Select or exclude individual contacts/lists when sending email

Hey there! It would be great to have an efficient way to create exclusion lists. The tag system is a cumbersome process to go through when the goal is to simply send an email to List A, but exclude anyone who is also on List B. If a checkbox-to-exclude feature became a reality, you'd have a lot of happy customers! (I did search the "Constant Contact Community" when trying to find out how to exclude a list BTW.) 

I didn't necessarily want to post this particular message to the entire "community" but I couldn't find a way to just email my exclusion list request to your developers.

Thanks,

Kim

Top Answer
Kyle_R
Administrator

Hello,

We are considering this as Implemented with the addition of “AND” and “IS NOT” logic within the segments
feature. You can now create a segment for those who are a member of List A, and not a member of List B. After
this implementation sometime around mid-2021 we’ve seen requests on this particular feature drop off across
all of our feedback channels.

There was a large variety of use cases for this particular request, so this was the solution that had the widest range to address most of them. If you require additional filtering needs, you may be interested in adding your voice to one of these existing open ideas:

The ability to segment by specific date (before X or after X)

Additional Segment Criteria

For those looking to send an email to an individual contact, you may be interested in the Quick Send feature.

99 Comments
LauraR600
Marketing Legend

Only allowing us to add, not subtract, makes the entire process very clunky. Allow us to say: I want LIST A, except for those who are also in LIST B. This ought to be a basic function of a database, yet it's not present here.

BridgetW33
Rookie

Agree!

hult_center
Campaign Collaborator
Would love a way to designate existing lists as suppressions. So I can choose to mail a list but exclude people on another list.
Hannah_M

Thanks for sharing this feedback!

Jamazio
Campaign Contributor

I'm tired of time-wasting clunky work-arounds. The capacity to compile a mailing by subtracting lists as well as adding them is a common practice in many CRM-systems, and I want to see it included within CC.

Three cheers, Jamazio. Agreed.

USHS_Communications
Brand Visionary

Please create a function for list suppression.  For example, I would like to be able to upload a list of all donors who contributed to my nonprofit in November. When sending a solicitional email in December, I need to be able to suppress the list of November donors. 

RacielF
Rookie

Can't believe this is still missing. Years later.

JulieU1
Campaign Contributor

There needs to be a way to enter just ONE name in to send an email. I have a referral program and personalize a thank you to them. I don't want to create a list for every note I send out. I am a small business and it is important for me to personalize information to my existing clients.

JoyM31
Rookie

Yes, this is badly needed.

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More