
I find it very hard to find contacts by the email domain in your new version of the contacts. It had been easy to make sure all emails were caught when making changes when a domain changed
tbarkanCAE
Participant
The new format sucks. For example, the Search in contacts used to take anything you put in and then search all fields. Now we have to pick which field adding another step. There are many examples where you have added steps and work for us, the customer/user. This new format is going backwards! Typical example of changing something that is less intuitive and easy to use just to add "new" features. Bad decision.
Frankie_P

Hi @tbarkanCAE  we’re sorry to hear you feel this way! Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We’re always open to ways we can better our user’s experience. Because of this we have merged your post into a larger, but similar thread.

KristinB893
Participant

I pretty sure that I used to be able to search by any part of a company name, but now I must put in the first part of the company name to pull it up successfully. For example, I can't just search for the restaurant we have with "Pizza" in the name, I have to actually type in "Round" to come up with "Round Table Pizza". Or, I have to type "The" to get "The Law Office of John Doe". 

We use Constant Contact to communicate with our clients who are companies. The contact people within those companies changes often. We need to easily be able to search by company name and this functionality has greatly decreased with the recent changes. 

DavidS0262
Participant

Please provide an expanded ability to search our subscriber databases. Your system used to provide this ability. Now, we have to know the exact email address, input the @ sign, etc., etc.

Searching has simply become too difficult.

Please, just provide the ability to search for a letter, combination of letters, a portion of an email, etc. I want to eliminate competitors, people who subscribe from organizations I don't want on my list and so on.

Please and thank you.

AndyE5
Participant
The search function needs to be improved. If I enter Smith, the search results should give me anyone who's first or last name is Smith AND any emails addresses that contain Smith (e.g., smith@abc.com or johnson@smith.com). It should also report all results for a given search or domain (e.g., @smith.com should report all email addresses from that domain). The search currently requires me to enter the exact full email to find the contact I want. If I enter only a partial, I get "no results" from my 2100 email subscribers. Overall I like the contact management system, but the search has never worked that way I expect a modern search engine should work.
BioPharmGuy
Participant
The contact search feature is pretty bad. I can search for a domain that I know is present and it comes up with nothing. Now I searched for a string that I know appears in the nondomain part of someone's email and that returned nothing too. Pretty bad.
Caitlin_M
Administrator

Hi @BioPharmGuy. Are you making sure to select Email Domain in the dropdown next to the search box? Also, you will need to add anything that comes after the domain such as .com or .org for the search to populate with results.

BioPharmGuy
Participant

I didnt realize that was a thing. Still doesn't explain why it doesn't return a string that I know is in an email. Can it only search for a string at the beginning of an email or name?

Caitlin_M
Administrator

Hi @BioPharmGuy. That is correct. The search feature as it is right now does not have a "contains" element to it and will only search for the beginning or end of a domain or other selection from the dropdown. We have an open thread that has this feature request so I will merge this there.

Frankie_P
Status changed to: Closed - No Action

Thank you for taking the time to post in the Community. We haven't heard back from you so we are going to close this idea. This doesn't mean that we aren't listening to your feedback! If you would like to continue the conversation, please feel free to reply here in the Community or vote on any of the other open ideas to let us know what you would like to see.

What happens with product feedback?

Find out about the life-cycle of a product idea when it is posted on our Feedback board.

Read More

What's New

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More